Penguin Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 15, 2017

3.1

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed with a hiring manager for a screening call and then with a Publicist at an imprint. The interview was pretty long and I was asked many of the standard interview questions as well as general questions related to my interests in books and knowledge of media/marketing. It was a phone interview.

Coordinator Interview

Interview

I was contacted within the week of applying for an in- person interview. I had two separate interviews: one with HR and then one with two people from the department I would work in. Both interviews were pretty informal and I thought they went well considering we were laughing and talking casually towards the end. I left the office with a really good feeling and was told I would hear back within 2 weeks. 2 weeks had passed and I was eager to know so I sent follow up emails. I was very disappointed to receive an automated email telling me I didn't get the position after such a personal interaction. I definitely felt led on and was frustrated to not get any feedback after feeling so confident about the interviews.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you messed up and how you found a solution.   Answer Question

Art Department Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I got a phone call from HR which turned into a short, impromptu interview. Then I went in for a scheduled interview where I met with the HR employee, the woman who I would be working under, and the woman currently in the position. Everyone was very nice and welcoming.

Interview Questions

• How do you stay organized? What do you look for in a supervisor?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

A phone interview then they emailed me a packet to copy edit with some other additional work for a total of about 6 hours worth of work. They said I had to send the packet back within 24 hours, which I did. They never emailed me back and I know the work was done correctly. I followed up with an email about a week later and they never responded.

Interview Questions

• What was my past work experience. What did I do in my internship. Why did I want to work in publishing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I interviewed with the VP from Celebra and he was very nice and personable, was much more interested in getting to know his interviewees than asking rote questions. Even offered me some long-term career advice. I imagine he would make a great boss.

Children's/Young Reader Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Although nerve-wracking, we developed a very positive repartee about goals and expectations if I got the position. I got to meet several members of the department and see the offices. I finished the interview with the department director and enjoyed my enthusiasm for the possibilities of going to New York Comic Con.

Interview Questions

• What are my future goals and expectations for this position   Answer Question

Director of Digital Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Got a call from HR about a month after I applied. Met with the SVP and gave her a whole strategy for the different departments. She even handed me their proprietary marketing materials to take home. Got called back the next week to meet with the team, 6 people total. Then crickets with HR telling me they haven't made a decision, 3weeks goes bye. Finally was told the "team" chose someone else even though the SVP really liked me.

PS in all the hours of interviews they never asked if I wanted water or a drink.

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Very straightforward. All questions could be found on your typical Forbes.com article. A bit of advice: really think about the specific job responsibilities of the job and cater your answers towards those. Though loving books is necessary, that's not enough reason to get a job here. There are plenty of people who like music; they don't all need to be producers.

Interview Questions

• Strengths / weaknesses. It was somewhat unoriginal.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied through HR, initially without referrals. HR responded within two weeks. I had an initial interview with a recruiter and my immediate supervisors the first time, and then about two-three weeks later (I think this was an unusually long gap) had my second and final interview with various other people in the imprint and a followup with my supervisors. I was notified within a week.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Penguin Group (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was typical. Nothing extremely stressful. The HR rep was completely stone faced and that is a bit intimidating but otherwise the questions were standard. Glassdoor would like me to add more text, however I have completed my thoughts on the interview. So please enjoy this filler text courtesy of our dearest Winston Churchhill ""Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm."