Remitly Reviews

Updated Aug 4, 2020

4.3
Remitly Co-Founder and CEO  Matt Oppenheimer
Matt Oppenheimer
Pros
  • "Remitly takes it's Cultural Values to heart(in 7 reviews)

• "The CEO genuinely cares about creating a product that supports immigrants, not exploits them, and most of the leadership follows that guidance(in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love this place. Helping me grow really fast."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Remitly full-time for more than a year

Pros

+ Mission of the company runs deep - including how much we celebrate our customers as heros (they are!). + Customer driven/centric - from practices of doing customer development to consistent message from the top down and from peers side to side to deliver for the customer. + Excellent leadership team - it's one of the primary reasons I came and choose to stay. + Excellent middle managers generally - I'm really impressed with the quality of the majority of my peers. Everyone is on the same team, working towards solving customer problems/company problems (not just my team vs another team), working together in a way that promotes trust and helps each other grow + Cultural values are real, lived out, and create an environment of growth. + High performers are rewarded + Toxic folks or people who aren't great at their work here are addressed and transitioned out + Willing to make big bets

Cons

- Still has growing pains of transitioning from a scrappy startup to a scaling startup - Can be rigorous in a way that leads to an intense/serious environment at times (not in terms of work hours, but in terms of how high stakes decisions and work products seem to be) At the same time, this rigor is what's helping me grow as a person and effective leader at a really high speed. - Has struggled with focus in the past, but that's getting much better.

December 16, 2019CEO

Thank you *so* much for taking the time to share your detailed feedback. I especially appreciated your comments around the "mission of the company runs deep" and being "customer driven/centric ". You captured it so well -- our customers are heros and we are so lucky to be able to serve them. I'm also glad that you see that the we have a great team -- I also feel so lucky to get to work with this team everyday. Great feedback as well on our transition from a 'scappy startup to a scaling startup'. It's definitely a transition and I'm always open to feedback if there's anything we can do better here. We're also trying to do a much better job at *focusing* in our 2020 strategic planning so I appreciate that feedback as well -- it's top of mind. I'm so glad that you're part of the team! I can see from your comments that you add a ton to our customers and culture. Thank you!

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Director of Finance in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Remitly full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart and thoughtful leaders, collaborative team, exciting business.

Cons

Great equity, but employer funded portion of 401k is not significant.

Continue reading

3. "Great place to work. Moving fast"

4.0

I have been working at Remitly full-time for more than a year

Pros

+ Great opportunities for influence + Genuinely cares about diversity and inclusion

Cons

- Moving fast means sometimes things aren't done perfectly. - a small company means sometimes execs are involved at a level of detail that hinders progress

4. "Best work culture I've ever been a part of"

Current Employee - Director, Organization Development in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Remitly full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growing and healthy company; great culture; great mission; love what the people and the work

Cons

We're scaling fast and expanding globally so you can't expect all processes and support mechanisms to be perfect. We're not a big corporate work environment so be prepared to just make things work sometimes. Need to be prepared to build and create no matter what position you hold.

July 13, 2020CEO

Thanks so much for the thoughtful post! I'm really happy that you're a key leader on the team and that you appreciate our culture, mission, and the people at Remitly. Thanks also for sharing that we are scaling fast (so true!) and that we're not a big corporate work environment so that folks need to come prepared to build and "Be an Owner" -- that's exactly right! I'm glad you enjoy doing that and I'm very grateful for your contributions -- both culturally and in your area of expertise.

5. "Definitely a 'Best Place to Work'"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Remitly full-time for less than a year

Pros

+mission, vision, & values run deep +taking positive actions around diversity, equity, & inclusion +collaborative environment - no one really says "that's not my job" +able to communicate regularly with senior leadership, including CEO +actively celebrate our accomplishments, as well as our customers and the impact they have on our success

Cons

-grew globally very quickly, so some things haven't scaled quite as fast or in the correct way -some roles don't have a clear career trajectory (how to get to next level) -some of the scrappiness that is still around, having begun as a start-up, is tough to muddle through sometimes. But, it's also one reason why I also love working for Remitly - you get to be a true owner and contribute to things that far outreach your daily job duties.

July 13, 2020CEO

Thanks so for taking the time to share your feedback! And for being part of the team! I really appreciate all of the positives that you mention here. These things all matter to me a lot personally and I know that we (including you!) collectively work to make them a priority. Thank you! Great points on the 'cons' as well, especially around making sure we're growing globally effectively. That's a key priority. Thanks again for your thoughts and for caring so much about our company.

