Rakuten Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 23, 2017

2.7

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten (San Mateo, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

applied online, the process took three weeks, 1 phone call with recruiter, 1 over phone with hiring manager and in person with 5 people. they asked me some analytical question in the in person interview....

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rakuten.

Interview

The whole process took about 3 months, from application day to getting the letter. The codility questions were very basic, and for the video interview, they provided me with the questions beforehand on the description email, allowing me to prepare the optimal answers.

After that, I was given a chance to do a skype interview with 3 members of the company's headquarters in japan. I felt that the interview was more focused on figuring out if I would fit in to the company, rather than focusing on testing my skills required for the internship. There were very little technical questions throughout the whole interview.

Interview Questions

• What are your long term plans for your career, and how would this internship affect that?   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Rakuten (San Mateo, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

First, they will give you a call to briefly talk about yourself and your resume. If that goes well, you will be asked to do a HackerRank test online (for me it was timed for 1hr). There was both coding and multiple choice on this test. If that goes well, there will be an onsite interview with multiple team members. They ask you technical questions which is not necessarily too hard if you have been prepping.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between "==" and .equals in Java?   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten (San Mateo, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Before I describe the actual process, please note: My recruiter ended up getting hired for the very position they (adding ambiguity) had recruited me for. I had to find this out while browsing LinkedIn a month later. I don't know what to think besides... Waste of my time. I've heard of internal hiring, but not when the fields are drastically different. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Would have given a "Positive" experience otherwise.

Now for the interview process:
    Contacted by a Recruiter on LinkedIn on Tuesday, had a phone chat on Wednesday, and they sent me the standard deviation type HackerRank challenge mentioned many times on Glassdoor. Completed the HackerRank the following Tuesday and heard that I got to onsite round on Wednesday. Quick process.

I arrived for my onsite on the following Monday. The schedule was 2-3 hours and consisted of 3 behavioral/experience interviews and 1 technical interview. First interview was with an engineering manager, second interview was with a mobile engineering manager (I think), and the third interview was with two software engineers. The fourth was with a software engineer who asked me a whiteboard question. He was very helpful and attentive, guiding me in the right directions. Our interview had to be cut short because a group of Rakuten employees had reserved the same meeting room. I was a little confused as to why Rakuten had not organized this better, but it wasn't a big deal. I had enjoyed my time there and really liked my interviewers. It was a fun process.

My recruiter told me I would get a decision by the end of the week (4 days after onsite), but when the time came, there were "scheduling conflicts" so I was unable to get a result until the following Wednesday. They broke the news to me, and I was very disappointed but satisfied with my effort. Thankful for the opportunity that I felt I had just lost fairly.

Little did I know, they were one of the (or the only) candidate(s) that got hired.

Interview Questions

• Simple array combination question. Much easier than the interview questions I had prepped for, so I was a little caught off guard.   1 Answer

Front Desk Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rakuten (San Mateo, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

They looked over my resume and called me in. I wish there was more of an interview process or questions. I felt irritated as all of the time that I put into researching this company and finding ways that my background could work for this position was all for nothing.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rakuten in February 2017.

Interview

Applied through college career fair, but they didn't contact me until 4 months after. One coding challenge and then followed by 3 Skype interview (30-60min) each. Very basic behavioral questions, and also questions regarding to the projects I have down.

Interview Questions

• Would you willing to learn Japanese?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rakuten (San Mateo, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

They had pre-record the answer for the question they provide and do it by certain date. They require to smile to the camera, have your own personality, look at the camera not down. With technical question, they require to use previous experience and projects as an example. And finally why do you want to join Rakuten. They remind you to give a good answer that shows you have prepared and deeply though about the reason to join.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest strength and how you leverage your strength for peak performance? Please give us an example.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten in November 2016.

Interview

You have one week to complete an online test and prerecorded set of interview questions. Afterwards you go through 2 rounds of skype interviews with the development team but they mainly ask questions regarding your experience and behavioral questions. The prerecorded interview is very simple and they even tell you the set of questions before hand. These questions mainly ask you why you want to work at Rakuten and what you want to accomplish by doing so. The online technical test is on Codlity and they give you 1 hour to solve 1 questions which is relatively easy. (The question they asked me required knowledge of the Caterpillar Method.)

Interview Questions

• Explain the Scrum process in Agile Development?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rakuten (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

- I applied through their website.
    - Received an email telling me to take two Codility tests and complete a questionaire.
    - The questionaire includes mandatory questions about your current salary and your expected wage.
    - Completed the tests and got an email from the HR telling me to send them a "presentation" about myself within two weeks.
    - There is no guideline on how you should do the presentation except that it should include things like your background, achievements and how you can contribute to Rakuten.
    - Sent them the "presentation" and got an email telling me to prepare for the first interview which I have to use the "presentation" I just sent to them to present myself.
    - Got call on Skype from the interviewer (15 minutes late btw).
    - Present myself.
    - Then the interviewer didn't seem interested in asking about anything I just presented. So he asked questions like where do you see yourself in 10 years or why do you want to work at Rakuten. Don't expect anything technical.
    - Q&A session, thank you for your time, and end the interview.
    - Got the (expected) rejection email the next morning (at least I'm impressed that this was fast).

Entry Level Back-end Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rakuten (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online. A month later I was asked to complete a code challenge on Codility and do an online interview. Not a live interview, just recording myself. The five interview questions are given ahead of time so it is easy to prepare for it. I had 1 hour for the Codility test and 5 minutes for each of the interview questions. Received an email a week later indicating no longer in consideration.

Interview Questions

• The Codility Test was about taking an integer and determine how many different arrangements of the number are possible. So if given, 132, arrangements are 132, 123, 231, 213, 312, 321. So the function should return 6.   1 Answer