Pond5 Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Pond5 Interview Questions

Interviews at Pond5

2.4

Interview

Pond5 invested a lot of time to conduct a very thorough interview. There were a couple of office visits and some phone/video interviews over a period of one month. The role is central in a way that it has to interact with several teams - product, engineering and growth/marketplace being the key ones. So I talked to multiple people from each of those teams including their heads. The people team was responsive and professional throughout the process and I enjoyed talking to everyone very much!

Interview Questions

• There were questions about my skills and past experiences. Most of discussions were deep dives on ways to improve the search algorithm.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pond5.

Interview

It was really bad. The CTO of the company started bullying me from the moment he entered the room. First, he did not have or read my resume before the interview. After I told him that I used functional Python to write a production code for another company, he started assuring me that functional programming does not exist and that I confused it with procedural programing. I guess he either incompetent or were discriminating me based on my gender. Basically, he projected his incompetence (because I am a female) on me instead of questioning his knowledge. Then when I ask him whether I can work from home (their office is smaller than my bathroom and is full of sales people who are constantly on the phone), he said that he would not allow it while the product manager (who brought me for this interview) told me that it would be totally fine. If they ever want to succeed in data science, they need to get rid of their CTO. They guy is totally incompetent.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pond5 (New York, NY) in March 2019.

Interview

There was a 4 stage interview process which consisted of a phone screen, an in-person interview with 4 people (separately), another phone call with a new person, and a final in-person interview with 3 senior level executives (Also separately)

Interview Questions

• Most questions were about my previous employment and how it related to the position I was applying for. They also asked about motivation for joining Pond5.   Answer Question

Senior Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pond5 (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online, a few months later I had a phone interview with the VP of Sales. She's excellent and really sounds like a cool person. After that I was called in for an inperson interview. Met with the Chief Revenue Officer, a leader within the sales team, and had a call with the Chief People Officer. Overall, I think they are a really good company. Just because I didn't get the job doesn't mean they are bad. I know its because the CRO didn't like me from the start and he had just been there 5 days. I'm probably outing myself to the company with that comment. I can't tell if he was trying to flex his new power or he wasn't used to interviewing people but his body language said he didn't respect me or want to be speaking to me at all. He was slouching to the point where he was practically lying down. Problem is, I can't tell if it was about me or he recognized my families last name considering my dad was the investment banker that brokered all the major >$500 million media deals in the 90s. Most people hate him unless you're the Newhouse family or Rupert Murdoch. Regardless, I think that's where I lost them. John, Emily, and Karen all seem like incredible people and I actually hope to work with them in some capacity in the future. I think if the CRO was a VC hire then they made a mistake in it because he doesn't seem to fit into the culture they were building. I'd assume someone who gets that C-level position would be really excited and positive to build their team. He genuinely didn't want to be there and will probably say different to the Chief People Officer, but it should warrant enough concern for the culture that the VC's should understand what's going on internally. Mostly because he didn't have a response for when I asked about New Neutrality and how it would affect the business, and he said he didn't like music or film (a problem if you work for a music and film stock licensing company). After a week I received a kind rejection email. I think their enterprise business has potential to be great with the right people. The next 3 years should be pivotal for them. I truly wish the best of luck for them. I had as great an experience interviewing as I possibly could with a company that I didn't get an offer from.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever curated film stock footage for anyone before?   Answer Question

Creative Interview

Interview

I was contacted 3 months after I applied that they want to bring me in for a phone screen. During the phone screen, I was told I'd be a perfect fit for the position and they had me come in for a 2nd round interview with the sales manager and the CFO- both of which said I would be a great fit for creative sales, and they'd get back to me with a final decision by the end of the week. Things were certainly looking up and I was excited about the possibility.

5 days late and 2 follow up e-mails later, they finally got back to me saying that they want me to come in again and talk to the CEO. No big deal- that's a big step in the interview process. The CEO said again, that I'd be a perfect fit for Pond5 and that again, I'd hear from them by the end of the week.

2 weeks later and 2 follow ups later, they tell me that I need to come in AGAIN to interview with the head of customer service- someone that I wouldn't even be reporting to. DUring the interview, he mentioned that he didn't even know this was on his schedule and he had to jet after about 20 minutes. At the end of the interview, he said that as far as he knew, the offer should be coming in soon (pretty bad sign that he didn't even know where I was in the process).

I received an offer from another company shortly after, and let them know that while working at Pond5 is really what I want, my current offer would be expiring in one week. days later, they get back to me saying they need a couple more weeks to decide.

