Open Society Foundations Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Open Society Foundations Interview Questions

Updated Oct 10, 2017

3.2

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Open Society Foundations.

Interview

Submitted resume through website, and received confirmation of first round interview -- almost 3 months after the fact -- over e-mail. The group interview took place via video, and focused on previous experience and subject matter expertise.

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Open Society Foundations (New York, NY).

Interview

Had a total of six interviews beggining with recruitment staff and ending with Program Director. Went through many panels and had to submit written samples of my work. The process was long (three months) and frankly very disorganized; with very little communication between the different interviews.

Interview Questions

• How do you believe change happens?   1 Answer

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Open Society Foundations (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process was efficient and transparent. HR moved quickly and was very responsive over email. After an initial interview via video with two members of the team, I had a panel interview, followed by a mock site visit with writing assignment, and then a final interview with the program director. Everyone was genuinely friendly and open about the benefits and challenges of working at OSF.

Interview Questions

• What were the push and pull factors that led you to apply for this position?   Answer Question

Policy Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Open Society Foundations (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied online, had a brief phone interview about a month after that. In person interview one month after that with three people, lasted about an hour. Completed timed writing exercise from home after that, and then went back for a final interview with two people, lasted about 30 minutes. Was then asked to submit three professional references, which were checked quickly.

Policy Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Open Society Foundations (Washington, DC).

Interview

A relatively protracted recruitment process--about a month after submitting an application online, I was invited to complete a quick initial screening interview conducted by a recruitment associate based in the NYC office. After this, I was invited to sit for an in-person interview which involved four panelists from the Washington office. About a week after this interview, I was asked to complete a 1-hour assessment which I was able to do at home. Then, I was asked to return for a second in-person interview, which involved the same panel. Then I was asked to supply references. In total, the entire process took over ten weeks.

Interview Questions

• If you had five minutes with the President, what issue would you raise and why?   Answer Question

Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Open Society Foundations (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

The whole process, from sending the application to getting the final decision, took around 3 months. The first stage was to have an interview with one hiring manager, second stage is an interview with two hiring managers and another team member. In the mean time, I was also interviewed by the HR officer for the Latin American Department. The third stage is to get a written assignment. In overall, the process ran very smoothly and the HR officer that was responsible of this process was excellent.

Communications Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Open Society Foundations (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Very Professional. I went through a first round screening with HR but unfortunately didn't make it past that. When I received the e-mail saying I didn't make it to the next round, I asked for feedback and received a prompt response with helpful feedback. Sad that I didn't get the job but I definitely respect an organization with solid recruiting practices.

Interview Questions

• What challenges do you think you'll face in this position?   Answer Question

Strategy Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Open Society Foundations (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

First I was invited to a 30 minute phone screening with a HR representative with generic questions about why I wanted the job, how I was qualified, etc. I was then invited to a four person panel interview via video conference, or in person if I was in NYC. The four panelists are staff members from the Strategy Unit, and they asked several competency based questions specific to the job description. I was informed that there would be another round of interviews and a written assignment, and potentially a final interview. However, I did not make it past the panel interview and was informed via a generic HR email that I would not move forward.

Interview Questions

• Give an example when you have explained a complex problem to someone.
      Give an example of coordinating among disparate offices or programs.
      How do you manage your time?
      What excites you about this position, and what gives you pause?   Answer Question

Program Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Open Society Foundations (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I was contacted for an interview about a month after I applied. I had a great phone screening that lasted 30 minutes. I was told I would be moving forward in the process and that I would hear from them in about a week to schedule a follow up interview. The next interview was a panel-type Skype interview with two members from the department. One of the interviewers was awful. Very aggressive and rude. He pointed out a typo on my cover letter which was totally fair, however then he proceeded to inquire about mistakes that I have made in the past. Each time I attempted to answer this, he suggested that my examples were not what he was looking for (it sounded like he was looking for me to tell him about a time I completely failed without any sort of redemption). I tried to explain how some of my mistakes have led to improvements in how I manage my time, my workload, my attention to details, etc. But he was not interested in hearing this. He also pointed out that my cover letter addressed my communication skills and he asked how comfortable I would be in NOT using my communication skills in this position. I explained that I was comfortable working independently, however I believe my communication skills would benefit my working relationships internally, etc. And he basically started picking up his phone and ignoring me.

After feeling like I bombed the most difficult interview of my life, I luckily made it to the next round of interviews. I had a written assignment to complete first but was then scheduled for an in-person interview with the director of the program. She was lovely. Super fun and nice and really lively. I thought we really clicked well, but I didn't end up getting the job offer. I was pretty disappointed but it is probably for the best since the other interviewer didn't seem to like me and I think it would have been difficult to work with him anyway.

Interview Questions

• Why are communication skills important?
      What is an example of good communication?
      What is an example of bad communication?
      Would I be comfortable not using my communication skills in this role?
      Can you tell me a time when you've made a mistake?   Answer Question

Legal Research Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Open Society Foundations.

Interview

It was fairly informal. They are looking for cooperative and engaged individuals. I was sent an email requesting me to select a time for the interview and whether it would be in person or online. I was then sent further details. The process was fairly informal and low key. I was interviewed by a single individual and it felt more like a conversation about who I am and what motivates me, rather than a test of intelligence or a competition.