Rakuten Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Rakuten Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2017

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rakuten in February 2017.

Interview

Applied through college career fair, but they didn't contact me until 4 months after. One coding challenge and then followed by 3 Skype interview (30-60min) each. Very basic behavioral questions, and also questions regarding to the projects I have down.

Interview Questions

• Would you willing to learn Japanese?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rakuten (San Mateo, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

They had pre-record the answer for the question they provide and do it by certain date. They require to smile to the camera, have your own personality, look at the camera not down. With technical question, they require to use previous experience and projects as an example. And finally why do you want to join Rakuten. They remind you to give a good answer that shows you have prepared and deeply though about the reason to join.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest strength and how you leverage your strength for peak performance? Please give us an example.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten in November 2016.

Interview

You have one week to complete an online test and prerecorded set of interview questions. Afterwards you go through 2 rounds of skype interviews with the development team but they mainly ask questions regarding your experience and behavioral questions. The prerecorded interview is very simple and they even tell you the set of questions before hand. These questions mainly ask you why you want to work at Rakuten and what you want to accomplish by doing so. The online technical test is on Codlity and they give you 1 hour to solve 1 questions which is relatively easy. (The question they asked me required knowledge of the Caterpillar Method.)

Interview Questions

• Explain the Scrum process in Agile Development?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

- I applied through their website.
    - Received an email telling me to take two Codility tests and complete a questionaire.
    - The questionaire includes mandatory questions about your current salary and your expected wage.
    - Completed the tests and got an email from the HR telling me to send them a "presentation" about myself within two weeks.
    - There is no guideline on how you should do the presentation except that it should include things like your background, achievements and how you can contribute to Rakuten.
    - Sent them the "presentation" and got an email telling me to prepare for the first interview which I have to use the "presentation" I just sent to them to present myself.
    - Got call on Skype from the interviewer (15 minutes late btw).
    - Present myself.
    - Then the interviewer didn't seem interested in asking about anything I just presented. So he asked questions like where do you see yourself in 10 years or why do you want to work at Rakuten. Don't expect anything technical.
    - Q&A session, thank you for your time, and end the interview.
    - Got the (expected) rejection email the next morning (at least I'm impressed that this was fast).

Entry Level Back-end Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rakuten (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online. A month later I was asked to complete a code challenge on Codility and do an online interview. Not a live interview, just recording myself. The five interview questions are given ahead of time so it is easy to prepare for it. I had 1 hour for the Codility test and 5 minutes for each of the interview questions. Received an email a week later indicating no longer in consideration.

Interview Questions

• The Codility Test was about taking an integer and determine how many different arrangements of the number are possible. So if given, 132, arrangements are 132, 123, 231, 213, 312, 321. So the function should return 6.   1 Answer

Salesforce Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2016.

Interview

Recruiter from out of state contacted me and asked about Sales Force experience.
    After telling her my experience and previous applications with SFDC she lied and said my application and resume did not contain SalesForce. She told me to resubmit even though the application clearly states SFDC experience and list the times of availability. I gave her the times and she never contacted me. I followed up with her and she refuses to respond. Very unprofessional company.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rakuten.

Interview

I had my first round interview with the HR manager via live video. It included some general behavioral questions. The manager sounded very polite. But received an no-next step email without providing reasons.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rakuten.

Interview

The overall experience is ok. I applied this internship online. Then they sent me 2 links which are coding test via codility and video interview. Coding test is easy. The next round would be skype interview.

Interview Questions

• Interview Questions:
      the reason why you are applying for Rakuten internship.
      technical background and how to utilize your skill in the position you chose.
      What would you like to achieve during internship?
      1 Answer

Software Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rakuten in March 2016.

Interview

First a coding challenge and then a video interview, where you have to answer questions given beforehand. The coding challenge involved a fairly difficult problem and the questions for the video interview were generic stuff like why you want at rakuten etc.

Interview Questions

• A coding problem involving the sum of areas of two rectilinear rectangles.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Rakuten in March 2016.

Interview

Applied through college‘s career website and also applied on their website. Requires resume and still needs to fill quite some forms by hand. Need to fill in major. Sent me online test link(a very simple coding question) and also a online video link in one week and nothing from there. Checked 1 month later on their website that my application has been declined( and no email will sent to you)

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience and how you would contribute to the company   Answer Question