OkCupid Interview Questions | Glassdoor

OkCupid Interview Questions

Updated May 12, 2017

2.7

Community Moderator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OkCupid in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process itself was positive. Everyone I interacted with was friendly, comfortable to talk to, and did a great job of explaining what the role entailed. Typical interview questions pertaining to the role, with nothing that was out of left field or anything that was too difficult to answer without preparation.

I would have rated this experience 100% positive even without an offer, but there was one big hold back in doing so (the reason for the neutral rating). I completed a company specific cover letter, followed by an interview with the recruiter, then a writing exercise, and finally a 2:1 interview with the leads for the job. The process was about a month and I was excited and invested by the end of it. After my final interview, there were numerous emails exchanged between myself and the recruiter, he asked a few times if I was still interested, if I had other interviews or offers on the table, and told me that the feedback from my final interview was very positive. He emailed more than once after the deadline passed for when I was supposed to hear, letting me know a final decision had not been made and that he would be in touch as soon as that happened. And then... nothing. It would not have been so bad if I had not proactively been told more than once that I would hear either way, and the communication up to that point had been very good so I fully expected to see a decision even if it was not in my favor. I stalked my email, held off on other opportunities, emailed a few times with no response, and finally realized I was just not going to hear anything more from them. It was like a bad break up. I would have really appreciated a decline letter so at least I knew if I might be considered for future openings, should reapply if anything else opened, or even just a thanks, but no thanks. It was really unexpected considering how the rest of the process went.

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer working with someone constantly giving you direction or are you more self focused and get the job done on your own (Not in exact words, but basically).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OkCupid (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Very standard, though unusually short, interview process; nothing really out of the ordinary, from my perspective as an interviewee.

After applying through employee referral, I received an email from a recruiter at Match (the parent company) asking to start the interview process. From that point on, the process was more or less like any other: technical phone screen, followed by on-site, followed by -- in my case -- an offer.

Very and unusually quick turnaround time between interviews and feedback on next steps, most likely due to the small size of the company as a whole.

Interview Questions

• Range search. "Given a list of values, find all elements thereof between values A and B."   Answer Question
    • Performant matrix transposition.   Answer Question

Front-End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OkCupid (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

First, there was a phone interview with a member of the team. He had me do some CSS and jQuery in a shared doc.

Second, I went to their office. I met with two members of the team who asked me experience related questions, then two more members of the team, including the lead, who asked me technology related questions and had me do some CSS and jQuery on a whiteboard. After that, they had me do a no-internet test which included some basic tech knowledge and some code challenges (e.g. add comments to some pre-existing code, code and style a basic widget, optimize some inefficient jQuery). Then I had lunch with the team. Finally, I met with a member of the app team and the head of the product team (who oversees the app, front-end, and design teams -- and hires). They asked questions about how I would test and attempt to solve some user experience problems.

I later spoke with the CTO on the phone. They made it clear after the in-person that they wanted me, and after the final phone call that were going to get back to me with an offer, but after voicing some reservations I had about the position, they decided to pass.

Interview Questions

• The questions were almost disappointingly easy. You should be familiar enough with jQuery and CSS3 that you can to all the basic stuff without reference.   Answer Question

I took the interview because I really dig OkCupid, but I wasn't willing to extend my work day from 8 hours to 9 hours for a position that I'm sure wasn't right for my professional development, even though I would have really liked working with that team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OkCupid (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

Submitted their online test, then had a phone interview where I coded some solutions on google docs while talking to another engineer. Then was flown to NYC and given a hotel stay at Ace hotel, which was amazing. Their recruiting process definitely top notch, it was a pleasure speaking to them and they were very accommodating.

When I arrived for the interview, I talked to 2 pairs of 2 developers, seemed to be someone that had been there a long time and someone that had been there a shorter time in each group.

They have a custom brewed webserver and their way of solving scalability is definitely unique. I personally feel like the entire site is simple and could be written in a month or two by a few engineers, but I think their progress on new features is probably slowed by the complexity of their environment. They had an entire floor in their building in Manhattan and what looked like quite a few engineers. My programming prowess on the sample technical questions while in office didn't impress them, but had they given me the task of writing a new feature for their site while I was there, it probably would have.

Most of their developers come from ivy league schools, they said that is where they do their recruiting.

Mobile Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OkCupid (New York, NY) in October 2012.

Interview

Phone interview - onsite interview - decision

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OkCupid (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

online + phone + in-person, all technical.

Interview Questions

• reverse a linked list in linear time, with constrained memory, no second container allowed.   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OkCupid.

Interview

The guy seemed nice that interviewed me over the phone. The questions were standard for someone coming out of college, but I wasn't exactly ready for it, so I faltered. They were very respectful overall, and I honestly regard them as a pretty cool company. Maybe one day I will reapply