Princeton University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 22, 2018

2.6

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

My interview process with the department that oversaw my job was wonderful. The employees who interviewed me were friendly, intelligent, welcoming, and committed to the institution; they also asked reasonable questions. My experience with HR thereafter, however, was not so pleasant. I spoke to one HR recruiter during the pre-screening and he gave me one salary range (presumably the pay band) for the position, but the HR employee who spoke to me after my on-campus interview - and after my references were contacted - gave me a much, much lower salary range. This HR employee also re-interviewed me and asked questions that I had already answered several times during my on-campus interview; she even got a key part of the job description incorrect. It was bizarre. I wish I had known this information before interviewing and that HR had communicated better about salaries and the length of the search process - I may not have gotten my hopes up about this job had they been more forthcoming.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Princeton?   1 Answer

Student Interview

Interview

It is really hard to get in and most do not. One in, however, all the doors are open for you and the sky is the limit. Best damn place of all.

PhD Student Interview

Interview

Skype call with a faculty member. Had a nice and easy conversation. Interview questions section only lasted for about 10 minutes then the professor starrts to introduce the campus and program.

Interview Questions

• They ask you to talk about your experience and research interest.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

Was asked a lot of soft questions with non-quantifiable answers to objectively compare competing candidates. The interview staff did not have the skill or understanding to evaluate my Web Development skills, so the focus was on interpersonal throughout most of the process. There was a technical exam, but once I was hired they admitted to not being able to actually evaluate the code I wrote (it was above the skill level of those involved and they were not going to invite others at the University into the process so they could).

Interview Questions

• How would you design a chicken?   1 Answer

PhD Candidate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

Interview

I interviewed for a PhD program that's on the more social and friendly side of the spectrum. The interview consisted of several days of being hosted by grad students, talking with professors, and social events.

Interview Questions

• Describe your previous research project in detail.   Answer Question
    • Here's a hypothetical set of observations you make when you're in the field. What is your hypothesis about what you see and how would you test that hypothesis?   Answer Question

Program Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ) in October 2017.

Interview

Extensive: Written questions, phone interview, full-day in-person interviews. All questions asked were relevant and helpful. And everyone I met with was really warm and friendly. The process took a little under two months from the initial phone interview to the full-day round of interviews.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Princeton University.

Interview

Phone Interview followed by a face to face interview with HR. Many other interviews to follow with people in the department. Interview process all together took a few months.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Princeton? What are you strengths?   1 Answer

ARCA Interview

Interview

After filling out the application online with 3 references and a statement of purpose, group interviews of about 10-15 applicants were conducted by current senior staff members of the college core. In addition to group interveiws, an interview with Director of Student life and Head of the College lasting approximately 30 mins is conducted. Afterwards, the DSL will get back to you within a few weeks, and all responses are released to all applicants at the same time.

Interview Questions

• What excites you about the role and where do you see yourself excelling? What worries you about the role, and where do you see yourself struggling?   Answer Question

Venue Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Princeton University (Princeton, NJ).

Interview

I applied online, naturally. Two weeks later I received an email to choose a time that would be suitable to do a thirty minute phone screening with an HR rep. Once I did that, I received an email later that afternoon to set up a second phone interview with my would-be Manager and the Deputy Director for the performance venues. A day or two after that second phone interview, both lasting around thirty minutes each, I received an invitation to come to campus to interview in person for more intensive discussions. I was told by the individual coordinating the whole affair that all travel and accommodations would be on my own dime, which was a red flag. I know budgets can be rigid, but if you cannot reimburse out-of-state candidates for gas and mileage, at the very least, you need to stick to local applicants or use Zoom video conferences for this process.

The actual interview was a day-long extravaganza, beginning at 8:30am. I had a brief discussion with the Venue Manager, which was pleasant. The first group of people I met with were absolutely wonderful, congenial, and seemed to enjoy what they did. This group was comprised of several Assistant Directors, and Managers. The next group was less attentive. This table was filled with employees from the production area of the department. One person barely looked up from their Mac book and only seemed awake when it was their turn to ask me a question. The third and final group was almost comical in terms of how it was structured, and included Managers and various Assistant/Associate Directors from IT, Building Services, and one Administrative Director who let me know how terribly that round of interviews had gone for me on their way out. This was something I found rather rude, and I kindly remarked that those questions presented all seemed repetitive, while thanking them for the feedback. But really? You do not need to be told that an interview did not go well. I was there, unlike the panel I was meeting with. Very generic interview questions that were all alarmingly similar. I got the impression that these people did not chat prior to sitting down with me that afternoon, or even worse, none of them were listening to what the other interviewers were asking. I am well aware that in lengthy interview processes, the questions can all start to sound similar, but this was ridiculous. Not to mention that the questions themselves are the results that pop up in a Google search of "interview questions." There was only interviewer who seemed to be cognizant of this and had a list of personalized questions more closely related to my experiences and the job in question.

Next came a brief sit down with the Director, who was quite amiable. Seemed excited to meet me at first, but I soon got the impression that this sunny disposition was not person specific, and not reserved for myself alone. This is not bad, as the world needs these kind of people. I can imagine this Director being wonderful for department morale.

Later I went to lunch with the Venue Manager and Deputy Director. Both continued to be very warm and welcoming, but I could not shake the sinking feeling that this job was not for me.

Lastly, I met with a Talent Acquisition Specialist. When it was my chance to ask questions, I was given no information. I naturally inquired about salary and when health benefits would begin if selected, and I received a blank stare. The salary range for this role was quite broad, and was discussed on the very first phone screening a month prior, but being invited to campus for a third round opens up the discussion for more specific questions and answers as they pertain to the candidate and the role in question. As kind as this person was, they were not prepared to say much besides how much they enjoyed Princeton and how long they had worked there. I had to email them later that day to remind them that I was still waiting and would very much appreciate an answer for my questions, as that info would ultimately be the gauge for my interest if an offer was to be extended.

I was thanked for my time, and was told I would hear back in the coming weeks. After a week of not being asked to provide the contact info for my references, I felt relieved.

All in all, it was not a bad experience. There were moments in the day that felt less enthusiastic or engaging than others, but still a nice interview process. It was that third panel of employees that seemed quite green. Come prepared and ask questions that relate to the candidate and the position itself. You were meeting with a potential full-time staff member, not a part-time work study. It did not reflect well on your departments, or the University at large.

The job I interviewed for probably changed someone's life, but would have been just another position for myself.

Interview Questions

• You already work at an Ivy League school. Why are you interested in Princeton?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Princeton University.

Interview

There was an email distributed to all students regarding the RA opportunity, I emailed the relevant professor and came to a short interview . The interview was casual with a professor I knew well