Republic Polytechnic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Republic Polytechnic

3.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at Republic Polytechnic

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woodlands, North (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Republic Polytechnic (Woodlands, North (Singapore)).

Interview

Very slow. Takes ages to get back to you. HR is overwhelmed and understaffed.

Initial offer might not be what you expect. Most of us expect a pay cut when we move the poly.

2 rounds. First round with some senior lecturers who will suss out your expertise. That's what we look for, expertise.

Second round with director and another member of senior management.

Interview Questions

• Expect to be asked about why transition to education. How your expertise is relevant. What courses can you potentially teach, what courses can you suggest that are relevant to what the school you're applying to need, what kind of industry network do you have and how can the school benefit from it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Don't be afraid to ask for a better pay but you need to be clear in your justification.

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Republic Polytechnic (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

Firstly I met up with the Program Chair and Assistant Director in person in the school. It was an informal interview and it felt more like a get-to-know-you session.

Second one was a formal interview with the school director, HR executive an Program Chair. In this interview, the director was speaking most of the time and the rest was rather quiet. During the interview, the director was abrasive and arrogant. Treated the interview like an interrogation. Instead of asking about my technical abilities and experiences, she asks personal questions like family relationships and marital status.

Interview Questions

• Why are you divorced?   3 Answers
    • Why you want to teach in this school? Our students does not come from reputable backgrounds.   1 Answer

The interviewer borders on rudeness, arrogant and offensive at times.

Lecturer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Republic Polytechnic.

Interview

The position was advertised online through the typical outlets. I applied to the position somewhere mid 2014 and the position is still open as at this time of writing in May 2015. The interview process involved two face-to-face interviews. The first was conducted by middle management members of the department that I had applied to. The second was conducted by members of senior management from the department as well as from HR.

Interview Questions

• The first round of interview questions was pretty standard and professional. It was related to their expectations, needs, and what I could contribute as well as uniquely contribute. The interviewers were polite and professional.

The second round of interview questions with the members of senior management was very unusual and unprofessional. Questions were mainly related to very personal issues such as marriage and relationships. There was very little interest in my skills and how I could contribute to the department. The very first question by the interviewer was if I was married. When I stated I was not, I was automatically deemed a poor team player. The interviewer was subsequently rude and abrasive and was even calling me unpleasant names. The rest of the interview consisted mainly of me defending myself against the interviewer’s harsh and negative judgements, based on assumptions I had to explicitly enquire into, only to discover that they were untrue or unjustified.   Answer Question

Lecturer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Republic Polytechnic.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews, one with middle management and one with senior management. They asked questions relating to my prior experience and why I want to join RP. First round was made up with 2 ADs and a SL, 2nd round was with the directors.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join RP?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Republic Polytechnic (Singapore (Singapore)) in May 2014.

Interview

1st round by hiring department to establish your experience; RP utilizes PBL, so that probably accounts for them not using a demo session like other Polytechnics as all Lecturers have to go for training before being assigned a class;
    2nd round with director of school and HR, mostly to confirm choice and to make sure we do not run a business on the side.

If you're successful, HR will inform you 3 months later; if you're not successful, they probably will inform you in the same timeframe?

Academic Staff Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Republic Polytechnic in September 2009.

Interview

One on one interview about you, your skills and experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle difficult students?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No. They are quite fixed.

Associate Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Republic Polytechnic (Singapore (Singapore)) in March 2018.

Interview

Phone Call - Initial feeling call to see if you're a good fit.
    In-person interview consists of the following.
    Written Paper - Tests your domain knowledge and writing ability.
    Mock Lecture - Tests your ability to handle students.
    Interview - Dreams, aspirations, goals and why you are here.

There's also a training session that teaches you to teach after.

Associate Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Republic Polytechnic (Singapore (Singapore)) in April 2014.

Interview

Interview with the diploma and department head that lasted an hour. Started off with the usual "walk me through your resume", followed by asking some of the past teaching experience. Questions include - describe your curriculum development experience, additional contributions outside the classroom, other areas of educational interests.

Administrative Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Republic Polytechnic (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

Interview was interesting and engaging. Interviewers were welcoming and enthusiastic about introducing the job profile to me. A sample lesson was given to me and I was given some time to think about how I would facilitate the lesson.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Republic Polytechnic (Singapore (Singapore)) in November 2017.

Interview

It was a good and enjoyable process. The interviewer was friendly and explained the role clearly. There is a need to know your resume clearly as the interviewer will ask in details what is it about.