OverDrive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

OverDrive Interview Questions

3.1

Account Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at OverDrive (Cleveland, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied to an Account Specialist position with OverDrive at the beginning of October. I followed up with my application twice before finally receiving a response from the recruiter, who was extremely helpful. The recruiter told me the original position I has applied for had been filled but that there was another Account Specialist position open with another team. He set me up with a phone interview, which lasted approximately 45-60 minutes. The recruiter was very personable and ended the conversation by informing me that he felt like I would be a great addition to their team and was going to inform the hiring manager. He also said that the company had a number of positions open and that he would give my resume around to other hiring managers as well to see if anyone was interested.

I was contacted mid November for an in-person interview with the hiring manager. Before meeting with her, I was given a 30 minute writing test to complete on the computer. The interview lasted approximately an hour further and the hiring manager left me feeling pretty optimistic about the opportunity.

The following week I was contacted by the recruiter again and was informed that, although I was still in consideration for the previous position, another manager wanted to meet with me. I went in for another interview the following week and met with the hiring manager initially, then ended the interview by meeting with two key team members. I was also required to provide writing samples for this second in-person interview as well.

With the Holidays, it wasn't until two weeks later that I attempted to follow-up. I received a response the next week and was told that with it being. Holiday season, things were going a little slower and that I would hear back within the next few weeks. When I didn't hear back, I followed-up again but received no response. Upon receding another offer somewhere else, I quit trying.

Overall, I felt like I was getting a run around from OverDrive. I met all of the requirements for both positions I applied for and the interviews went seemingly well but yet there was no response. With both positions being extremely low-paying, I was hesitant to even apply but I felt the culture of the company would make it worth it.

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at OverDrive in June 2016.

Interview

homework i had to bring in, quiz i had to complete in 30 minutes showcasing my skills, met with the owner along with two other employees from the department i was applying for

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at OverDrive (Cleveland, OH) in June 2016.

Interview

I was referred by a friend. I did some initial phone calls. Then since I was out of the area, they were gracious in allowing me to schedule an interview about a month out.

The in-house recruiter seemed nice and all however he seemed quite unprofessional. He wouldn't return my emails confirming receipt of my application or confirming my interview, I had to call day of when was actually in town to confirm these things. He also seemed sidetracked by seeing other people he needed talk to at the time while giving me a tour. I was promised hearing back the following Friday. I emailed him the Monday after and again no reply. I finally got a standard rejection email 1.5 weeks later, no personal touch here. His flexibility was nice however.

I liked the company but the position didn't seem to be a good fit for me.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was disappointed in this interview because they never gave me the opportunity to really "sell myself" to them as a candidate. It was a very one-sided interview.

Two guys interviewed me for a software position.

The whole time I was asked a series of questions (some technical, some were Google-type mind games...) in which it was me fishing for the "three or four textbook answers" they wanted. When I only got two or three out of the four answers, it looked like they were disappointed. Sorry, this is to be expected when I get two minutes to answer something that took your team of engineers weeks to answer and solve, and unlike me they probably had Stack Overflow and Google at their disposal.

By the time they finished the "textbook answer" session of the interview, there were 5 or ten minutes left. (and I finally had the chance to talk about the many, many projects I've worked on at previous jobs, and ask all of my questions... all in 5 or ten minutes left...) they had made up their minds and one guy stepped out of the interview. This was unfortunate.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the amount of profit that a gas station with four pumps can produce per day.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OverDrive (Cleveland, OH) in February 2016.

Interview

Phone interview was also technical interview. Technical interview involved basic definition questions (difference between public, private, and protected; what does it mean when something is static?) as well as more difficult questions to see how the interviewee thinks through problems and comes to a solution.

Interview Questions

• Fill an array of size 10 with unique random integers 1-100. How do you guarantee that your method will finish? This is mainly to see how you, the interviewee, thinks through a problem   Answer Question

International Business Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garfield Heights, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OverDrive (Garfield Heights, OH) in July 2015.

