Puget Sound Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 10, 2017

2.6

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Puget Sound Energy (Bellevue, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted about 2 weeks later for an interview in person at their Bellevue headquarters. Interview was relatively easy and attire was casual with about 20 total behavioral questions and only one technical question. Another 2 weeks passed and I received an offer for the summer.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Puget Sound Energy (Seattle, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

There is a phone interview with the hiring manager, followed by an in person panel interview with three people who would have an interest in who was working the role.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your philosophy in correcting employee mistakes for those that report to you (or something like that).   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Puget Sound Energy (Bothell, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online, got a call 2 months later was asked to come in for testing, passed testing (typing test, personality test) was asked to interview, got a call next day and offered position.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever received feedback from a job, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Interview

Casual interview, went over resume and talked about experience. Very friendly. The interview was done by the supervisor and took less than 30 minutes. Typical questions like why do you want to work here, explain a work problem and how you resolved it, etc...I was contacted soon after and hired almost immediately.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be right for this position?   Answer Question

Network Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Puget Sound Energy (Redmond, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online and had an initial 30-40 minute phone screen. Later had an in person group interview with the hiring manager, his manager, and 3 team members. It sounded like normally there would have been some individual interviews. But since I was driving 4.5 hours it was one group interview, which was very considerate of them. The interviews were comfortable and the people easy to interact with.

Interview Questions

• How would you design our network?   1 Answer

I declined due to the overall salary and benefits. The initial offer came from the hiring manager and I was told one would come from HR after we "worked out the details". I countered the initial offer by 5k and was told there was no wiggle room in salary, though I was offered a signing bonus. The big factor on not accepting the offer was salary and how much Health Insurance costs would cut into the salary. For PPO coverage for a family it was going to be 11k annually out of my pocket, which is more than I'm paying now for a PPO, working at a smaller company than PSE.

Senior Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Puget Sound Energy (Bellevue, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

I filled out an online application with CV/Resume. I was contacted by HR about a week later for an on campus interview.Contact was all via email. I interviewed at corporate headquarters in Bellevue. Interviewed with a two managers. The interview was fairly straightforward. They asked 7 questions designed by HR. They basically have a sheet in front of them, and as you answer, they put check marks and comments next to the traits or qualities that align with the job posting.

The interview went over time by 1.5 hours. They said they would get back to me as soon as possible. I sent a thank you email two days later. After two weeks of waiting, I sent a follow up email to both managers I interviewed with. No response. After four weeks, I found out through an internal friend that the position had been filled, which I am completely fine with.

What I am not fine with is how unprofessional the post-interview experience was. I spent time preparing for the interview, and money going to the interview, and the professionals did not have the decency to give me a 30 second phone call to inform me I was not selected for the position. Or how about a 15 second response to my two emails I sent?

To leave a candidate hanging shows you don't understand nor value someone's time. Again, I'm not upset with not receiving an offer. I'm upset in the manner in which you inform candidates (or lack thereof). For a company the size of PSE, I would expect a more organized, process on behalf of HR that reflects the utmost courtesy and professionalism. Thank you for the worst interview experience I have ever been a part of.

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell us about a time you worked with a difficult individual or team.
      2) Tell us how your experience relates to this position.
      3) Strongest/weakest attributes
      1 Answer

Energy Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Puget Sound Energy in December 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted by the hiring manager the next week, set up a phone interview later that week. Initial phone interview was about 30 minutes with the hiring manager and another manager on the trade floor. Questions were fairly standard, why are you looking to leave your current position, what interests you about Puget, what's your experience trading power in the West, etc.

Shortly after the phone interview I got another email from the hiring manager looking to set up a WebEx interview. Had that interview about a week after the phone interview. First half was with two current traders, one another real time trader, the other a gas trader. Mostly questions directly relating to the position as well personality type questions. How do you prepare for a shift, How do you work in team, etc. The second half was with the same two managers the phone interview was with. This part was much more technical: What experience do you have with the NorthWest hydro system, What do you know about the BPA transmission tariffs, what's your experience with various software (OATI and PCI), What do you know about the PAC EIM, etc. Also asked questions about mistakes made in the past, what was learned, and directly asked how I stood apart and why they should hire me.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the BPA transmission tariffs   1 Answer

Declined mostly due to salary. Certainly in the market for a real time trader and the incentive pay was good but overall it was about the same if slightly below my current position but with a significantly higher cost of living. We were pretty far apart from the salary on my application and what they offered, I tried to counter in the middle but due to my limited experience they couldn't budge which I understood. Good experience overall though, would have accepted under different circumstances.

Consulting Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bothell, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Puget Sound Energy (Bothell, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

It was a 2-man interview panel, with an assessment/test after interview. The panel had a list of questions, mostly regarding situations in my previous job that would apply to the PSE position. They also asked about salary requirements. Lastly, they asked which locations were preferred as offices that I may potentially be based out of.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation you were faced with? How did you handle it and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses.?   Answer Question

Trade Floor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Puget Sound Energy (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

A phone screen. Basic behavioral questions, questions on the state of the commodity market-- energy specifically, and an emphasis on excel knowledge. There was no in person interview, but that was because I was based out of the region. For those in the area, there would likely be an in person interview. There was a panel of 2 managers on the phone screen, although both were very laid back.

Interview Questions

• What is your opinion on the current state of the energy market?   1 Answer

Associate Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Puget Sound Energy.

Interview

I used an employee referral as a way to connect with PSE. A hiring manager contacted me by phone and had me come in to meet with the team personally. A couple weeks later I met with the hiring manager for a 30 minute interview followed by a second interview with the subordinates. The subordinates explained their roles at PSE and asked some behaviorial questions based on my prior work experience. Overall the experience was postive and I learned a lot about PSE and the employees seemed like they enjoyed their experiences.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about PSE?   1 Answer