Phillips Auctioneers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 27, 2017

2.5

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Phillips Auctioneers (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very smooth. I met with the manager and she was very polite and friendly. We went over the basics and she asked me a few questions, all of which are pretty common - nothing too tricky or out of the ordinary.

Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Phillips Auctioneers (New York, NY).

Interview

Met by two incredibly cold and rather scruffy department administrators, they warmed up vaguely in the interview process but really weren't giving anything away. Seems a strong Art Historical background and voluntary internships weren't enough. Make sure daddy funds a masters degree at Sotheby's Institute/Sorbonne before applying as I'm pretty sure these interviewers had never had a 'normal' job in their life. I've seen this stuffiness at Christie's and Bonhams and was slightly disappointed to witness it at Phillips. Still waiting on a response...

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Phillips Auctioneers (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I submitted my paperwork after seeing the job on NYFA. I was contacted a few days later asking to come in for an interview. I was then interviewed by two people and a woman in HR. It took approximately a week to get a response back. Overall, the experience was very positive and everyone was nice. They had a nice benefits package and stated how they value their employees/hard work.

Interview Questions

• nothing unusual. The HR woman made sure i was paying attention by asking randomly in our conversation who I had interviewed with and from what department. Overall the experience was nice and the people were extremely friendly and welcoming.   Answer Question

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Phillips Auctioneers (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

The process was incredibly disorganized. I interviewed with HR in Manhattan office in May 2015 - both ladies were unfamiliar with the business and seemed like they were playing HR on bad reality television. They were clueless about job responsibilities and one seemed to struggle with speaking English properly. The offices were small and crowded. As the front line face to potential employees HR needs to be responsive "hip" and "young" which it wasn't. When I interviewed with the department head, I saw that the office conditions were poor and some people walked around looking unhappy and scared, while others looked right through you or over your head.

General Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Phillips Auctioneers (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was very informative. They were very clear about what the company's goals are and what the position entails. They asked a lot of questions in regard to my current position to get a feel of whether or not I'd be a good fit for this open position within their company.

Interview Questions

• What is your strength in terms of your favorite thing to do at your current job and why?   Answer Question

Client Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Phillips Auctioneers (New York, NY).

Interview

Overall positive interview process and very run-of-the-mill. I met with the head of Client Services and Global Head of Management. Generally standard interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation interacting with a client.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation; hourly rate was set.

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Phillips Auctioneers in May 2013.

Interview

Largely straightforward, primarily questions about professional background, subject matter expertise, and knowledge of Contemporary art and design. Interview preceded by a phone screening, conducted solely by Human Resources personnel. After initial phone screening, an invitation was extended to visit NYC headquarters for in-person interview, which included both department and executive-level staff.

Interview Questions

• What has been your experience developing new client relationships?   Answer Question

Viewing Assistant for Upcoming Jewelry Auction Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Phillips Auctioneers (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

Posting for Job Opening was on the GIA Job Board Site, for alumni only, a Special Professional Website.

Emails to apply were sent with my Cover Letter and CV. A call back was received for an in person interview.

The first interviewer was an assistant, and this interviewer had no training, no GIA certification and no formal certificates in jewelry, and no experinec eor knowledge of other past similar auctions, obviously her job was a gift. The department manager was a GIA Graduate Gemologist but had poor knowledge of the types of things being auctioned and no facts on recent similar auctions, could not ask good questions or hold up the conversation, showing a lack of interest in her work.

Its a clearing house, not a museum, so knowledge is not particulary sought.

It was clear they were hoping for someone younger to stand around the glallery.. They mentioned four times that the job required being on one's feet during most of the shift. They mentioned this in a way that implied youth was required. She was too short sighted to realize that many middle aged people are in excellent physical condition, as am I. As are mnay athletes and others who take care of their health They asked no questions about my3
     knowledge of jewelry, gems, precious metals or selling techniques, and nothing about client work, or pertinent information about the auction. It was a simple minded and unfocused process, and the only criteria was a young age and standing up at length in the viewing areas. Thye showed a casual passing knowledge of their auction inventory as they could not answer my questions at all. Thye were intimidated by my credentials which exceeded thiers.

This is not a good place to apply for a job if you are smart and over 35, as you will be insulted, the interviewer making the assumption that only the very young are capable. I am obviously strong, medium in size, height and weight proportional, and look and am very healthy. Even if you are like me, well educated with a degree in art history and fine art, extensive experience in auction work, private selling and buying for clients, attractive, well dressed, smartly styled, articulate, polished and professional in every way possible, you will lose at this ridiculous game of ageism. I have all these positive qualities, but it was not good enough for Phillips and the dilettantes on their jewelry staff of uninitiated people who must have been hired as a favor to someone.

It was very disappointing as I am an art, jewelry and auction specialist with many great clients who buy often, and would have been an exceptional asset to the company, and could have represented them strongly in Palm Beach during the winter. But I was shoved off as I was not the 28 year old intern they were looking for. Experience and education means nothing here. You must have a friend in the company to get a job or be young and uneducated so as to not compete with the existing staff for their jobs.

My advice, make your resume look very unexciting, and do not show any signs of intelligence or knowledge or you will not be cosidered in a place like Phllips de Pury., and also be very young....VERY young, no experience or knolege is needed here.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. Interviewers were not knowledgeable about their auction inventory, and were rather disorganized. They were incapable of asking an intelligent or difficult question. The hardest question was, will you have any diffiuclty standing on the viewing floor during your shift?   1 Answer

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Phillips Auctioneers (New York, NY) in January 2008.

Interview

I came for 1on1 interview for 30 min max and landed a job

Regional Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Phillips Auctioneers.

Interview

HR professional person was pleasant to meet, sent me formal invitation letter.
    When I arrived at interview venue, I had to wait for 35min since no meeting room was booked, then the initial interviewee was not available. So another specialist person joined who was quite ill mannered during interview process.

This person couldn't speak full sentence such as "Why are you interested in art?" instead, this person merely asked "Why art?" which was unprofessional. Also this person was constantly looking at mobile screen when I was engaging with HR professional. I never encountered this kind of rude person at any interview and I decided not to take an offer if that's happening at the end of interview as I will need to work with this person who has non-artistic mind towards another human being clearly.

Overall, I prepared a lot for this interview since the invitation came in (whole week) and built a quite good knowledge about their business, competitors, market trends etc however they were rushed the process and I didn't have an opportunity to present it after waiting at lobby for that long.

It seems like they really don't care about investing in people, that's the clear impression I felt about this interview event.