PatientsLikeMe Interview Questions | Glassdoor

PatientsLikeMe Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2018

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at PatientsLikeMe.

Interview

Phone screening followed by 4-5 hour interview on-site. On-site they asked me to present a project I worked on, solve a white boarding problem, and then do a pairing problem. I also met with the product team and someone from HR. Lunch was served, and they were accommodating with snacks and coffee. Most interview phases had 4-5 people in the room.

Phone screen was easy. A few easy tech questions about how to optimize queries, explaining the web stack, and some basic high-level design.

Nothing in the on-site was particularly difficult. I didn't really care for the format. Having so many people in the room was an okay approach to get a vibe for the culture, but I found it a bit draining.

The project presentation was pretty much what you'd expect. I presented a feature I'd worked on and we had Q & A. I found it odd that I got negative feedback that I didn't go into enough detail even though the interview team didn't have any questions.

White boarding consisted of listening to a feature request, drawing mock ups for it, doing some data modeling, and then writing some SQL for querying that data. There were a lot of leading questions to try and get me to the SQL step which I found clunky and confusing. I hadn't brushed up on my SQL and wasn't able to whiteboard the queries, but they were fairly basic and straightforward.

The pairing problem was also very easy although it was really more of a live coding problem than a pairing problem. Standard Rails refactoring, migrations, and optimizations. The problem was easy, but I didn't feel like I was given the chance to step back from my code and re-evaluate it. The answers were just given to me. It felt very carrot-on-a-stick.

Overall the questions were easy and everyone was nice.

Interview Questions

• Here's an existing feature, and here's a feature we'd like to build on top of it. Draw mockups, create a data model, and write the SQL for querying that data   Answer Question

Senior Accounts Payable Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PatientsLikeMe (Boston, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied through their website after seeing the position posted on a job board. I received an email from HR asking what my availability was for a telephone interview a couple of weeks later. The HR rep was friendly and represented the company well, the person I spoke to on the telephone however was absolutely horrible. She was outright rude and hostile. She called me about 15 minutes after the allotted start time, yawned in my ear and had the audacity to say to me that I tend to switch jobs every five years, when she herself hadn't been with the company for that amount of time. Even with her rudeness and hostility I tried to put my best foot forward. After the horrible interview I sent a thank you email and never heard anything back from them. The mission of this company is awesome, unfortunately they have some horrible people who work there. Glad I dodged that bullet.

Prefer Not to Say Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PatientsLikeMe (Cambridge, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Following a phone screen, I was invited online for an onsite interview. It was a little confusing, because I didn't have a schedule of who I would be meeting with. I then met with the hiring manager plus 4 others. It was very conversational, natural, and the interviewers put me at ease. I found everyone to be very candid, laid-back and that definitely speaks true of the culture once I arrived. Overall positive experience. My only advice to others would be to try to get the interview schedule in advance to help prepare.

Interview Questions

• Questions were fairly standard to get skills/experience details.   Answer Question

Office Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PatientsLikeMe.

Interview

The interview process was fairly standard, started out with a phone screening then I was asked to come in and meet with a few people. When I got to the interview I was told I would be meeting with five people individually. The entire interview took almost three hours. Everyone I met with was very nice. I did find it odd the way one of the interviewers spoke about their colleagues. It was not very professional and should probably have not been discussed during an interview.

The most confusing part of the process was when I received an email saying that (and this is a direct quote) "Unfortunately, as [I] slightly expected, this position has morphed once again we are now focusing more on facilities." I would not mind this response except I feel as though it is not 100% truthful. I say this because the original posting I responded to was posted 15 days ago and they posted the position again about a half hour after my interview with them. Both postings are identical.

Interview Questions

• They did most of the talking and asked very standard questions.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at PatientsLikeMe (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Very confusing. Mulitple interviewers - some on the phone and some in person. What was the rudest was the fact that after I came in, NO ONE bothered to follow up with me about the job. It is disrespectful to people's time to act like that. But an interview goes both ways, so I was glad to see exactly what kind of place it was to work at.

Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PatientsLikeMe (Cambridge, MA) in October 2017.

Interview

Pretty pleasant interview. Started with a phone call with the recruiter, then a phone call with the hiring manager and onsite with potential peers and higher management. The interview was pretty informal and the feedbacks I received were fair, I really enjoyed the experience and really wished I was offered to work there.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at PatientsLikeMe (Cambridge, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

This place has a policy where everyone working there can veto to not hire you. That means you have people hiring you based on whether they like you, how pretty you are, etc. Skills fall pretty low on that list. Most of all if they see you as a threat they will come up with another reason not to hire you. They had 4 questions and gave me 40 minutes to solve them. Out of all the people they ever interviewed they said I was the only person to solve all 4 of them in the time allotted. They said they didn't want to hire me because I didn't work in a team. Nowhere was that made apparent that "working in a team" is what I was being judged on. I only asked the other two people in the room things I did not know. - method names, and things like that. To me it seems they sat there silently so they could say I didn't "work in a team" when it was over. They just put a laptop in front of me and said solve these questions. If I had been a little more incompetent and needed more help they might of hired me because I worked "in a team".

They told me another time they had a guy who could implement the levenshtein distance algorithm from memory and it was faster than the one in the standard string libs. They didn't hire him because "he was lazy". Same thing - they didn't want to hire someone who was a threat. I'm sure working there is nice if you can get past their bs popularity contest.

By the way what the hell is up with them making me go up there during rush hour to have drinks with their manager before the actual interview. Stupid, stupid, company. What a waste of time.

Interview Questions

• jQuery form validation, demo something you made, MySQL queries   1 Answer

PatientsLikeMe Response

Aug 19, 2015 – Director of Human Resources and Talent Acquisition

We are flattered that the candidate in question thinks that we were all hired based on our looks. In all seriousness, we have a hiring process that incorporates as much input as is practical from our... More

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PatientsLikeMe (Morgantown, WV) in April 2018.

Interview

They found my resume online and contacted me with a text message. Within minutes of answering that text message, I had an interview in Google Hangouts. At the end of the interview, I was told I was being hired, but despite several attempts to contact both the original person and the interviewer, I haven't heard anything at all.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you where [sic] given 10 tasks but only have time for 8, how well do you work under pressure and do you work well within a team?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PatientsLikeMe (Boston, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

Screen with a recruiter and then the hiring manager. On site with Head of Product, hiring manager, designer and engineers. Questions were typical behavioral. One was a hypothetical that walked through your ability to prioritize features. I reached out to them several times but they ghosted me and didn't even tell me I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• What happens when you type a URL into your browser?   1 Answer

Research Assistant, Computational Biology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at PatientsLikeMe (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

As a previous reviewer already state, this company hires based on whether they like you, how pretty you are, etc. and I can attest to that. It was funny to see how interviewers walked into the room and were shocked to see a black person.

It's is very true that skills fall pretty low on that list and this came up very much during my interview process. Many at times the interview shifted out of scope to areas that were not even implied in the job description.

The interviewers were not interested in giving me the job or not at all prepared. The interview it self was a waste of time. It's so funny that even one year down the line, they haven't officially sent me a rejection or offer letter. Very unprofessional.

SAD!

Interview Questions

• Can you describe the SNV calling pipeline using the GATK best practices?   1 Answer