Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 6, 2017

2.5

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

4+ months with very little communication. Phone interview followed up with in person interview with various members of the department including Director, staff and subordinates. I was told I was overqualified for the position, but still interviewed. Took 5 weeks to hear about being a finalist and then background check and references. Followed up 4 weeks later with no returned email or call, heard back 2 1/2 weeks later with a VM requesting a call back. They never returned the call, only to find out my result online and a email notifying I was not offered the position. I was not able to attain any feeback since no phone call was returned.

Student Services Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in December 2016.

Interview

My first contact was via email, which was a first for me. I cleared my schedule and made time to go. After the first interview on site, I was called to come in the next day to meet with a dean. It was a hectic time, but I went. On both occasions, the interview went longer than scheduled. I was told I'd hear soon...and I was never contacted again.

Interview Questions

• How do you see yourself learning about all the tasks entailed in the position?   Answer Question

Help Desk Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Got a very brief personality screening. Answered basic questions about myself and my aspirations. Most questions pertained to social skills and working as a team. Interview was very casual and laid back.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in two years?   1 Answer

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Long Process. Phone Interview with HR representative. Phone interview with Manager of the department I would work for. In person interview with potential coworkers. In person interview with Managers of the department. In person interview with the Director. In person interview with the Vice President.
    I also needed to provide 10 references in a short time frame.

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

This was by far one of the most informal and enjoyable interviews I have ever had. I met with the faculty, spent about a half hour chatting with each of them, and then went to lunch.

Student Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Relatively straightforward. As a student in the department, applied for a summer research job. Professor had an research grant that allows for two extra research assistants for the summer. Talked to the professor after lecture to express my interest in the research program. Discussed my background and interest in his research as well as availability over the summer. Interviews lasted several weeks, mostly in person. Went by to see the research and get a high level overview on what was required for the position.

Interview Questions

Interview

In person, a graduate student asked me what my strengths were as a programmer, and examples of how I put it to use. Also checked various skills such as first order logic. Later sent out a series of questions to evaluate my experience with the particular tools the lab was using, and problem solving ability.

Interview Questions

• What would you say your greatest strength is in programming?   Answer Question

Interview

Informal, just talking to professors to see who is the right fit with the right research. The tougher part is the written application part of actually getting into RPI. It was all very relaxed.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, NY).

Interview

Round one (1) committee interview followed up with a round two (2) in person interview with hiring manager. The committee was made up of various staff and faculty across campus. They had prepared questions.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose Rensselaer and the career for which you are preparing?   Answer Question

Interview

It was the connection between my former boss and the boss at RPI. No formal interview. My CV, papers and 3 letters of reference were requested.The process went smoothly.Only time consuming thing was that I had to wait for the dean to issue official offer letter.

Negotiation

did not negotiate.