6. COVID-19

"Great company, tons of growth, more opportunities ahead"

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Remitly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is an incredibly well run company. It thinks deeply about the customer and what it will take the get to the next level. What is exciting is that somehow it seems to be growing even faster at scale then before. On top of which, there are new products like Passbook which will be an entirely new S curve on top of remittances. There seems to be a really clear vision of where we are going, why we are doing what we are doing (the customer), and very thoughtful execution. Speaking as someone who has been at Remitly for a few years now and seen a lot of growth, I am as excited about what’s ahead as what we have accomplished. And a word on COVID. The leadership has done an incredible job investing in both growing the business but also paying attention to what’s going on with employees during COVID and the racial uprising here. Kudos to Matt and the rest of the leadership team. In this case, it feels like we were able to do both gracefully.

Cons

We have a middle manager team that is growing. Not quite a con yet, but it’s clear that we need to invest in this group to make sure that they are effective, well aligned, and autonomous. Otherwise, we will start getting in our own way.

July 6, 2020CEO

Thank you so much for your thoughts! I really appreciate your feedback! And I'm so glad you're on the team (for a few years now!). Thank you for being a key part of our growth. I'm really happy to hear that you know we're driven by our desire to serve and help our customers. That's what makes this business and work meaningful. And ... needless to say ... I'm also incredibly excited about our vision :). Glad you are too! I also really appreciate your thoughts on developing middle management. You're right this is so important, especially for a company our stage/size, and we'll continue to double down on this area. Thanks again for being part of Team Remitly and for sharing your thoughts!

7. COVID-19

"Between Startup and Corporate in the Time of Covid"

4.0
    Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Remitly full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Unlimited PTO * Bring your whole self to work * Great senior management team * Good benefits

Cons

* Growing gap between senior management and individual contributors as teams scale and org tree becomes more vertical. * Middle management starting to feel more political and corporate.

June 29, 2020CEO

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I'm happy to hear that you feel like you can bring your whole self to work, that you have confidence in the senior management team, and that you like our benefits. I also value your feedback on the gap between senior management and ICs and I'm sorry to hear that you feel like middle management ins starting to feel more political and corporate. If you're open to discussing this in a bit more detail so I can understand the specifics, I'd welcome a longer discussion about it during my next office hours. I'll also look to the engagement score feedback and commentary for your insights. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback -- i'm grateful for your contributions and that you're on the team!

"Remitly genuinely cares about the customer and its team"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Remitly full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities for growth, great team culture, unlimited PTO, company with a vision and mission that resonates throughout everything we do, people are willing to teach you and not looking to step on you for personal gain.

Cons

Very meeting oriented culture, sometimes it is difficult to work across teams without feeling blocked, time management is difficult with these two things going on.

May 11, 2020CEO

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide your thoughtful feedback. I really appreciate it and I'm so glad you're on the team. The pros that you mention definitely resonate and I'm so glad you're both seeing the opportunities for growth and that you see our "vision and mission that resonates throughout everything we do". Your advice to management is so well said and I promise you we'll continue to work as hard as possible to support vulnerable communities as allies. Thank you again for taking the time to give your feedback and for all of your contributions.

9. COVID-19

"Kind colleagues, great leadership, meaningful work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Remitly full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Passionate colleagues - Career growth opportunities -- many people get to move around and learn new roles, opportunities to advance - Social mission - Flexible schedules and empathetic managers right now, amid COVID and work from home)

Cons

- I can't think of much that's really negative.

May 11, 2020CEO

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide your feedback. I'm so glad that you're enjoying it here and that you're on Team Remitly!

"Supportive and Challenging Environment Doing Work that Makes a Difference"

Current Employee - Decision Science Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Remitly full-time for more than a year

Pros

Remitly cares about your well-being as an individual, and they are generally open to feedback regarding what they can do to best support their employees. The CEO genuinely cares about creating a product that supports immigrants, not exploits them, and most of the leadership follows that guidance.

Cons

Remitly is in that awkward growth stage where it is figuring out how to still act with the flexibility of a startup, but is truly too large to be as agile as one. Cross-team collaboration and communication can sometimes be difficult to coordinate and execute. They are aware of the problem, though. For some people, the base salary pay may not be competitive. Stock options are offered, so it's a balance between getting a larger salary now or betting on the future. I'd also recommend weighing the benefits of good work-life balance.

May 4, 2020CEO

Thanks so much for your thoughtful feedback. I'm so glad that you're on the team. I also really appreciate your feedback regarding the fact that Remitly is at the "awkward growth stage" and you're right that we're aware of it ... I know we'll continuously improve here (as successful companies must at our scale/size). Most importantly -- I'm so happy to hear that you know I genuinely care about creating products that support immigrants. That's definitely not always the case in the industry (or in many companies) and that's absolutely what Remitly is all about. Thank you again for being part of Team Remitly and for your feedback!

Found 61 reviews