POPSUGAR Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at POPSUGAR

2.8

Junior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at POPSUGAR (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

NYC Office: Took almost a month before I heard anything. I applied through LinkedIn probably early February. Had a phone call with one of the senior project managers. Went in a week later. Met with 3 project managers, 2 account managers and spoke to the head of project managers in SF via telecom.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in three words
      How do you manage multiple projects
      Why Popsugar   Answer Question

Junior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at POPSUGAR (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Their first junior project manager job. Seems like they really just wanted someone to do busy work or do whatever they wanted. The interview process was quick. I applied online and was contacted a while after, like maybe a month and a half later. I interviewed with two people on the project management team, two people on the account management team because they work very closely together and the head of the project management division in SF via telecom. Never heard from Popsugar, very sleazy. Don't have a good outlook on them and don't suggest friends to go to them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself
      I don't remember any others but all very easy   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at POPSUGAR (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Initially contacted by HR via email about two weeks after applying. Was asked to complete a take-home assignment. The assignment was straight-forward and I completed it within a few hours. It was an appropriate difficulty for the position I was applying for and gave me a chance to demonstrate my ability.

After submitting the assignment I was contacted again a few days later by HR via email. Two technical phone screens were scheduled. I was interviewed by two senior devs from the same team I would be working with. The tone of the interviews were conversational and comfortable. They asked questions that were relevant to the position. I prepared by Googling generic interview questions for the position and reviewing a popular book for my programming language and that served me very well. There weren't really any tricky/surprising questions or logic puzzles that you might get elsewhere.

After the two tech interviews I was contacted by HR for an on-site interview. I was flown on-site and put in a very nice hotel within walking distance of the office. The on-site interview consisted of 5-6 rounds. I was interviewed by the entire team and the manager. I was asked to discuss my previous work, whiteboard a mock application using OOP design, a few more technical questions (again no surprises), and a few simple questions on big-O. Finally I was asked to discuss my interest with PopSugar (make sure you do some research about PopSugar and be able to have a non-technical conversational discussion about it).

I was contacted by phone two days later with an offer.

PopSugar has great synergy between the engineering teams. That being said it's important that you are able see the big picture beyond just your role. Have a look at the PopSugar products and ask questions about the big picture during your phone interviews so that you are prepared for the discussion on-site.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at POPSUGAR (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

I first had a phone call with the Engineering director who got a sense of my general CS skills asking me questions about some data structures, then I had a call with an Engineer of the team asking me questions about programming in general and the Java language, and finally a live coding exercise.

Interview Questions

• Data structures questions, then some random questions about Java, and finally a live coding exercise   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at POPSUGAR (San Jose, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

For the phone screen the HR called me to ask very basic questions, such as which area I was interested in, when I could start, when I would graduate, and so forth. It took ~10 minutes. Then the hiring manager called me. He asked a few questions, none of which had to do with programming. It took ~30 minutes. My background did not match the position so they didn't give me on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• stack vs. heap. Form a simple SQL query. Binary tree vs. binary search tree.   Answer Question

Strategy & Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at POPSUGAR.

Interview

The process was unorganized and random. Over a 4 week period I spoke with 6 different people and even partook in a case like interview. The office vibe is hard to gauge as the NY office is fairly new and they're only just expanding.

Interview Questions

• Had to come prepared with new business ideas. From one of those ideas, I had to do a market sizing case question.   Answer Question

Art Director Interview

Interview

My interview process at POPSUGAR was more thorough than most interviews I've had in the past, which lead me to believe they are careful about who they chose for their team. Julia was helpful, organized and very knowledgable about the company. There was constant communication and I was never left in the dark about the status of the job position. Everyone I met with was very professional which made the entire experience more enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• How will you handle managing multiple projects at one time?   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at POPSUGAR (San Francisco, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Long, drawn out communication, nice point of contact however

Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at POPSUGAR (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

In an age of Netflix and chill, Millennial pink and hashtags, it seems ghosting is no longer reserved for the realms of Tinder/Bumble/Grindr (or whatever other dating app you might use).

We might as well start from the beginning.

I applied for the role of Assistant Editor in early January and was contacted by HR a few days later, requesting that I complete a fairly lengthy editorial test. After submitting my work and not hearing back for two weeks, I got in touch with HR and promptly received an enthusiastic email, stating that I had done a great job and the editorial team wanted me to come in for an onsite interview.

Great!

The interview, on a whole, seemed to go well. I learned more about the role and the company. I was told how much everyone loved working at Popsugar and how the company looked after its employees. I even seemed to hit it off with the editor who would have been my direct line manager, which is always a plus. And though I was told, point blank, I was overqualified for the role, I assured them that I didn’t mind. After all, this is Popsugar, and it would be a great opportunity (not to mention I was a long time, avid reader of the site).

During the interview I was informed it would be a few weeks before they got in touch, but that they would definitely be in touch regardless.

So I waited. And waited. And waited some more. After two weeks, I figured I’d give HR a shout, just to see where they were in the recruitment process.

Nothing.

That was a Monday. On the following Friday, I once again followed up. Perhaps it was a busy week and, let’s be honest, sometimes emails fall through the cracks. It’s happened to all of us.

And yet, nothing.

Two weeks later, I decided to get in touch with one of the editors who had interviewed me during my onsite. At this point, it was four weeks on and I just wanted confirmation I hadn’t received the role (let’s be honest - if they’re not getting back to you after four weeks, it’s not looking good). Call it closure.

Still nothing.

In my last ditch attempt, I rang HR. The call went to voicemail and I left a message, asking for someone to please get in touch.

If you guessed that I didn’t hear back, you would be correct.

It’s now a month and a half post-interview and I can only assume the office has been sucked into some kind of email- and phone-less time-warp that makes it impossible to communicate with people in the outside world.

Jokes aside, I have to say how utterly disappointing this entire experience has been, both as a candidate and as a reader. I can take not landing a role. It’s part of the job search process and you’re not always a good fit for a company. What’s frustrating is the blatant lack of professionalism. The irony is also not lost on me that the same company that literally has an entire section dedicated to career advice, can’t be bothered to let candidates know whether they’ve landed a job with them. I wonder how much effort it would have been to send a few lines, explaining I hadn’t been successful?

To management: review your hiring process. How your company interacts with, and treats, potential employees reflects on your brand as a whole. Scrolling back through other Glassdoor reviews, this isn’t the first time HR has failed in its communication with candidates. And rather than send someone from HR to write a short ‘we’re so sorry, we’re working on reviewing our hiring process….’ under this review, which has A. been sent before and B. clearly hasn’t been actioned, actually do something to ensure your current employees aren't wasting the time of prospective employees.

Interview Questions

• Questions revolved around trending stories (and tracking trends); what I enjoyed writing about the most.   Answer Question

POPSUGAR Response

Apr 11, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback, and we are sorry to hear that your overall experience was not good. We have share this feedback with our Editorial recruiting team to improve our interview process... More

Assistant Editor Interview

Interview

Terrible HR Department. I've also conveniently left two reviews here, and both were deleted months later. All around, I would highly recommend anyone not apply here if this is how they treat prospective employees.