Remitly Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 20, 2017

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Remitly (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

There was a phone screen that was about an hour long, with the time split between behavioral and a technical question. Then there was a full day of 5 onsite interviews(4 Technical + Lunch). Each interview was an hour with half the time for behavioral questions, and the other half for a technical question.

The people were really great, they seemed really interested in getting to know me, and throughout all the technical questions, I felt like I was assumed to be competent, which was very refreshing.

The questions themselves were fairly straightforward especially compared to some nightmare questions I've gotten at Google and Bloomberg.

Interview Questions

• What would your manager describe as your biggest strength? Greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Jun 28, 2017 – CEO

Thanks so much for taking the time to post. I really appreciated your comment “they seemed really interested in getting to know me” – that’s definitely true! And is always the intent of our... More

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Remitly.

Interview

Pretty sloppy interview process, felt like they were interviewing a high school kid

Even the C level exec interviewed didn't had conviction on how are they different from other money transfer players...it's another me too remitter

Interview Questions

Remitly Response

Aug 22, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sorry that the process was 'neutral' for you ... we always strive to make it a great interview experience, regardless of the outcome. If you ever want to chat about... More

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Remitly (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Scheduled a 30-min phone interview within 1-2 weeks. Was invited for on-site interview - very lengthy (5 hour-long, 1-on-1 interviews) within another 2-3 weeks. Interviewed by people on the team as well as positions affected by this role. Growing startup fiercely protecting culture fit.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when...   1 Answer

Jul 11, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and for your interest in Remitly. I really value and appreciate it. Best of luck with your job search.

User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Remitly (Savannah, GA) in May 2017.

Interview

It was a great talk. The interviewee is kind and friendly. We talked 45 minutes, included a background introduction, a project walk-through, and asking question section. The culture there in Remitly sounds positive, and the design team is relatively small but growing rapidly.

Interview Questions

• Why you choose Remitly and what goal do you want to achieve in this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Remitly (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

The process was pretty straight forward. After submitting an application and cover letter, I was contacted by the recruiting manager for a quick intro interview, which was followed by a 1-hour phone screen that included some questions and a programming problem in a shared text editor.

The last step was five back-to-back one-hour interviews with various individuals and pairs, which involved asking and answering questions and white-boarding some problems. These were followed by another quick chat with the recruiting manager.

I was offered a position the following day and accepted.

Each person I interacted with during my interview process was friendly and knowledgeable. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• You've been asked to design and implement a nation-wide online voting system. Please describe how you would go about this.   Answer Question

Jun 28, 2017 – CEO

I’m glad that you had a great experience interviewing and that you decided to join Remitly! Welcome! Now that you’re part of the team ... know that I’m always here and open to feedback on things... More

Director of Machine Learning Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Remitly (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Best interview process I have ever experienced! Every single step was very clear and transparent. All the interviewers asked very relevant questions, with virtually zero overlap. Despite the long process (6 hours onsite interview) I felt that the whole process was fun and relevant: the interviews felt more like pleasant conversations more than anything else. I particularly appreciated the emphasis given to cultural fit and the smart way in which the interviewers were assessing it. I also appreciated how every single interviewers made sure to leave some time at the end for my questions and how they openly responded to them. I appreciated that the onsite day took place only after passing two prior phone interviews (one with the HR manager and one with the hiring manager), plus a case study exercise. This showed me that Remitly values the candidates' time (in fact every single interviewer thanked me for my time) and strive to make the whole process and productive as possible for everyone. The decision after the onsite was quick and, as with the whole process, very transparent and positively constructive. It is evident that the company invests in properly guiding interviewers in driving a productive and great interview and that Remitly truly cares about delivering the best possible interview experience to the candidate.

Interview Questions

• Given a specific business problem how would I go about tackling it from a technical point of view. The emphasis was on understanding how I think, my critical thinking skills, my ability to design a solution and to plan its implementation   Answer Question
    • Behavioral questions focusing on assessing the cultural fit   Answer Question

Negotiation

Transparency was a constant factor throughout the negotiation process that I truly appreciated about Remitly. I never felt like I was in a negotiation process: on the contrary I felt that Remitly and I were on the same side trying to find together the best compromise bewteen my expectations and what was reasonable for the company.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Remitly (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Really efficient, and enjoyable for a 5 hour loop, I wasn't peppered with the same questions , each interviewer asked thoughtful and deliberate questions, no time was wasted.

Interview Questions

• What is one of the most innovative things you've done, either in your personal life or professionally.   Answer Question

Jun 28, 2017 – CEO

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your feedback! Happy you’re part of the team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Remitly (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online. I was contacted by a HR for a 30 min phone call to get my background and details about my work. After the conversation, the HR person said he'll give me a call back in a couple of dates with updates. I did not receive a call after that even after reminding about the update.

Interview Questions

Remitly Response

Jan 17, 2017 – HR

Apologies that you had a bad interview experience; however, Remitly does not have offices in New York. Best of luck in your job search!

Best,
    Remitly HR Team

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Remitly (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

3-4 hours flew by! It was 1:1 with 3 different employees. I really enjoyed speaking with my interviewers. Each person had a different style and asked different questions so I did not feel like I had to repeat myself. I learned a great deal about the company and how rewarding it was. Two thumbs up!

Interview Questions

• - Walk me through an average day in your current role.
      - A time I took the lead on a project
      - How do you feel about the start up environment coming from a large corporate company?
      etc...   Answer Question

Jun 28, 2017 – CEO

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. Hope things are going well with you since you joined Team Remitly! Glad you're part of the team.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Remitly.

Interview

There were several 1:1 interviews and they ranged from technical to behavioral interviews. This was definitely an investment in time as I interviewed from 11:00 am to 5:00 PM. However, it wasn't painful and all the interviews were really conversational and I had a really great time meeting everyone. From the interviews, it was very clear that they cared a lot about professional and personality fit.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in your next role and how does this fit?   Answer Question

Jun 28, 2017 – CEO

I'm so glad you picked up on the fact that we care a lot about "professional and personality fit". Glad that you joined the team and hope you're having a great time as part of Team Remitly.... More