Penguin Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 4, 2018

3.1

Contracts Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Contacted almost immediately after submitting resume. Interviewed a week later. Did not get a response about the job status until 3 months later. HR was very formal and it was almost impossible to have a conversation. Felt like an interrogation as the interviewer wrote down my answers and took notes. Interviewed with the person who would also be the position supervisor, was very condescending and dismissive of all my answers. Seems like a stuffy place and have heard negative reviews from those who work there. Didn't help that they didn't contact or get back to me after sending a thank you note the day after. Three months later got a call that the position had been filled. Was no longer interested in working there after having gone through the process which was upsetting having dreamed of working there since I was young.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed with a hiring manager for a screening call and then with a Publicist at an imprint. The interview was pretty long and I was asked many of the standard interview questions as well as general questions related to my interests in books and knowledge of media/marketing. It was a phone interview.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Penguin Group.

Interview

In the publishing industry, internship recruitment generally happens pretty late in the year. I applied in January and followed up with the recruiter several times. Once I finally heard back from her (around March), the process moved relatively quickly. There was a quick phone screen with the recruiter, and a few weeks later I was contacted about a specific opening. I had a longer phone interview with the same recruiter and the woman who became my supervisor for the summer. It lasted about an hour, and was very friendly and pretty low pressure. About two hours later, I received a call and got the offer!

Interview Questions

• Nothing too challenging, just things like walk me through your resume, why are you interested in publishing and the company.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was typical. Nothing extremely stressful. The HR rep was completely stone faced and that is a bit intimidating but otherwise the questions were standard. Glassdoor would like me to add more text, however I have completed my thoughts on the interview. So please enjoy this filler text courtesy of our dearest Winston Churchhill ""Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm."

Subsidiary Rights Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Group.

Interview

I applied online. I received a phone call a few days later to set up an interview. First I met with the HR person who asked me behavioral questions ("Tell me about a time when..."). I then met with the two people I'd be working with, which was more laid back.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to prioritize multiple tasks and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

Very thorough interview covering experience and contacts. Relaxed atmosphere. Professional follow-up detailing how long the interview process would take and they responded when the desicion was made.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

Hard to get through to HR, but once they read your resume they'll respond. Phone interview and in-person interview... first HR was very formal/standard, and then in-person with the managers was much more relaxed.

Interview Questions

• The original HR interview was very standard, what are your weaknesses, your strengths in the office?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is important in a work relationship?   Answer Question

Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

There was one phone call, followed relatively soon by an HR interview.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time a former supervisor gave you criticism.   1 Answer

Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

The environment and dress was business causal. The building was imposing--be there early! You will need to present ID at the front desk of the building, and get a pass to go through the security gates. Then you may need to fill out additional paperwork once you're waiting in the lobby.

Publicity Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY) in July 2008.

Interview

Emailed the publicity manager directly (the online application is a bit of a black hole) and had a personal contact who put in a good word for me. Received a call from HR and had an interview a few days later--interviewed with HR, then the publicity manager, and was assigned a writing test (crafting a pitch letter). After submitting the pitch letter, I received an email to meet with the department head. Met with the department head that week and then was called by HR with the offer two days later.

Interview Questions

• Questions were pretty standard, tailored to the job qualifications.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They don't negotiate much on salary. Expect to start as an assistant at around $32,000.