SMS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SMS Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2017

1.9

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SMS (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

After submitting resume, I received an e-mail invitation for a phone interview. The gentleman on the other line was very amiable, assessing my interpersonal skills as well as my former business experience. I then received another email to continue to through the hiring process. Part of that was a week-long sales training. The training was online and was very enjoyable. Lots of information came through, and I felt a bit overwhelmed from it. As part of training, company send a FedEx with initial training materials and company info.

Interview Questions

• What is your sales experience?
      How do you overcome objections?
      What has been your biggest challenge while selling?   Answer Question

Senior Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at SMS (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

I am not sure if they found me or I found them, but ultimately we communicated via email and set up an interview. The interviewer was very professional and asked good insightful questions, but nothing crazy hard - just what you'd expect. And he then invited me, during the interview, to come to the web based training. I guess they are trying to fill a training class, so I was a decent 'add'. They sent me some materials and access to an online portal to do the paperwork. All very good, no problems. They also were clear that I would not be an 'employee' until I finished training...so it sounds like training is actually part of the interview. Ok, no problem. But then things started to get weird.

The company seems to have a bunch of different names, not all of which have a great reputation online. So I found a few people on LinkedIn that show they have that job title, and I messaged them. 2 responded. Both, essentially, said, 'run as fast as you can'. But I also know that straight commission sales isn't for everybody, so I decided to go the next step and do the training/next part of the interview. I also found it odd that for a company that is as large as they say, they don't have a very good web presence. Very home grown website and no social media presence I could find at all. It's like the pieces just don't add up right with these guys. They say they're a big company, but the collateral just doesn't look like that's right.

The training was odd. It is web-based and real time, so you need to be there and watching as it occurs, but they do not let you interact other than to write 'chat ' questions that the trainer answers as questions come in. That kind of makes sense if there are lots of people being trained, except it turns out that there were just a few of us on the training - like 4-5 people I think, and it was odd that they seemed to want to keep us well separated from one another. I could only know how many others were on the call from when the HR person asked each of us to validate something she was presenting. The primary trainer himself was really good, I thought, and kept things moving well and covered good material. But when the 'group' can't interact or feed questions off one another, the presenter really has no idea where we're following him or when we're lost. I tried at one point to ask a clarification on commissions, (via chat message) but was told to deal with it after the session. That was the only question I asked in the full day session, and even then they didn't want to deal with it as a group. As promised ,the presenter called me after the session to help me understand the commission. He seemed angry and put off by having to deal with me after the session - maybe he was just tired. But I asked then why the group couldn't talk to each other, and he gave me just a bizarre answer. He said they had had "problems with that. Someone went to someone's house once, and it wasn't ok." What the heck does that even mean? I am lost, but clearly he doesn't want to talk about it anymore so we just moved on.

There for me was no one awful thing in the interview. Both the interview and the training/interviewer seemed knowledgeable. As for the job, they are paying me to be the second sort of 'appointment setter' in the process of selling consulting, and I am expected to call in to a more senior person to help me close sales. I don't like that I can't control the sale, but that's my personal preference and not a reflection on the company. But the real issue for me is that the company story just didn't gel to me. I don't get the multiple names, 'under the radar' secrecy approach...complete lack of social media presence...it just doesn't smell right, so I told them via email I would not be returning...so I guess I failed the interview...and that was ok with me. Maybe they're ok for someone else - I really am not sure, but it just felt 'off'...and not in a very good way. I'd rather work with people who are upfront and honest, and I just didn't get that feeling with these guys.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want this position? What happened in my last position for me to need a new job?   Answer Question

Field Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sioux Falls, SD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SMS (Sioux Falls, SD) in April 2016.