2 months later I got a generic rejection e-mail.

I do love where I work currently, so I definitely made the right decision. This interview process is absolutely atrocious- they will jerk you around, they have no clue what they are doing, and it really shows a lot about the company culture when they treat their prospects like this.

I've interviewed at a lot of companies, and this was by far the worst experience I've ever had.

Interview Questions

Pond5 Response

Nov 17, 2017 – Chief People Officer

I'm truly sorry that your time with us didn't match our intentions of providing a great candidate experience. We take your feedback seriously and are always looking to improve, so thank you for sharing!

Junior Sales Associate/Creative Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pond5 (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

They really need to figure themselves out. The process has been going on for over a month now. It's a low paying entry-level sales position for a startup. I'm sorry but no interview process should take this long. The CEO was very offputting too and basically said I'm concerned you could bolt because you are young and at the start of your career. If you are concerned I could bolt maybe treat your prospective employees right and pay them decently. If you have problems with my age then don't bring me through 3 interview rounds and waste a month of my time. If you want to attract young talent and grow you better figure out your interview process and organize yourselves before you get bought out and your "dedication to artists" motto is thrown out with your acquisition.

Interview Questions

• Why this sales role instead of others' with more training?   Answer Question

Nov 17, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Sounds like we didn't put our best foot forward here- we're sorry that your experience didn't match our intentions of providing a great candidate experience. We take your feedback seriously and are always looking to improve, so thank you for sharing!

Creative Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pond5 (New York, NY).

Interview

This was a brief phone screening for 20 minutes. I thought it was odd that the interview was conducted by the direct supervisor for this position, rather than an HR representative. This manager was clearly disinterested in the interview, and sounded like he did not like his job. He even belittled my personal qualifications at several points- which is an odd thing to do to someone that you have called in to interview. He was clearly given questions by HR that he did not believe in nor did he understand. My recommendation for Pond5 is that they have experienced HR Reps conduct interviews- this interview style is a huge turnoff for potential talent.

Interview Questions

• Do you love to win or do you hate to lose?   1 Answer

Nov 17, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Hi- sorry for the delay here- and truly sorry that you had a negative experience. Our aim is to ensure that hiring managers are directly involved in talking to candidates. Sounds like we didn't put our best foot forward here, so we'll work on that. We take your feedback seriously and are always looking to improve, so thank you for sharing!

Sales/Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pond5 (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

Ultimately took about 3 months. First was interviewed on the phone from someone from Poland, had a second interview with two people from various departments on a three way call from Texas, NYC and my location. Third, I went for an interview in person which got me really interested since it is a recognized company on its way up. Third had an interview with the CEO and after that whole process I did not hear anything from them for two weeks. Thinking I would be a pest I did not contact them until the third week and even then I got the run around and finally one person from HR answered me that I was not selected. I couldn't believe after they kept me there for about 2-3 months I didn't deserve the decency of an email at least to let me know I should move on. After so much fanfare I was confident this was a go so I didn't entertain continuing with the job search.

Interview Questions

• I think one of the questions was how would you deal with any situation that arises at work dealing with a misunderstanding or at least that is the way i interpreted.   Answer Question

May 22, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for sharing your feedback- I'm hopeful that in the past year and a half since you interviewed we have improved our process and our communications.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pond5 (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in November 2019.

Interview

The interview process is fairly standard. They have an initial phone interview, a face-to-face second round and a final call with HR.
    The phone interview went great. Justin was very experienced and knew what he was looking for asking easy to understand questions.
    The second round was a mess. There were 4 guys, some of them really nice asking good questions and relatively easy to understand what they were looking for. Others just arrogant, full of themselves and asking very weird and vague question making it harder to understand what answer they were looking for. Clearly something they need to look at.
    There was a clear reason why I didn't get the interview and it was my lack of experience in one particular area.

Interview Questions

• How does a browser understand requests? How does it know it's me?   1 Answer

Inside Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Pond5.

Interview

The recruitment process took about 4 month. Courteous phone interviews without real substance with sales executives from the HQ in NYC. After 2 month, I was finally invited to the Prague office. Only then was I informed that the job would be based on a contractor agreement. This interview was followed by an endless email exchange that became increasingly vague and crude and in which ever new requirements came up in a seemingly random manner. I was surprised when I was awarded the job by a phone call and even more surprised to get a refusal a week later.

Strange experience all the way.

Interview Questions

• Usual stuff - what's your motivation to work for Pond5?   Answer Question