OverDrive Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Potash

1. "Great company to work for."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at OverDrive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was employed for OverDrive in the development department and I can't say enough good things about the company. The CEO is a genuinely nice person, they work culture is relaxed and the grounds are beautiful.

Cons

Could have more structure when it comes to productivity/goals/work. I love the culture, but it left a lot of room for people to not work.

"It was an okay experience..."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at OverDrive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I worked for OverDrive the company was still small and fun. Benefits were nice, staff was nice, office was always clean and comfortable.

Cons

CEO would be very intense at times. The pressure to sell was always there.

Advice to Management

Keep all channels of communication open. It's very important to communicate from the top-down; work on being as transparent as possible.

"Google "wanna be""

Former Employee - Specialist I in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Specialist I in Cleveland, OH

I worked at OverDrive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, new building and technology, par 3 golf hole and ping pong table, basketball court, crossfit classes during lunch, locker rooms, on-site "market, good benefits, little micromanagement

Cons

Low pay, managers who don't take responsibility for issues, inter-department breakdowns, trying too much at once, need to focus on core business and technology

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more

"Great environment"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at OverDrive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of perks, good benefits and activities, casual environment, great product. There are people who will encourage, challenge, and help you grow.

Cons

Even though the product is great, there needs to be better planning of new features to truly maximize benefits to the customer. Some managers are good at this, others are not.

Advice to Management

There needs to be better inter-department collaboration, there are a lot of shared interests and resources that are not fully utilized.

"Best Employer I've had!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at OverDrive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OverDrive is full of passionate people that are working in a positive atmosphere. Being a smaller company they definitely still communicate with their employees on happenings around the office. You can always find a friendly face and someone with brilliant ideas that just need time to execute. Compared to previous full time employers OverDrive has been my best experience. There are many other perks with events and activities inside the campus to help break up your day and everyone is encouraged to participate.

Cons

Hiring process could be made easier, be patient it takes a couple interviews and working around other people's schedules as it is a smaller company a lot of management does a lot of the work too.

Advice to Management

Keep on communicating the successes and things that need work and be open to suggestions.

"Clique, inc"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at OverDrive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Watching the CEO drunkenly wave a golf hole flag around at the Christmas party was hilariously cringe-worthy.

Cons

If you aren't part of the club (those with 10+ years in the company), don't expect to be considered anything other than replaceable. They'd sooner higher outside than promote.

Advice to Management

Discriminatory business deals with content providers will only protect your company for so long.

"Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garfield Heights, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garfield Heights, OH

I have been working at OverDrive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros of working here are: Friendly staff, great culture, good benefits. Fast-paced business with lots of learning and growth potential.

Cons

The cons of working here are: Lack of consistency and cohesion between departments, lower pay scale.

"Good benefits but under payed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at OverDrive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The perks are great. They like to do little things for their employees, such as bringing in some food or dessert, giving little gift cards for a job well done and the holiday party is by far my favorite part of the year. They have good health insurance and their matching of 401Ks is also very good. They also offer free workout classes on lunch every day.

Cons

A great deal of the employees are way under payed. When you have big plans for your life, especially once you've been there for a few years, and you are being payed way under the industry standard, sometimes it gets tough to be excited about work.

Advice to Management

Pay employees closer to industry standards.

"Think about it - why would a current employee(s) from the company leave a reviews on a recruiting site?"

Former Employee - Account Specialist in Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at OverDrive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When the company was smaller - less politics! The atmosphere was fun in 2007!

Cons

You cannot trust anyone in Library Partner Services department. There are over 10 plus people doing the same job. New building in the ghetto!

Advice to Management

My last manager new the processes but lacked the knowledge on how to do them. Several times she requested I speak to my circle leader to help with the task since she could not help me with....and you are a Director? Worst manager I ever had in my 10 plus years as a profession.

If you choose to work in Library Partner Services, get to used to saying 'I apologize' in your emails along with the worst sugar coated/canned responses due to OverDrive not SHARING the entire truth to their PAID customers.

Train your managers better! Make them learn their team and the strengths and weaknesses they all bring to as a team. Too MUCH politics!

I am happy to see the high turnover rate happening. I think the structure of this company is horrific!

"This company is every bit as bad as its reputation"

Former Employee - Product Owner in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Product Owner in Cleveland, OH

I worked at OverDrive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is in a niche industry without a lot of competition. This is the only reason that this company is successful. Some of the tech folks are nice people but I did not have very positive interactions with anyone outside of software development.

Cons

I was encouraged repeatedly told tell our customers things that simply weren't true. This included promising dates and functionality that I knew we would never hit. Just about every other week our focus on what was highest priority shifted at the whims of upper management and what was promised to a customer that week. Meanwhile, all of the prior promises made, we were falling far, far behind on. I was very confused over the company's strategy as it seemed to change frequently (and I wasn't at the company very long). There was clearly no prioritization going on and if there was it was poorly executed and not communicated to those performing on projects. Management expected every to work overtime on a regular basis to try to meet these unrealistic promises.

I think the worst part of working here was the "yes man" attitude that management encouraged. The executives wanted all decisions going through them. There was no training or mentoring for junior people and no slack given at all. If you made a mistake you got severely reprimanded almost like a child. I can recall several instances where I could hear executives yelling at a person and even witnessed this occur in front of me at one point - with no warning of it coming and I felt it was unjustified. It really affected the culture of this company and made it a very unpleasant place to work. My time at this company was short and I definitely would not recommend it to others.

Advice to Management

How has the Board of Directors not replaced the execs at this company yet? I really feel like they have the wool pulled over their eyes by the executives about how this company really operates.