Purpose Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Purpose Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

2.9

Senior CopyWriter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Purpose.

Interview

Phone interview with contract recruiter and then on-site interview with two senior members of the creative staff. The phone interview was traditional and conservative, with standard walk me through your resume questions. The second in person interview was with two of their head creative people. My interview was boring and they seemed to contribute little to the discussion.

Interview Questions

• They didn't have many questions at all and mostly I led the interview. I think they asked if I cared about activism and what it was. They seemed distracted and thanked me for my time about 11 times. I asked about the bad reviews and they said they were valid, meaning they got rid of a lot of people who were intelligent and did their job effectively. My interview was informal and it seemed pro forma, like they wanted to see people pro forma, but already decided otherwise. Currently they use contract copy and were considering hiring someone on staff. I never had the opportunity to actually write for the exercise which was supposedly coming next.   Answer Question
    • Was I interested in activism and what I done so far.   Answer Question

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Purpose (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very relaxed, while being organized and enjoyable. I got there on time, I had to wait about 10-15 minutes to be seen, but was eventually brought into one of their nice meeting rooms, where I hooked up my laptop to their projector and showed my work. This was followed by discussion.

Interview Questions

• Mainly just asked to see my portfolio (they already knew about me because a friend who works there introduced me previously)   Answer Question

It was a great opportunity, but I ended up staying at the job I was already at.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Purpose (New York, NY).

Interview

A prior reviewer described this place as more style than substance, which is spot on. I went through five rounds of interviews and a lengthy written exercise. If they ask you to do a written exercise, I recommend including an intellectual property clause and telling them they can't use your work without your written consent. The final interview was with a director who had not bothered to look at the written exercise I had submitted two weeks before and asked very basic questions that suggested he didn't know the field as well as I did.

The friends who worked here said that Purpose gets a lot of contracts even though the quality of the work isn't very good, and they prefer to offer freelance contracts instead of full-time staff positions which contributes to high turnover.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Purpose (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted for a phone interview a week later, followed by an in-person interview at their office. The phone interview was enjoyable, structured but still friendly. The offices have an open vibe but it felt quiet. The person who interviewed me did not seem engaged and struggled to come up with questions other than tell me about your background. I don't know if they know what they are looking for in a hire. Their responses to my questions were also pretty bland. I feel like this place might be more style than substance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Purpose (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

They contacted me after 3 weeks of submitting the application. The process usually takes 3 interviews and an exercise. The interview was really interesting and I really enjoyed how it was conducted.

Social Movement Strategist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Purpose in June 2015.

Interview

I was applying for a job from out of state, but about to move to NYC. I was immediately contacted the afternoon I submitted my application (must have written something good), and a video interview was set up. The woman interviewing me was around a similar age and provided good information on the agency and role, but I could tell she wasn't a very experienced interviewer. I never received any contact after the interview, even a courtesy email despite multiple attempts at following up.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Purpose?
      What climate change organization's digital content or online presence has impressed you?
      Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Purpose (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I participated in 3-4 rounds of formal interviews plus another 3-4 informal chats with various people at Purpose, in addition to a written task. It was a long process which may frustrate some people, but it suited me, as I was also scoping out various opportunities and options in New York, and was in no rush to lock something in on a particular timeline. It was a very two-way interview process to determine what best suited both Purpose and myself, how I wanted to contribute best, where they thought they could make most use of my skills, culture fit and mutual hopes. This would not work well for someone who just wants a clear cut job description to fit themselves into -- it was good for me to have a more two-way dynamic interview process to mutually consider how to shape the role for me in a way that makes the most of what I could bring to the organization.

Strategist Interview

Interview

Initial phone screening followed by written exercise and follow-up interview

Interview Questions

• Interviewer repeated the same question several times, unable to effectively articulate point of the question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Purpose (New York, NY).

Interview

Absolutely terrible experience. Had seven interviews over the course of six months. Was told twice that positions had been filled internally, and then called a few weeks later for a similar job.

Interview Questions

• None - the questions all were interesting and topical.   Answer Question

They offered me a freelance position when I was looking for full time.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Purpose in April 2012.

Interview

The initial application consisted of three short essays aimed at both determining writing capability and passion for solving world problems in addition to a resume and cover letter submission. They got back to me within a few weeks and told me I made it to the interview rounds. I had an hour long Skype interview asking both fit questions and some informal case questions. At the end of the interview I was told I might need to have one more interview in the coming days and that a decision would be made in one week. However, I received an offer letter three hours later and gladly accepted the offer.

The interview was not overly formal and I felt very comfortable throughout the entire interview.

Interview Questions

• If you had unlimited resources how would you solve partisanship in political parties?   Answer Question