SMS Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 21, 2019

3.4
Dave Danzig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "None - well maybe the potential to make money - IF you can stand the pushy and manipulative sales practices and the micro-management" (in 6 reviews)

• "There are no Pros, this is a pyramid scheme at best" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "The whole premise of your job is to get business owners to open up their financials to an analyst" (in 8 reviews)

• "Sometimes, they said not to send anyone, then you show up anyway, making them angry" (in 3 reviews)

1. "SBA - Chicago"

Current Employee - SBA in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - SBA in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at SMS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Been a member of SMS for the past 7 years and have found almost all of it very enjoyable and even more so profitable. I feel like they give the tools necessary to excel in this industry and everybody I have worked with has been very much about the team. I thankfully do not have to travel as much at this point in my career but I never really found it to be an issue when called to do such. I have multiple salary raises over the years and felt like I am paid well for what I provide to them.

Cons

I can see how maybe someone just starting out could get tired of the traveling. The more of a team player you are will to be the faster you would ascend.

"customer service rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at SMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

first year I was part-time and given opportunity to move to full time and it has been a good experience since then. Part time was not the greatest but the pay and benefits since moving to full time has been worth it. Flexibility with schedule is a must for me because of family obligations and that is provided. Not sure if this would be the case for all positions or just mine because it is kind of entry levelish. Breaks are pretty much at my discretion but no set amount is stated. All in all I think it is a pretty decent place to work and I enjoy the people around me. I would like to at some point be given the opportunity to transition to a higher paid position and it seems like that is a possibility. They seem to like to train from within so I think it will be a good fit.

Cons

low pay as a part time was the major issue but that has since been fixed with my move to full-time.

"Sexual harassment and hazing is considered training here apparently."

Former Employee - ISBC in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Former Employee - ISBC in Buffalo Grove, IL

Pros

There are no Pros, this is a pyramid scheme at best. A despicable group of manchildren,

Cons

Hostile work enviornment, Hazing and sexual harassment, Completely unethical and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Quit your job, you should be ashamed of yourself

"account recv"

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at SMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits were better than I had expected, especially in comparison to what other firms offer. SMS has been good to me. I would say it is a good overall company. Good people. Opportunity to work with upper management. I work within a very inspiring and helpful team. I never go without support, which is important to me.

Cons

boring work that can get tedious

"Only so many businesses to burn in your territory."

Former Employee - Area Manager in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Allentown, PA

I worked at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They do pay you when you are able to con a business owner out of money. Not really a pro and there really aren’t any. You will be micromanaged constantly by your managers and even those that aren’t your managers.

Cons

The whole premise of your job is to get business owners to open up their financials to an analyst. The analyst can then see how much money the company can milk out of the client by scare tactics and manipulation. If you had a good reputation prior to working for this company it will never be the same after if you do business with anyone you know.

Advice to Management

Stop changing names and live up to what you promise. SMS, GPS, CBS, IDS, STA, going to run out of 3 letter acronyms if you keep pushing your employees to commit the types of scams on people.

"SAM"

Current Employee - SAM in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - SAM in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom to do your job

Cons

Bad leads. Ethical issues. Bad business practices

Advice to Management

Pay your employees

"Leads...? HAH!! You might as well be making cold calls yourself."

I worked at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None - well maybe the potential to make money - IF you can stand the pushy and manipulative sales practices and the micro-management.

Cons

Pushy, HIGHLY manipulative sales methods.
    This is a big decision for people, yet you are expected to close 'em on the spot or coerce them get on the phone with a closer/shark while you are sitting there in their office.
    Micro-management, yet minimally responsive when following mandatory call-in procedures
    Leads and pre-set appointments??? What a joke!! 90+% of the time, people don't have any idea you are coming or why you are there. Sometimes, they said not to send anyone, then you show up anyway, making them angry.
    5:00 AM mandatory conference calls - all the same blather - sell, sell, sell.....

Advice to Management

Highly pushy used car sales lots are also still around.
    But more and more, this type of coercive sales is becoming frowned upon, especially in the more affluent and/or highly educated markets.

"Bc"

Pros

If you. Can sell you can make money

Cons

Hard to find interested business owners

Advice to Management

I don’t really know hinestly

9. "ANalyst"

Pros

great place to work at

Cons

can't think of any off

10. "Sam"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at SMS full-time

Pros

Very good Pay and good appointments. Weekends off

Cons

None love the company