Newsy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Newsy

2.3

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Newsy (Columbia, MO) in September 2017.

Interview

Excellent response time, emailed to st up interview. 10 min face to face. Straightforward questions about future plans in media industry, asked about interests so that the intern can be matched to specific duty

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer to write or edit videos? What media industry do you see yourself at in 5 years?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Newsy.

Interview

I inquired about an internship and was sent an application to fill out. About three weeks later, I was told to fill out a different application. I was contacted for an interview about a month later, and then was offered the internship a week later. They were a pretty new company at the time, so I really don't feel like they had their internship process and program organized very well.

Interview Questions

• What are your favorite TV shows?   Answer Question
    • Which type of news are you interested in working in? (World, Politics, Entertainment, etc.)   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Newsy (Columbia, MO) in January 2018.

Interview

Was a standard interview process, though it did include a series of tests I had not seen in previous newsrooms. All said it was straight-forward and thorough. Applicants won't be all that surprised by the interview.

Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Newsy (Columbia, MO) in August 2015.

Interview

I spoke to one manager, then to another, then a group conversation. Then hired. Altogether it was not a bad experience, and the people I was working with really were very helpful. It's a very young newsroom.

Interview Questions

• They asked me a question in the interview that was mainly about where I got my news, and I'm just going to type a few more words in to this box and a few more until I hit this word minimum that they give me.   1 Answer

Video Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Newsy (Columbia, MO) in September 2014.

Interview

It was very casual, not much interviewing at all. You walk into Newsy (which is a super confusing place by the way) and probably don't know where to go. They don't have much of a separate interview space, so it is pretty in the open. They ask not many questions as they seem to have a lot of openings always.

Interview Questions

• What experience with editing to you have?   1 Answer

Video Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Newsy (Columbia, MO) in April 2015.

Interview

Very informal interview. I had emailed them asking for any open positions, then they invited me to the office and we had a brief chat about my experience. They basically hired me right there because I had Final Cut Pro experience. Likely it is more official now - they have expanded and gained a reputation very quickly

Interview Questions

• What editing software have you used?   1 Answer

Content Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Newsy in July 2018.

Interview

I applied online in mid June and got an email from an HR representative at the end of July asking for my availability to have a phone interview. The actual phone interview went very well. It was on a Monday and she said that they would make a decision on who would move on to the second round of interviews the following Monday and I should hear back by mid next week.

After not hearing back that week I emailed her for a follow up and she replied calling me by a completely WRONG NAME in her email (even though I signed it with my name) and said that they were still in phase one of the interviews and had not made a decision about the second round yet.

Two days later I get a phone call and she left a voicemail (got my name right this time) and said that they decided to move forward with someone who has more experience.

I think the wrong name in the email was very unprofessional but otherwise it was an okay experience. (To clarify, in the testing portion of this review it listed drug test which would have been a part of the process if I had been selected but I didn't have to take one for my interview.)

Social Media Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Newsy.

Interview

I applied for the role online and was quickly contacted for a phone interview. I gave my availability on the one day the HR rep provided and didn't hear back. After the day of the proposed interview passed, I emailed to follow up and got a new phone interview date. On the phone, the rep was straightforward but cold and ostentatious (when I asked her to repeat herself she grew audibly annoyed). She then told me that they were looking for more experience, which is something that could have been gleaned from my resume. A big waste of time and a bad impression left by the company.

Interview Questions

• What is one package you conceived and executed that you're proud of?

What do you do when traffic is low and you need to get it up?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Newsy.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted 2 weeks later by a recruiter to arrange an interview. Interviewer was nice and questions weren't too difficult. Heard back 2 weeks later that they chose another candidate.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me a little bit about yourself

2. What are you looking to gain from this experience?   Answer Question