Rover.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

Sort:

Pet Sitter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterford, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rover.com (Waterford, MI) in February 2015.

Interview

There are no interviews to become a Rover sitter. You do have to pass a background check. There are two background checks available free regular and advanced. Must look up comply to local, county, and state laws on your own.

Interview Questions

• Pass regular or advanced background check.   1 Answer

Pet Sitter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Rover.com (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2016.

Interview

It was completely online and there wasn't really a right or a wrong answer to be able to sign up. The real challenge is getting clients so you go through a mini interview every time you add a new client.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rover.com (Seattle, WA) in March 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for what I was told was a full stack position. They apparently didn't even realize that I had applied about 7 months earlier, and had received the standard rejection letter without anyone ever speaking to me. How did I go from not even being worth talking to, to having a recruiter seeking me out? Next up was a phone interview, which involved a coding session with string parsing and unit tests. They set aside an hour for it, but my interviewer was done asking questions within 30 minutes. After that, there was a coding assignment. This involves parsing data from a CSV, setting up a database, importing the data, creating a website, and writing unit tests. Expect to spend a lot of time on it. After that, there is an in-person interview, lasting about 3 hours. The first hour is design, the second hour is coding, and the third hour is culture fit. They will expect you to bring your own laptop to keep working on your coding project. If you don't have one, you will get a loaner which will not be set up as you asked, so come an hour early to fix it. The design session is for a threaded messaging system, which you will then implement in the next interview round along with other questions about your background. I was told that this is supposed to be like a real work scenario, but being asked to code a messaging system in 30 minutes while cutting every corner possible to "just get it to work", is definitely not something you would do in real life. I also learned that this was not actually a full stack position, they just wanted someone to write python, which if I had known that, I would have said no at the start. I'm not sure why the bait and switch. I was also a little upset to spend all that time on the interview process and then have someone in my interview act like they had no desire to be there, spending the whole time on their tablet. The swearing wasn't really appropriate, either. It was not a place I'd ever want to consider in the future.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rover.com (Seattle, WA) in February 2018.

Interview

A short phone interview followed by a homework assignment. The phone interview was short; the homework assignment was long. They didn't say it, but they wanted someone with experience in a Rails-style environment, doing both backend and frontend work. I believe I mentioned being uncomfortable with javascript in my phone interview.

They could have done a much better job with the phone interview to establish that I at least thought I had the right qualifications for the type of position.

Interview Questions

• The homework assignment has a 4KB requirements document. It doesn't specify that the result must be a website, but the result must be a website. You must read the document carefully to ensure that you are in compliance. The assignment will reasonably take several hours to complete.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rover.com (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I got several emails from different recruiters. Ended up with scheduling a tech call without introductory call with HR which was odd but fine. The call was just a basic tech - sort of screening that you are a programmer actually without identifying your skill level and had pair programming very simple stuff and several background questions. As others mentioned then they give you a work-from-home project. Its declared that you can use any framework to show the best of your skills. I chose a pretty massive platform that yet had completely nothing related to the task except my familiarity with zend syntax. Its thought to take about 4 hours - with no rush I spent about 12 because I ultimately wanted to join the company because of matching vision and goals and I made sure my code is tested and valid from all possible places. Guess my surprise when I got a response that they are not moving forward. Good point is that I got that response, bad - I was told that the team enjoyed my tests around functionality (which I believe were very standard and moderate) and as a "critical fault" I got a notification about 2 minor things that to be honest are fixable in 10 minutes and have nothing major to the global stable solution. Request for clarity was completely ignored
    Advice for those who want to apply - think twice. Most of those accepted offers seem to be from referrals of current employees who might "helped" them to be accepted. Having 10 years of active development experience and passed interviews with FB/Google that was a shock to be failed for a well-done coding project. If you are a good engineer in love with pets enough to spend 3-6 hours and love Vegas and Gambling - go ahead and try. Gambling is an important step to offers here.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Rover.com (Seattle, WA) in May 2018.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight forward. There were three parts to this interview: technical phone interview, a take-home coding project, and an in-person interview.

The technical phone interview was pretty straight forward. They asked questions about your experience, etc. The coding problem was easy. This phone call lasted about an hour. A few days later I received an email where they asked for me to complete a take-home coding assignment. In my opinion, this assignment was key regarding how successful you as a candidate will be when interviewing at Rover. You have one week to complete the assignment. My advice... put effort into this assignment and do not cut corners. Lastly, the in-person interview was standard as well. This lasted about 3-4 hours. Interviewers ask questions about your take-home project and they want to see how you'd make it better with the additional information they tell you in the interview, etc.

Key advice: Program in a language you are comfortable in even if you know the programming language is not used at Rover. Really think about why you are using the technologies you decided on for your take-home project if you get to this point. Make sure you document why you made the decision you did. The people interviewing you want to understand how you came about your solution.

Interview Questions

• Re-build Rover's web application with specified requirements (e.g. take-home coding assignment).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rover.com (Seattle, WA) in July 2018.

Interview

This place is a waste of time. The interview process involved an initial phone call with a recruiter followed by a technical pair programming session that is then supposed to be followed by a take home project which would then lead to an in-person interview. In the technical pair programming session (not difficult) my solution passed all test cases in an elegant way yet they wouldn't move me on to the take home project. Waste of time. They have also come under fire recently in the press due to a customer's dog being killed by a larger dog while under care of one of their sitters.

Interview Questions

• The pair programming session is TDD type where the interviewer writes failing test cases and then you have to make them pass, each building on the previous one. The take home project after that is supposed to be a web app that you will then improve upon if you make it to the on-site interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Rover.com (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process has a few phone screen calls, an at home project, then a few in person interviews (on the same day). It was a very comfortable and open process. They were not trying to trick or make it extremely hard for no reason. They were very much interested in how you interact with the interviewer and approached problems it appeared.

Interview Questions

• The interview included an at home project that was to use your current knowledge on your own to create a replacement site with a few requirements but you needed to fulfill them how you saw fit.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rover.com (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

There were 3 steps to the interview. The first was a standard technical phone interview. where we worked through a coding problem. The second was a take home project. The project was a bit time consuming, but didn't feel too extreme. The third step was an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of an hour of whiteboarding design, an hour of working on the previously submitted project and then a third hour talking more about the business and was more about fit.

I think since the on-site interview was shorter than a typical on-site, the coding project isn't too bad. In fact, I liked the fact that I could work on the project in a comfortable environment instead of trying to whiteboard solutions to obscure problems for a whole day.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rover.com (Seattle, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

The interview process is pretty standard. Rely more on coding skills and problem solving rather than algorithm. The most interesting part of the interview is the coding project where you set up a full stack app. The focus is more on backend than frontend
    - recruiter phone screen
    - technical phone screen
    - homework
    - onsite

Interview Questions

• Onsite: questions on database design and improvement on project   Answer Question