STEVENS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LP Interview Questions | Glassdoor

STEVENS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LP Interview Questions

Interviews at STEVENS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LP

2.4

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at STEVENS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LP in September 2017.

Interview

Quick chat on the phone interview, some simple, straightforward questions about resume information and some description about what the job entailed. Technical test involved C++ coding as well as some basic data structure questions.

C++ Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at STEVENS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LP.

Interview

Stevens is a hedge fund run in Radnor, PA. All their hiring is outsourced to Waterfront (wil.com) which is in Toronto, Canada. All the people I talked to were from Toronto.

Step 1 was an HR interview. They asked typical resume and fit questions, going back as far as "why did you choose the college you chose?" and as far forward as "how do you see your career progressing?" Given they have a very flat organization, they are looking for career researchers/programmers for this position. They were very up front with me that everyone must be at the office during working hours (8-5) but that very few people were there past 5 as they stressed a strong work/life balance.

Step 2 was an online exam. The exam was 2 hours and 4 questions. The first 3 questions were relatively straightforward. The focus is on use of C++ STL. Question 4 was a little harder in that you had to construct a simple C++ class with a few minor twists. I was able to progress in the interview process even though my answer to Question 4 was incomplete (some correct, some too slow). Unlike most companies that let you choose your language, the test must be done in C++. They are very keen to get experienced C++ developers and not C or Java or Python developers.

Step 3 was a technical interview. There was some light discussion on programming (including reviewing what I didn't finish from the exam), but the focus was a few probability and game theory questions. The questions involved a lot of discussion to gauge how comfortable you are talking about these topics.

Step 4 is an in person technical interview but in lieu of flying to Toronto they conducted it over Skype. This interview was with another engineer and lasted 1hr. My background is with parallel programming and numerical analysis, but they focused on numerical analysis and unfortunately barely touched on parallel programming. They asked if I had developed any strategies using BLAS (basic linear algebra subroutines) from C++ code (which I hadn't done). We had a long discussion about how the backslash operator in Matlab works. He asked some in depth linear algebra questions like how to test for positive definiteness to see if Cholesky won't work. Then we talked some about his research interests.

Note: you might need a passport if you're going to interview in person! Even if you live near Radnor like I do.

Interview Questions

• You are instructed to buy a used car. There is an unlimited supply of sellers, but you do not know what the price range of cars should be. What strategy would you use to determine the best price? If you offered a low price, and the seller accepted, what would you think about the car you bought (is there something wrong with it because it was so cheap)?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at STEVENS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LP (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2018.

Interview

I had a hackerrank and only passed 4/5 questions then got a phone call which I did bad on and got rejected. The skype call was not too difficult but I got nervous and answered an easy probability question wrong.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at STEVENS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LP in February 2017.

Interview

very general question about background, no technical stuff. Was informed to take a online coding test later, which wasn't that difficult. Didn't hear them back since them and got notified for declining for no reason.

Quantitative Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at STEVENS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LP in March 2015.

Interview

Apply online, got a phone call within a week. The first round is a phone interview about your background. Questions are quite standard, like what have you done in your graduate program, how does it help you to work as a quantitative analyst. Then second round is a 2 hours online test for 4 questions: mathematics, statistics, finance and programming. They're not very hard. The statistics question is actually an open question, it needs you to explain how you want to solve it, instead of just typing a number as the result. The third round is a phone interview with probabilities and brain teasers. I was not prepared very well for the probabilities. So the interviewer finished it earlier than expected. Could do better if I had some time to prepare for those interview questions.

Interview Questions

• You have a bet. There is half probability to get $1.55, and half probability to get $0.55. It cost $1 to play. Will you play it? Will you bet all of your wealth on it? Will you play 100 times in a row with all of your wealth?   3 Answers

Quantitative Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayne, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at STEVENS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LP (Wayne, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

I got a phone interview about two weeks after submitting my resume. The interviewer first introduced the program in the start of the call. Then he asked me some questions about my resume and the programming skills I have.

Interview Questions

• What programming languages are you using to do your projects?   Answer Question

Senior C++ Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englishtown, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at STEVENS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LP (Englishtown, NJ) in March 2017.

Interview

Very biased and racially charged hiring managers, who're keeping talented people out of company even after passing written test through HackerRank. Looks like management is at total mercy of technical managers, who're simply making sure that no talented candidate comes in company and threat their job.

Interview Questions

• Very simply question of inserting latest 5000 records in container along with timestamp and retrieve them as needed and discard which are older then 5000.   4 Answers

Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at STEVENS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LP.

Interview

I applied online after speaking with them briefly at the career fair. They were really interested in my C++ skills. After applying online, I heard back from them and scheduled a non-technical phone interview for around a week later.

During the interview, they asked me questions regarding my academic background (why did you choose your major), what areas of finance/fintech are you interested in, etc. Then they asked about specifics on my resume, like my work experience as well as my coding experience in C++.

I got my rejection from them 6 days later. I wish they did a technical screening first, like a coding challenge or something, like every other company but oh well. I guess just be sure to confidently speak on the stuff you put on your resume and really convey your expertise and interest in the field.

Senior C++ Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Radnor, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at STEVENS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LP (Radnor, PA) in November 2014.

Interview

First had a phone screen by recruiter/HR - then two hour programming test - then phone interview by "techs" - then face-to-face interview. They don't tell you until late that it's a 50-hr minimum workweek (7am-5pm) and then requires a two-hour coding test; which I don't appreciate (be up front about it and save everybody the time, please).

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at STEVENS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT LP.

Interview

I applied online and was replied the day after to take a telephone interview. It's basic behavioral questions like what your past experiences in C/C++ are and why you choose the school that you are currently attending. Didn't ask detailed questions in projects I did.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose your undergraduate program that you attended   Answer Question