OutboundEngine Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.5

Retenion Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at OutboundEngine (Austin, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

The recruiter called me to tell me that I was in no way correct for the position. Then told me he had more questions for me as "he was struggling to understand my credentials". After explaining to him I was a professional with 10 yrs experience with sales and retaining both customers and clients he continued to berate me and insist that I was in no way qualified (BTW - then why did you call me?) For preface: I moved to Austin 4 yrs ago in the tech industry. 1 company sold, 1 gig was contract, and the next outsourced the work to India; this guy could not grasp my value due to these details disregarding a solid 10 yrs or prior service. *it should be noted that per linkedin this recruiters personal job history was 1 yr, 2 yr, 1 yr, 1 yr, 1 yr, 3 yrs, 2 yr, etc. I really wanted to be a contributing part of this emerging technology and bring my skill set to benefit this incredible company. I wish the enterprise luck and hope for some sensitivity and human capital training for this terrible recruiter to spare others this experience. What a de-motivation for someone on the job hunt. I encourage others who approach this great company - ask for another avenue in the door if you get this guy.

Interview Questions

• Sounds like you have made a decision before you called me regarding my candidacy; have you?   1 Answer

Junior Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at OutboundEngine (Scottsdale, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

After a brief phone interview I was invited to schedule a face-to-face with the management team. I interviewed with three managers separately up to and including the director of the location in Scottsdale. They had more of a conversation with me than an interview, which I found refreshing.

Interview Questions

• They asked some about my outside of work interests in addition to some of the questions you might expect.   1 Answer

Customer Success Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at OutboundEngine (New York, NY).

Interview

*This is my personal experience, but not necessarily the experience of other people.*

I interviewed for a position that was new to the company, and the overall process took a very long time and did not include much communication or transparency. I feel like the nature of the role was probably the primary factor that impacted the length of time and decision process.

Total process:
    2 rounds of phone interviews
    3 rounds of in-person panel interviews

It was drawn out, I met with the same people on the phone and in person 2-3 times each. In the end, there was no feedback provided about my performance or reason I was not selected after an extensive interview process. I felt like they did not manage their own time or my time very effectively (inability to make a hiring decision effectively is a worrisome thing to see from a smaller company).

Interview Questions

• [Prompted with a basic business directive] Break down the core of the problem statement and list the information and actions that would be best effective to achieve the goal.   Answer Question

Jan 4, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Unfortunately it appears that you are leaving a review for the wrong company. Our company name is OutboundEngine, but we are located in Austin, TX and Scottsdale, AZ but we are not located in New ... More

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OutboundEngine (Austin, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online. I was contacted by HR Recruiter. First contact was great with the HR Recruiter. The second interview with the hiring manager was a little off. See more info below.

Interview Questions

• We discussed past work experience and some standard STAR questions. I was then referred to the hiring manager. The HR Recruiter emphasized selling excel skills to the hiring manager. I took this advice, but it did not seem to be the information the hiring manager wanted. The hiring manager wanted direct specific experience in a particular business process. The problem is, most people won't have that specific experience, but the skills we obtain are transferable. It was disappointing speaking with the hiring manager as it was deemed that I would not be qualified based on the resume glance.   1 Answer

Retention Client Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OutboundEngine (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was comprised of the standard tell me about your experience and tell me about a time when STAR interview question format.

The interviewers were extremely engaged in learning about my specific experience within the Retention segment and asked questions that required me to provide both anecdotal experience examples but also to provide specific tactical responses to their questions.
    I felt like I had a great opportunity to sell the team on my skills.

Interview Questions

• What methodologies have you used in the past to reduce churn?   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at OutboundEngine in August 2016.

Interview

Started off well and quickly became very unprofessional...We had a group interview where they give you a tour and the opportunity to shadow other inside sales reps and also provide lunch. I got called back for a second interview with a young girl and the recruiting director. The girl was very unprofessional, wearing a see-through dress where you could see her thong and bra, texting and picking her nails and overall rude. I thought the interview with the sales director went well but after following up I didn't get a job offer. This part takes the cake though. A few days later a different director reached out to me through LinkedIn and asked me if I would like to get "dinner and drinks one night."

Customer Success Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at OutboundEngine (Austin, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process accurately portrays the business. I have several friends that work here. All the value is placed in the business and no value is placed in you as a candidate. Also, make no mistake, this is a sales position. The "success" part of the job title is because the main KPI for this position is sales made monthly.
    They emailed me three times asking me to complete a writing assignment. Here are the questions:

1) You are a realtor in Wilmington, NC. Create a Facebook business page that shows how committed you are to the local boating community. Please copy and paste the Facebook URL as your answer to this question.

2) You work at a hotel, and a customer booked a room with a king-size bed for their honeymoon. When they check in and walk into their room, they find it has two twin-sized beds. They send you an email and are very upset. How do you respond?

3) You work at OutboundEngine, and a customer emails in and asks, "Should I use your service and send out my own emails via Constant Contact?" How do you respond? "

After that round they scheduled a phone interview. The person I spoke with was flustered and disorganized the entire time. After speaking with him he scheduled a mock sales call. They sent me an assignment and a number to call to try to give a sales pitch to the person who picked up the phone. At this point i knew I could not work for this company, and I had just accepted a different offer with another startup in town, but I continued just to see how their process worked.

After the sales pitch call they scheduled an in person interview. It was very disorganized, there is no on site parking for candidates, and when I went to the office they told me to go to, there was no place to check in and I had to walk up to someones desk in order to get help.

The in person interview lasted two and a half hours. I shadowed an employee and then was interviewed by four different managers- who all asked the same questions.

Overall its a sad display of what happens when a startup gets funded and starts to forget that the people are what is most important.

Interview Questions

• Classic tell me about a time when... type questions. Why do you want to work here? what got you interested in outbound engine? lots of emphasis on the sales aspect of the job. One guys main interview question was "teach me something."   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at OutboundEngine.

Interview

I did the phone interview and the group information session. After the group session I knew I wouldn't move further. This place isn't for me. The manager leading the session explained a culture based on intimidating employees. Once I heard something to the nature of "if you have no sales they'll call your wife" and heard them shortened an employee's lunch time and made him feel bad for asking to eat! I checked out. The sales floor which they gave me a tour of, was busy, intense, and everybody was forcing their customer to pay for their service in a very aggressive manner.

Interview Questions

OutboundEngine Response

Nov 28, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

Im Sorry that you did not have a positive experience in our interview process. To clarify, we do not force our potential customers to pay for a service and I would say that we are more consultative ... More

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at OutboundEngine in May 2016.

Interview

Poor interviewer with a weak handshake. Asked me three or four questions then expected me to fill in the rest of the time with my own questions. When I asked my questions she responded with "um, OK, do you have any important questions?"

Interview Questions

OutboundEngine Response

Nov 28, 2016 – Director of Recruiting

We have recently made changes to our interview process in the last three months, in doing so we have trained our managers to be prepared for interviews. They are engaged and will ask candidates ... More

Customer Success Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OutboundEngine (Austin, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

There was a phone screening, then a follow up phone interview in which I had to sell a gym membership, then roughly two hours of in-person interviews. The phone screen was run by someone who obviously didn't have much experience, then the "faux sales pitch" was run by a seasoned salesperson. The in-person interview was three 45 minute back to back interviews with CS Managers.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years, and how does OE get you there?   Answer Question