Rakuten Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Senior HR Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten (San Mateo, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

Quick, thorough, smooth, and engaging. Lead recruiter Lisa Martin conducted a great phone screen, which quickly led to an on-site interview coordinated by Shannon Panec. The interview went well - composed of professionals in the HR field which lasted 2 hours, including an on-site excel reporting and written assignment. Both Lisa and Shannon never skipped a beat and kept in touch during the process. Joined the company two weeks later and have been enjoying it since!

Interview Questions

• Describe a process that you have developed and how you managed the challenges and feedback received as you implemented these changes. How is it maintained?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Rakuten (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

First I had phone interview then asked to complete online assessment which was quite easy based on java. Finally I had Skype interview and got the offer. But the java part was tricky as there were lot of boundary conditions. Be careful

Interview Questions

• Strength and weakness and where do you want to see yourself after 5 years?   1 Answer
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Rakuten (Irvine, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Two interview processes that I need to take before consider for the next email. First, there is a test which you have to take through codility. Second, it will be an online recording video session where you have to introduced yourself and say why you are interested in the company.

Interview Questions

• First test was through Codility website where you have to solve a problem in 60 minutes and you can choose any choice of language you are familiar with.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten in February 2015.

Interview

After applying through a careers website, I was asked to complete a coding test and a prerecorded video interview. The coding test was pretty easy; I had an hour to solve a given problem and test it. It was unsupervised. The prerecorded video interview was really easy since they gave me the questions ahead of time - why are you interested in the company, what's your greatest strength, etc.
    Once I passed that step, they invited me to a Skype interview. I was told it was with engineers, so I assumed they would ask me to code or at least come up with a way to solve a problem, but they were more general knowledge questions - 'tell me about this thing on your resume', 'have you ever done unit testing?', etc. Also things like 'tell us about a book you've read recently on a technical topic', which I was not at all prepared for. Also, there were three interviewers crowded around one screen, one of whom had a face mask on and none of whom I could understand clearly. It was not great, and I knew by the end I hadn't passed.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a book you've read recently on a technical topic.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Process- online code assessment, then a 30-minute interview session with two people in the department.
    Interview- the interview was standard, basically questions about past projects and skills. As well as a few behavioral questions. What would you do if you disagreed with the leader? Why do you want to live in Japan?

Interview Questions

• What Frameworks are you familiar with?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten.

Interview

The first round is a Programming test and an Online interview. The programming test was an easy array problem on codility. It started with a small tutorial teaching you how to use the tool. Then you have 60 min to complete. It took me 20 minutes to finish (I finished in 5 min and took 15 to test my code..) The online interview asked three questions which were included in previous emails. Right now I am waiting for second round interview.

Interview Questions

• In the email, I was told that you have 2 min to answer each of the questions during the online interview. But in fact you have 5 min...   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Rakuten (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The process took months which was frustrating. There was an extended application process where you had to submit a video, as well as a fairly easy coding test. The weird part was the actual in-person interview: although they have you select from quite a large amount of teams and locations I only interviewed with one, and it was like a 5 on 1 interview that ended up being in Japanese because, to be frank, their English wasn't the greatest. It was a completely behavioral interview too, which I was surprised by since the online coding challenge was fairly simple.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest strength?   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rakuten.

Interview

The overall experience is ok. I applied this internship online. Then they sent me 2 links which are coding test via codility and video interview. Coding test is easy. The next round would be skype interview.

Interview Questions

• Interview Questions:
      the reason why you are applying for Rakuten internship.
      technical background and how to utilize your skill in the position you chose.
      What would you like to achieve during internship?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

First took an online coding test. Then got an email to come in for an onsite interview. Met with 4 different interviewers from 2 teams (big data and user) and got extensively asked about projects as well as quizzed on some concepts. Questions included basic inheritance understanding as well as some design and database questions. Also got told that there is free catered lunch and commuting is payed for.

Interview Questions

• Describe how java implements hash tables   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rakuten (Boston, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

Brief phone screen, coding exercise, full-team interview process with technical questions - we got to meet with the team and see all different personalities and what their role was. There were a lot of very different interview questions, all challenging and covering different bases of the full stack.

Interview Questions

• What happens when you type in http://www.google.com (assuming http connection)?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Initially filled out a questionnaire, then later was instructed to take a timed coding test on codility. The coding test was challenging but doable. Afterwards I was instructed to take a repeat of the same questionnaire that I before (when asked why I got no answer), then I got no further response from Rakuten for about 3 weeks.

Eventually I got a generic rejection e-mail, but no feedback on my final testing score or if they had an issue with getting my questionnaire responses. Overall very poor communication.

Interview Questions

• -Why do you want to work at Rakuten?

-Rectangle area related programing challenge.   1 Answer