Interview

Started the process with a phone interview. I was asked to go to overdrive for an in-person interview. The interview took around 45 minutes. I got called back for a second in-person interview. I interviewed the CEO, COO and head of the department of the job I was interviewing for. the staff was friendly but the interview process was very unprofessional. I was dressed in a business professional attire while they were dressed in a casual attire. The questions were very generic questions that every single person asked. The questions in my second in-person interview were similar to the first interview and they were asked by the same person. The whole interview was very repetitive and made me feel that they were not paying attention to my answers. The whole process was unorganized with all the times set being changed and the Email sent with the interview information was horrible. It did not help at all. It was also sent to me multiple times for every interview. Finally when I got an answer back it was through an automated Email that other companies send to someone when they do not want the person after just looking at his resume. I felt disrespected by the final Email received. I did not go through the whole process and making all the drives to receive a two sentence Email. At least reply with the reason you went with the other candidate and a personalized thank you note. The pay is also very low for such a job and was not worth all the effort of the interviews. The job's pay is 15000 below the average pay a college student with a degree deserves.

Analyst, Collection Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garfield Heights, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at OverDrive (Garfield Heights, OH) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied for the Analyst position via the Overdrive corporate web site, and about a week later, I was contacted to set up a phone interview. I was called on-time by the Overdrive recruiter on the day of the interview. There were four or five basic questions like "Why do you want to work for Overdrive?" and "What three words describe you best?" The process took about 30
    minutes. At the end of the interview, I was asked to come to Overdrive's corporate headquarters for an in-person interview. We scheduled this for the following week.

In the seven days between interviews, I received an e-mail from the Overdrive recruiter with the company's official application and some preparatory information. It mentioned the dress would be business professional (which I've always taken to mean "suit and tie") and focused most heavily on points involving sales experience and personal passions. There was a bit of a buzzword-y quality to some of the material, which seemed contrary to Overdrive's projected young/fun image. Overall, the prep info wasn't especially well-written, with some bullet points restating earlier points almost verbatim. Regardless, I took some time to think about each point and how my own experience or ideas might apply.

On the day of my interview, I arrived early and was met shortly thereafter by the recruiter. He was wearing shorts and sandals, and while I understood Overdrive to have a rather casual dress code, it made me feel pretty overdressed in my "business professional" attire. He walked me to the interview room.

The first of two 1-on-1 interviews was with a department manager. This took 45 minutes, and I only remember being asked a couple of broad questions during that time. She spent most of the interview speaking at length about Overdrive's priorities and upcoming initiatives, with some discussion of the Analyst position and how it related to other positions (such as the Specialist) in the department. It felt more like a formal introduction than an interview, but the discourse felt natural.

The second 1-on-1 was with a part-time employee who serves as an advisor to the Analysts. She read her questions directly from a printed sheet, and they were mostly standard fare (a time when you went above and beyond, the role you inhabit in a team, an instance of detail-oriented work, something in which you take pride, and so on). There wasn't much follow-up or discussion, as she mostly went down the list and asked her printed questions in order. Remembering the multiple mentions of sales culture and passion in the prep info, I tried to work that type of energy into my responses, but I don't think that was what she wanted to see. Eventually, she leveled with me and mentioned that most of the people at Overdrive just work in a cubicle all day, and she stated there wouldn't be much for an Analyst to do but write lists of book titles all day long. At that point, I decided that Overdrive was probably not a good place for me to work, though I didn't mention that to the interviewer. We wrapped up the interview, and the recruiter came back to lead me out.

Overall, I was disappointed to find out the position would be so limited in scope, and that the culture was so boxed-in. Clearly, there was little to no sales activity involved for an Analyst, and I don't think I could ever find any passion or energy in writing lists of books for eight hours a day. Why were these ideas so heavily pressed in the preparatory information when they really had nothing to do with the position? And why was I asked to dress in business professional clothing when the employees' attire barely skirts the low edge of business casual?

Everyone I met during the process was polite and courteous, but none of them struck me as being especially excited about Overdrive. Now that I have a better idea of what the culture is like, I guess I don't blame them. The company's recruiting material advertises a group of "innovative, passionate masterminds" looking for "creative leaders," but I don't think I met any of those people.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at OverDrive (Cleveland, OH) in August 2012.

Interview

Showed up with lots of show and tell, as requested. Show and tell totally ignored. Asked one question by harried CEO and when that was answered, he tuned out completely.

Interview Questions

• Have you downloaded one of our ebooks?   1 Answer

IT Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OverDrive in April 2010.

Interview

Phone interview by an outside HR consultant. She was contracted by the company to provide qualified leads and make sure the company and applicant were not wasting each other's time if they didn't fit the organizations position and salary contstraints.

The interview was very thorough yet not technical in nature.