SSL Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

Sort:

Associate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at SSL (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

SSL representatives came to my school early in the fall of 2016 to hold an info session. They were promoting college recruiting for the following summer for interns and new hires. Also went to an onsite career fair. I applied online and was asked to come in for an all day interview. I met with several hiring managers who asked me about myself. Nothing too technical, mostly just my experience. Then I had lunch with the hiring manager to ask if I had any other concerns/questions. It has been two months since then and I still haven't heard anything back. The entire time (before I even interviewed) their staff has been painfully slow at responding, if at all.

Associate Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SSL (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Met a hiring manager through a university event and then followed up by attending on site career fair. After career fair received an in person request via HR where I interviewed with about 5 managers. Included a tour of the high bay and a lunch interview. Questions were both technical and behavioral however all technical questions were centered around the work listed on my resume.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult part of [project I had worked on]   1 Answer

Associate Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at SSL (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied through their website and within a few weeks an HR representative called me to do a phone screening interview. The screening consisted of asking when I was graduating, why I wanted to work for SS/L, if I was willing to relocate, etc. At the end of this call a technical phone interview was scheduled with one of the Engineering hiring managers.
    The technical phone interview was about an hour long. I was asked to go over my resume, my projects, work experience (I had over 3 years experience as Co-Op in College), and the rest of the time was spent asking me about specific technical related topics. These topics included Link Budgets, Transmitter/Receiver Design, Signal Processing, Satellites, and Amplifiers. Although I knew most of everything that was asked, the Engineer was patient with me and was willing to explain what I didn't know.
    At the end of the technical phone interview I was told they were impressed with me and would like to bring me in for an on-site interview. This interview was scheduled for about 2 weeks after my phone call. I had to speak with two different HR representatives to plan everything.
    My on-site interview was about 3 hours long and consisted of 4 interviews with different group managers. Each manager asked different technical/behavioral questions. The focus was on my resume and what I had learned. Questions were intended to show I knew what I had worked on and would be able to transfer skills/knowledge to the company. Nothing extremely difficult. At the end of the interview I was told they would get back to me with a decision. As I was driving off the campus I received a phone call from the HR recruiter offering me the job.
    The only negative experience I had was the travel for the on-site interview. I was flown in and out the same day which gave me little time to see the area and get back to the airport on time. If my return flight had not been delayed then I would have missed my flight.
    Once I accepted the offer I was given relocation package details (I was not a local). The HR recruiters were excellent and very helpful. They made the process very quick and easy. I had several other offers at the time and SS/L definitely were the most professional and understanding in my situation.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how a traveling wave tube amplifier works.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I had other offers at the time which made the negotiation process simpler. I was first given a range in which my offer would fall and was asked if I would be ok with it. I said no, due to my experience, and they agreed and came back with an offer that was in my desired range. Very smooth process.

Associate Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SSL (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2009.

Interview

I applied through my school's career site and got an interview with a recruiter on the campus a week later. The recruiter was really nice and we got along pretty well. The only question that he asked me was what do I think is on a satellite.

A week later I was contacted by phone for an onsite interview. HR was generally pretty responsive, but I have heard stories that they never respond... Onsite interview consisted of my future manager, his manager, and his manager's manager. No technical questions were proposed, but we just went over my resume a bit.

I think that my team is different than most and the manager is very protective of the people. I did hear a lot of complaints about politics, even during my interview. The culture is very relaxed and laid back, and I'm pretty sure that I saw a lot of people sleeping when I was walking around the cubicles.

The place itself smells a bit like a retirement - mold and mothballs.

Everyone did seem extremely smart. I felt like everyone that I came across had a Ph.D from Stanford, Berkeley, MIT or CalTech.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is in a satellite?   2 Answers

Lab Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SSL (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Very easy and manager was easy to talk to asked qyestions but more like chatting with a random person that made me relaxed manager treid his best to give me a raise which I appreciate he is honest tried to give the tight pay not underplayed

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at SSL (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Two phone calls with managers and one onsite interview. I was interviewing when I was still in school so most of the questions were behavioral and about my school projects.

Interview went well, the people working for the company are also good.

Assistant Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at SSL (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

All communications with existing managers was well received until I got to the Leader of the business unit. Very strange in a test he gave me. Had 5 different interviews with different managers in the business unit.

Interview Questions

• A test that was thrown at me at the end of the interview. Old school questions. No problem for me but DOES it apply to the position??? NO   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for a higher salary than what they wanted to pay. They came back with a low ball number, I came back with a compromise and it was excepted.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SSL (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I had applied online, then a few weeks later, had an interview on the phone before going in to interview with their recruiter and the manager I would be working under

Interview Questions

• What makes you the perfect fit for this job?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at SSL in December 2016.

Interview

I met my interviewer at a career fair on my college campus, and I had my interview the next day. The interview was very relaxed and I felt completely comfortable. Instead of asking me questions, the interview was formatted more like a discussion. I actually ended up learning a lot throughout the interview.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SSL.

Interview

Phone interview where my resume was reviewed and discussed in detail. Received an email about a month or two later with an offer. HR was very helpful and friendly in getting the paper work and necessities filled out.