Relco Locomotives Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Relco Locomotives

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albia, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Relco Locomotives (Albia, IA) in November 2014.

Interview

10 minutes into my interview, the owner left my interview to attend another meeting!
    After my interview resumed, the owner downplayed my skills and experience saying I didn't actually accomplish what did in my career.
    The owner/manager completely lacked any professionalism in the battery of questions I was asked.
    I should have walked out when he left for his meeting.

Interview Questions

• Do you actually think I believe you designed a locomotive equipment rack by yourself?
      Am I supposed to believe your railroad experience will be a good match for our company?
      1 Answer

Mechanic Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albia, IA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Relco Locomotives (Albia, IA) in May 2014.

Interview

Two Interviews all in the same week. Very quick to receive job offer, everything about starting was well outlined. Able to discuss what my goals are and where I feel I could do well at.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lisle, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Relco Locomotives (Lisle, IL) in September 2012.

Interview

I applied online at Career builder and got a phone call the next day for a face to face interview. Drove to Lisle to interview with Doug Bachman who is at the very least eccentric if not much worse. He asked me what Project Management was and I told him based on my 12+ years of experience to which he responded "you don't understand project management or at least can not articulate it to me". I was a little annoyed but he proceeded to invite me to send him an email with my salary requirements and let him know if I wanted to proceed to the next interview. I thought this was odd but was interested enough in the opportunity to proceed. I emailed him with requirements of 85-90K and he countered with 80K(dg). I had never seen the letters dg after a salary number before and didn't know what it meant and fell into the age old trap of not wanting to ask a 'stupid' question so I didn't. Big mistake! Some time went by and they brought me back to Lisle for a second interview with their existing project managers. This group of people were much more down to earth and put me at ease about the job. No discussion was had about an offer or any details on benefits just the standard interview questions. I left that interview and waited about a week before I got an email from their HR that Doug wanted me to fill out a 'new hire' packet. I thought this was odd since no one had offered me the job or provided me anything like a job offer. I asked the HR woman and she had no idea if I was going to be offered the job. A week later I got a call to do a third interview at their plant in Albia and tacked on the end of the call was the comment that they wanted to make sure I knew the job was in Albia! The job was posted as being in Lisle and the first two interviews were in that context so I was shocked to hear her say this? I decided to go and meet with Mark Bachman anyway and we had a good conversation. He told me the Lisle PM team would become obsolete and I really needed to be in Albia. It was clear the two brothers were not talking to each other. Another sign I should not have ignored. He wanted me to talk to my family and see if we were willing to move to the area and get back to him. I took a week and we explored the area and decided we were ok with it. I told them and didn't hear anything for several days. First correspondence I got was from HR asking why I hadn't returned all the forms in the 'New Hire' packet. I told her some of them were not appropriate until I had received and accepted a job offer. She shared this with Doug and he emailed me saying he was under the assumption I was hired provided we agreed on a start date. To this point no conversations had detailed out what sort of vacation they were offering, relocation benefits, health insurance costs, etc. Doug told me they didn't do written job offers so I spent a couple weeks trying to get details from him on what they would offer and each call and email left me with more questions then answers. Finally my concerns with Relco's seemingly poor and unorganized management were too great to ignore. I decided I needed to ask them what those two letters "dg" meant after my salary. Turns out this means 'Double Gross'. I had never heard of this term nor had Google but apparently it means the 80k salary we agreed on was open for them to pay all of my benefits from as well as my taxes. It was basically a ploy to make the salary look larger than it really was and no where in the whole process was any of this explained! Just a simple abbreviation (dg) as if the whole world would understand what those letters meant. At this point I still didn't have any details on health insurance costs to even know what my actual salary would be and Doug in typical fashion was taking his sweet old time getting it to me. I was very disappointed because at this point I had already made 5 trips of no less then 3 hours each way at my own cost to pursue this opportunity but it was obvious RELCO IS NOT A GOOD EMPLOYER. I turned down the job and recommend you do the same.

Interview Questions

• What is project management   1 Answer

The project management team is run by Doug Bachman who is in Chicago. The project material is in the plant in Albia which is run by Mark Bachman. Doug gave me every indication he couldn't be trusted and it was also clear the two were not communicating with each other clearly so I was not interested in joining that mess.