Interview

First I got a call from their cheap recruiting firm Sullivan and Cogliano that SMS was hiring immediately. It sounded alright so I sent them another resume and the authorization first thing the next morning. A few day went by and I didn't hear anything so I tried to follow up and could not get any answer or return calls from messages I left from them so I called the main office and their director told me that they sent in my resume to SMS a day before I gave them my better resume in MS Word .doc format (same) resume with the authorization agreement form. Before I got any response from their recruiter, Sullivan and Cogliano, I got a Call from Compucom and they told me they were a sister company to SMS , owned by the same guy but they could not do anything because of the resume turned in before. They did at least call back to verify my resume was submitted within a few hours. After more than a week I get the phone interview from SMS. It sounded like a very simple job that paid alright but their main concern was that I have a small minvan for their fleet to travel many hundreds of miles all over the countryside. Once you go permanant with SMS then they get you a company car made for their field tech service. Ultimately all they really wanted was a cheap fleet of cars at our expense. Unfortunately I have a big Dodge cargo van and two hatchbacks to carry all my stuff and that just is'nt good enough.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SMS (Atlanta, GA) in March 2016.

Interview

A typical phone interview that consisted of the basic questions. However, watch out, they may not let you get to your questions. If this happens, its a strategy. They don't want you to know too much without giving them some business cardsNormal questions. Nothing too difficult. How long have you've been in sales? Are you a strong closer? Do you have b2b experience? How long have you've been out of work? When can you start? Are you expecting to go on vacation in the next 60 days. Are you ok with online training for 1wk? Then, someone will come and work with you the following.

Interview Questions

• Normal questions. Nothing too difficult. How long have you've been in sales? Are you a strong closer? Do you have b2b experience? How long have you've been out of work? When can you start? Are you expecting to go on vacation in the next 60 days. Are you ok with online training for 1wk? Then, someone will come and work with you the following.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Garner, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SMS (Garner, NC) in January 2016.

Interview

Everything was done by email then phone. Email was first asking me to be prepared and asked some preliminary questions. This email also had company information on it as well as a more detailed description of the SAM position.

Interview Questions

• What has made you available? what do you consider success as professional? as a leader?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palm Springs, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SMS (Palm Springs, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was seamless with an extensive week-long webinar and onsite training with a Regional Manager.The process weas very professional and everything was explained clearly along the way. During this process I was able to speak to current employees and gain significant insight into the organization.

Interview Questions

• Are you honest and committed to building a career for yourself?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SMS (Austin, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR representative took about 30 minutes; salary and benefits briefly discussed. Phone interview with technical and project manager supervisors took about an hour. Decision was made within two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Questions were asked related to my skills and experience   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SMS (Indianapolis, IN) in June 2015.

Interview

set up inteview next day, spent 40 minutes got offer, turned it down since it was commission only and i need to write more because glass door makes you or does not give you access. too bad I dont have more to say. how are you, still need more

Interview Questions

• why did you leave your last job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

none

Senior Area Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SMS in January 2015.

Interview

Sent in resume and received email for HR early the next am, set phone interview the next day for 8am. Received call and spent 40 minutes on phone basically be sold the position as everyone else has said. Only question was why I left my last employer. If your looking for interview experience this is not it! Training is now Webinar, so that satisfies the other comments I read about being unpaid. It 5 days of training from 9-4p and Fri for 2 hours. You start in the field the following Monday. I was told your mgr will fly in and spend ONE day with you that week. I asked about retention and was told turnover is low and the BC's(Telemarketers) are 30% which I guess is no shock, but then was told they can make $100K as well. Position is based on the BC's getting you good appts. GOOD, DEFINITE appts. Then you go in and sell the services, without taking payment. If you can get an appt for the analyst that comes after you, he will take the check and sell away. THEN you get paid.

If I wasn't seasoned, I probably would of tried the position for awhile. Can't beat training and its from home. I did look on the BBB site and there seems to be issues all over the board. I agree with 90% of the other reviews except the hybrid cards. I think this is a great avenue to get better leads for your BC. Why? Well your in your market, your BC is not. So if you get the cards and send it to your BC and they qualify a good target then perfect!

Seems shady overall to me, but again starting out in sales worth a shot.

Interview Questions

Not for a seasoned sales person AND you rely on 2 other people to do their job in order to get paid. I like to close my own, so I know whats coming. I don't like waiting, not knowing and relying on others to hopefully get me a check.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SMS (Pittsburgh, PA) in December 2014.

Interview

I agree with the above comment that they were trying to sell me on the position. He did not ask a lot of questions. I asked him a lot of questions and now I understand the company but overall I was not convinced success would come as the hiring manager stated.

Was not convinced about the experience.