Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 13, 2017

2.5

Help Desk Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Got a very brief personality screening. Answered basic questions about myself and my aspirations. Most questions pertained to social skills and working as a team. Interview was very casual and laid back.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in two years?   1 Answer

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Long Process. Phone Interview with HR representative. Phone interview with Manager of the department I would work for. In person interview with potential coworkers. In person interview with Managers of the department. In person interview with the Director. In person interview with the Vice President.
    I also needed to provide 10 references in a short time frame.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

This was by far one of the most informal and enjoyable interviews I have ever had. I met with the faculty, spent about a half hour chatting with each of them, and then went to lunch.

Student Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Relatively straightforward. As a student in the department, applied for a summer research job. Professor had an research grant that allows for two extra research assistants for the summer. Talked to the professor after lecture to express my interest in the research program. Discussed my background and interest in his research as well as availability over the summer. Interviews lasted several weeks, mostly in person. Went by to see the research and get a high level overview on what was required for the position.

Interview Questions

Interview

In person, a graduate student asked me what my strengths were as a programmer, and examples of how I put it to use. Also checked various skills such as first order logic. Later sent out a series of questions to evaluate my experience with the particular tools the lab was using, and problem solving ability.

Interview Questions

• What would you say your greatest strength is in programming?   Answer Question

Graduate Researcher Interview

Interview

Informal, just talking to professors to see who is the right fit with the right research. The tougher part is the written application part of actually getting into RPI. It was all very relaxed.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY).

Interview

Round one (1) committee interview followed up with a round two (2) in person interview with hiring manager. The committee was made up of various staff and faculty across campus. They had prepared questions.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose Rensselaer and the career for which you are preparing?   Answer Question

Interview

It was the connection between my former boss and the boss at RPI. No formal interview. My CV, papers and 3 letters of reference were requested.The process went smoothly.Only time consuming thing was that I had to wait for the dean to issue official offer letter.

Negotiation

did not negotiate.

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

Had phone interview first. Followed by interview with HR, supervisor and rest of the team. Second interview with supervisor. Process is fairly slow from time of first contact to offer of job, but was worth the wait.

Interview Questions

• Wanted to know if I was able to name all of the schools within RPI   1 Answer

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY).

Interview

You MUST be an enrolled student at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Simply contact a professor, whose field of research or specific project is of interest to you, via email or in-person at their respective office. Definitely provide a resume and cover letter and express your interest in their subject. Most likely, they will ask questions about your experiences and goals (almost an informal interview). It is not difficult to get a position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiation for salary. You only discuss your schedule.