Pioneer Natural Resources Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pioneer Natural Resources Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2017

2.5

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pioneer Natural Resources.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by an in-person interview at their Irving HQ. First interview is behavioral, no hard questions, next interview was only a few behavioral questions and mainly just to "get to know you." Be yourself and know your resume and you'll be fine.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Odessa, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pioneer Natural Resources (Odessa, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

The people that I interviewed with were nice and friendly. Were not too serious but serious when needed to be. I would say come prepared for behavioral questions and at least a button up shirt with a tie. The recruiters came to the job fair and looked over my resume. A week later I got a call to come for a morning interview and that was when I got a one on one with the two recruiters who were also engineers. After the interview got invited to an informal dinner interview with two other candidates, and offered the internship three days later.

Pumping Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pioneer Natural Resources in June 2016.

Interview

I got a call two weeks after submitting my online application. I traveled to Midland, TX to attend the interview. The interview lasted about an hour and was an overall good experience.

I&E Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, TX

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Pioneer Natural Resources (Midland, TX).

Interview

They did a hands on assessment that was kind of hard and unexpected you had to be on your toes. Some basic things some not so basic. The area supervisor was administering the assessment but they where friendly pay and benefits where spot on wit industry.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you used a unique way to help a company save money   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had a disagreement with a fellow co worker   Answer Question

Geoscientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Pioneer Natural Resources (Dallas, TX).

Interview

They hold interviews for student internship positions every year at my university, and every year they send the same two interviewers, both of which are geophysicists. This is a bit strange to me, because graduate students who were not hired the year before and who are hoping to try again have to interview with the SAME two people. Thus, decreasing any fresh perspective from the company. The most recent time they came to our school, they had their HR person with them who just listened during the interview.

Regardless, their interviews are pretty standard. They go through your resume and ask about the various experiences you have listed. They do not ask much about leadership or teamwork experience. In fact, they do not ask much at all, so it is up to you to take control of the interview and communicate your strengths. At times it is difficult to get a word in because one of the interviewers talks a lot. They highly value research theses, and they will not consider you at all if you do not have one or are not in the process of completing one.

Aside from the interview, it is clear that they are a "bro" company, or a good ol' boy company. Everyone is white and male, for the exception of their key brown people. Probably 1 brown person per 35 white people, if that. Not many women, but there are some, and they are white as well. However, the HR person who they brought with them to the interview was a hispanic woman. I think they are trying to make it seem like they want diversity, but this is simply not true. Half of the students who interviewed with them were Latino, Indian, Asian, etc.; as expected, they consistently hired white people and have done so for the passed four years. Visit their company and you will see what I mean. They seem to care more about how you fit in rather than what you are capable of. While it is important to uphold a good office dynamic, they put way too much emphasis on it. My advice to anyone who does land an internship (most likely a white male), try to get to know as many people at the company as possible and develop good relationships with them. How well you fit in as well as who knows you will be the deciding factor for them when they want to hire permanently.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?
      What are your hobbies outside of school and research?
      Why do you want an internship at Pioneer?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pioneer Natural Resources (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with an HR employee and two engineers. They went over my resume and asked me questions based on the experiences I had at previous internships and jobs. All three interviewers were friendly and prepared for the interview. The interview lasted around 30 minutes. They said they would get back to me within a week but took nearly a month.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Pioneer Natural Resources.

Interview

Very easy, we chatted about my experience and what the job would be. They asked me some questions on my strengths and weaknesses. Great overall experience, they hired me the next day with an offer letter and I started that next week.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midland, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Pioneer Natural Resources (Midland, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Interview started formal. Went over details in the resume, past work, education, project and organizational experiences. Then moved onto questions about my goals, about the company and also about team work environment. Interviewers were fairly laid back and open to questions about everything. You get an idea of the work environment and the company by meeting the interviewers, who are full-time employees at the company. A great experience.

IT Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Pioneer Natural Resources (Irving, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

in my 25 plus year career this was one of the oddest interviews EVER. cold, not warm and friendly at all whatsoever. i almost seemed as if they decided on not to hire when they looked at me or they already decided on another candidate and were just going through the motions. the team lead never asked any me any questions (very odd) all questions were asked by the manager. the reviews here are true in that they probably look for a personality fit first and foremost (whatever that may be). even though i'm out of work and would have probably accepted the opportunity if offered, it was not a place i think i would have been happy working. so when it's all said and done, them not extended an offer worked out for them and me.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Pioneer Natural Resources.

Interview

Phone & Personal. I had already worked at PNR as intern which helped a lot. Hence the interview process was a mere formality, since they have already seen my work. The Manger at that was very friendly and made sure I was comfortable during the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Why you want to work for this company & also about the Air Permitting Regulations   1 Answer