OverDrive Reviews | Glassdoor

OverDrive Reviews

Full-timePart-time

Steve Potash

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great company to work for."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at OverDrive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was employed for OverDrive in the development department and I can't say enough good things about the company. The CEO is a genuinely nice person, they work culture is relaxed and the grounds are beautiful.

Cons

Could have more structure when it comes to productivity/goals/work. I love the culture, but it left a lot of room for people to not work.

"It was an okay experience..."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at OverDrive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I worked for OverDrive the company was still small and fun. Benefits were nice, staff was nice, office was always clean and comfortable.

Cons

CEO would be very intense at times. The pressure to sell was always there.

Advice to Management

Keep all channels of communication open. It's very important to communicate from the top-down; work on being as transparent as possible.

"Meh"

I worked at OverDrive full-time

Pros

Developers are overall smart and concerned about quality.

Cons

Business needs and CEO demands compromise the quality of all software released by rushing to meet deadlines for trade shows.

Advice to Management

Give the developers more autonomy - they produce all the value for the company, but never get to decide the best way to build what they should be building.

"Great Environment"

I have been working at OverDrive full-time

Pros

- Great work environment
    - Spend money to make employees happy
    - Perks like crossfit classes, walking path, golf hole
    - Professional development
    - Flexible schedule
    - Employee appreciation

Cons

- Sometimes speed is emphasized over quality
    - Some tension between departments

Advice to Management

Keep giving your employees opportunities to grow. Stay competitive to keep good people.

"So so.."

Pros

Flex scheduling, casual dress code, laidback environment, nice building, overall decent coworkers, good health benefits, lots of perks geared at the 20/30-somethings that make up majority of the staff

Cons

CEO is downright disrespectful & rude to employees that are not on his good side. He has his "people" that he looks out for and that's it. Pay is crap, no standards for raises or promotions across departments so it's all based on your manager, how effective they are or how much they even care, to advocate on your behalf. Lots of pushing products/services through before ready, creates lots of problems company wide. Some people feel entitled because of how long they've been at the company, and are rude & condescending. Lots of talented people have left in 2016 because the leadership is terrible & they are wasting their talents at a company that doesn't value its good employees.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees well. Pay them well, give them meaningful career opportunities, or else you will continue to lose top talent (as you already have). Follow your handbook and its policies - ENFORCE them when there is abuse. Stop depending on surveys so much, no one is truthful on those for fear of having it traced back to them. Be more collaborative across the board, don't rush things because you want to stay ahead of the curve.

6. "Meh"

I worked at OverDrive full-time

Pros

I loved what I did, and I really believed in and appreciated the product and what the company was doing

Cons

Treated employees like they were completely disposable. Did not encourage a healthy work-life balance. Horrible pay/toxic environment

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging. Try to improve the culture so that people enjoy being at work. Rules and expectations should be standard for the whole company and not based on individual departments/managers

"Great fast paced company and fun environment"

I have been working at OverDrive full-time

Pros

I have been a professional for 20 years and OverDrive, hands down, is the most fun place I have ever worked.

Lots of benefits for you to unwind. Walking/running trail, Par 3 golf hole and Crossfit classes 3 days a week are a few of the benefits we have here.

As for work, I get challenged daily and work with cutting edge technology. I constantly learn new things and stay ahead of the curve here.

Cons

As people have noted, salary needs improvement. There are still some weird things here and there that happen which make you raise your eyebrow but they are not a dealbreaker, for me.

Some leadership decisions are questionable but don't affect me directly so I cannot comment too much in that regard.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees. The surveys that are conducted are leading to noticeable improvements.

Get the right people into leadership positions. This is critical for moving forward.

"Not Recommended"

Pros

The company has potential to be great. There are several positive things that are taking place each day.

Cons

There is a lot of negative energy within the company. I find it hard to get through the day without feeling like I am back in high school. The teams within the company are very segregated and unwilling to communicate in the ways a company should. Changes are communicated very poorly to employees and half of the time not communicated at all. Management is terrible and unless you are somehow related to the CEO do not expect any type of promotion. The company portrays the attitude of a Silicon Valley establishment but is no where near up to par with the technological advances in California.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees and keep everyone on the same page.

9. "Good Company to Work For"

I have been working at OverDrive full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, still a start-up culture with willingness to adapt to market needs. Great work-life balance and benefits are generally good.

Cons

Pay is not competitive and sometimes roles and projects are undefined

Advice to Management

Pay employees more competitive salary.

"Google "wanna be""

Former Employee - Specialist I in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Specialist I in Cleveland, OH

I worked at OverDrive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, new building and technology, par 3 golf hole and ping pong table, basketball court, crossfit classes during lunch, locker rooms, on-site "market, good benefits, little micromanagement

Cons

Low pay, managers who don't take responsibility for issues, inter-department breakdowns, trying too much at once, need to focus on core business and technology

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more