Oxera Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 6, 2017

3.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Oxera

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxera in June 2016.

Interview

The application process had some tests and 3 interview rounds. Tests are a Watson Glaser and an economic assessment.

First interview is conducted by two senior consultants. Only very few motivational questions, but they asked a lot about my previous experiences. Then questions about competition economics, regulation and econometrics. After this a 40 minute written case study, you can pick from 5 questions and have to explain in a way a client would also understand without economic knowledge.

Second round is conducted by 2 partners. Involved competition economics, corporate finance and some econometrics.

Third round was facilitated by a partner and a senior partner. They were interested in whether I fit into a specific team, so questions were related to that, plus the usual 'how would you explain XY to a client'.

Overall, very nice and accomodating, but challenging experience.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Oxera (Oxford, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

Invited to a single final round interview + written assignment following online numerical tests. The interview was 2 on 1. Questions were reasonable difficulty, mainly competition related and case studies were based on recent real life projects. The interview was supposed to be 1hr but ended up being 1hr 45 mins. I felt that the last question asked (it was a question about my experience, not a technical one) was unfair and that the interviewer had made an unreasonable snap judgement about me. Written test followed. I was told that it was ably for the purpose of judging whether I could write in whole sentences, so nothing to worry about. It was mentioned that there were 25 candidates interviewing so not to expect to hear back soon. 3 months passed during which I received and accepted another offer. I finally emailed them wondering about the outcome of my application. Didn't receive a response but got an automated rejection the same day. Seems like the company had no qualms taking up 3hrs of my day but couldn't even be bothered to inform me of the outcome of the interview.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxera.

Interview

The whole experience was very positive. The online application comes first, after which I was accepted for an interview. The interviewers were young, qualified, and amiable. I was asked first about my background and my knowledge of Oxera. The technical questions were difficult--I had to build a regression model on the spot. Simpler questions on supply, demand, and regulatory economics were not terrible.

They finished with a written policy memo in which I was given a computer to write a summary of a short report.

Interview Questions

• The technical questions were difficult--I had to build a regression model on the spot. Simpler questions on supply, demand, and regulatory economics were not terrible.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxera.

Interview

You submit your application through their website, in which you have to answer motivational questions (why Oxera? Why economic consulting?) and give them many details regarding your CV (they ask for grades). If your application is successful, they ask you to complete 2 tests. The first covers a wide range of microeconomic and econometric concepts, with a lot of practical questions. The second is a critical thinking test. All the questions are multiple choice type. If your application is again successful, they invite you for a final technical interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the formula of price elasticity?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Oxera (Oxford, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Total process took about 5 months. First was an economics-based test that covered undergraduate (first - second year) microeconomics concepts. Next was the critical thinking Glasson Wasser test. Finally after I passed the test I was invited to a first round interview. I passed the first round interview and was invited back for a final round.
    First round interview was with Senior Analysts
    Second round interview was with partners.
    The first round interview was not too complicated, but the partner interview was more complicated and they asked a few technical questions.

Interview Questions

• about 3 - 4 motivational based questions:
      why do you want to do economic consulting?
      what makes you a good economic consultant?
      what do you like about Oxera?
      where do you see yourself in 5 years?

the rest were case studies. I was asked questions on competition economics, and asked how i would use econometrics to evaluate if a company was participating in a cartel or not.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oxera (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Some online tests (apparently these were for calibration for future years, rather than affecting the outcome) and the standard information and a couple of questions (things like why do you want to do an internship here etc)

There was then an interview at the London office

Interview Questions

• Questions focused on hypothetical competition regulation (regulating a bridge between 2 islands) and some discussion of the financing the hypothetical bridge. Focused on simple economics/finance concepts but really pushed how these are applied to regulation/competition. Outside the box, critical evalutation of the questions was encouraged.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Graduate Economics Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxera.

Interview

I applied online. I had to send a CV and answer to the following questions: 1)Why do you want to pursue a career as an economic consultant? 2) Why do you want to work for Oxera? Please describe how you can add value to the company and how you think you will learn from us. 3) Please give details of any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements that will support your application.

I was interviewed in their Oxford office. I had an interview with two senior consultants for 1 hour and I was then invited to a written test. Everyone was very nice. I was not invited for a 2nd interview.

Interview Questions

• During the interview they briefly asked me about myself and my interests (dissertation subject etc.) and why I wanted to be an economic consultant. But the largest part of the interview was technical questions about economics, econometrics. It is good to have a knowledge of UK regulations (although they explained me some key points very kindly since I'm not from the UK). The test was easier: I had to explain an economic concept (that I chose from a list) in a simple way.   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Oxera (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Online application, followed by an online Situational Judgment Test and then an interview with two senior consultants. Questions were case specific, focussing on two merger cases and one performance review. The level of economic understanding expected was reasonably high, with a focus on microeconomics and econometrics. I am still waiting to hear back, although the consultants were very pleasant and the experience was overall enjoyable. I then also had to do a written test wherein I had to write an essay on one out of six topics.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oxera (Oxford, England (UK)) in February 2011.

Interview

To apply to the company you need to send your CV, a covering letter, and details of referees, after which you may be invited for an interview. I was invited for a first round interview.

The Oxford office is a short walk from the railway station, and is done up very nicely. Everyone I interacted with was friendly and reassuring. The process consisted of a 1 hour interview with Senior Consultants (2:1), followed by a short 40 minute test. It helps to be familiar with industrial / regulatory economics.

Had I been successful, I would have been invited back for a second and final round interview with a Director (tentative).

Interview Questions

• It was a subquestion regarding an aspect of economic regulation. I might have found it more difficult due to my lack of exposure to the field.   6 Answers