Penguin Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 8, 2018

3.1

Contracts Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Contacted almost immediately after submitting resume. Interviewed a week later. Did not get a response about the job status until 3 months later. HR was very formal and it was almost impossible to have a conversation. Felt like an interrogation as the interviewer wrote down my answers and took notes. Interviewed with the person who would also be the position supervisor, was very condescending and dismissive of all my answers. Seems like a stuffy place and have heard negative reviews from those who work there. Didn't help that they didn't contact or get back to me after sending a thank you note the day after. Three months later got a call that the position had been filled. Was no longer interested in working there after having gone through the process which was upsetting having dreamed of working there since I was young.

Assistant Editor Interview

Interview

Pretty standard--I met with the editorial director and senior editor for an hour or so, took a copy-editing/proofreading test, gave references, and that was about it.

Interview Questions

• Nine really...it was a very pleasant conversation about what the job entailed and why I was interested in the particular genre.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed with a hiring manager for a screening call and then with a Publicist at an imprint. The interview was pretty long and I was asked many of the standard interview questions as well as general questions related to my interests in books and knowledge of media/marketing. It was a phone interview.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Group.

Interview

Started with an online application. The whole process was smooth. HR was very informative and nice but they do not use e-mail to contact applicants. Only called by phone but voicemails was really helpful incase anyone cannot answer phones during class. Very causal phone interview and then a one on one interview on site with HR and then the head of the potential department you would be working for if offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in publishing? They are looking for passionate people about this industry so have a good answer.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Penguin Group.

Interview

In the publishing industry, internship recruitment generally happens pretty late in the year. I applied in January and followed up with the recruiter several times. Once I finally heard back from her (around March), the process moved relatively quickly. There was a quick phone screen with the recruiter, and a few weeks later I was contacted about a specific opening. I had a longer phone interview with the same recruiter and the woman who became my supervisor for the summer. It lasted about an hour, and was very friendly and pretty low pressure. About two hours later, I received a call and got the offer!

Interview Questions

• Nothing too challenging, just things like walk me through your resume, why are you interested in publishing and the company.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Interview

One interview with HR, two back-to-back interview with managers

Interview Questions

• Tell three stories about a time you overcame an obstacle at work.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary was not up for negotiation. I had to agree to the terms before even accepting the interview.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was typical. Nothing extremely stressful. The HR rep was completely stone faced and that is a bit intimidating but otherwise the questions were standard. Glassdoor would like me to add more text, however I have completed my thoughts on the interview. So please enjoy this filler text courtesy of our dearest Winston Churchhill ""Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm."

Associate Editor Interview

Interview

Don't be late. It was pouring and I had trouble catching a cab. The HR person made me wait an extra 20 minutes, making me even later for the hiring manager and was not understanding (it was sheets of rain from the sky!), giving me sour looks the entire time.

Interview Questions

• After very little talk about the department, I was asked about strategy.   Answer Question

Associate Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Great communication, well-planned. HR was very thorough and kept me on my toes by asking for direct tie-ins on the spot

Interview Questions

• Maybe just difficult for me, but "describe a time you didn't work well with someone" didn't seem to do much. She wouldn't look at me during my answer, either. But what can you do.   Answer Question

Subsidiary Rights Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Group.

Interview

I applied online. I received a phone call a few days later to set up an interview. First I met with the HR person who asked me behavioral questions ("Tell me about a time when..."). I then met with the two people I'd be working with, which was more laid back.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to prioritize multiple tasks and how you handled it.   Answer Question