Salsify Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Salsify Interview Questions

Interviews at Salsify

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Salsify (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

I found the position on Hacker News and reached out. I was interested in data science, but they were very flexible and decided to interview me for a SWE position on the data analytics team.
    For the first round, I had a quick phone call with the hiring manager and head of engineering. I was asked a data science question and a standard swe question.
    I then had an on-site interview, and was asked to send over some code I was proud of to go over for the interview. During the on-site, I met with the VP of engineering, the guy who would be my boss, the hiring manager, the manager of engineering, and another software engineer. The first, second, and last interviews involved a mix of data science and software engineering questions.
    A few days later, they called me and gave me an offer (which I accepted).
    Overall, I was very happy with the process and everyone I met!

Interview Questions

• I was asked some complicated questions about the code I submitted - I would recommend preparing well for this!   Answer Question

Salsify Response

Jul 30, 2018 – Director of Talent

Thanks for the feedback - we're excited to have you on the team!! - Allison, Director of Talent

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salsify (Boston, MA).

Interview

Included a 20-30 minute call with an internal HR recruiter who was very helpful. The recruiter was very clear about the upcoming interview process, salary opportunities, and could give insight into the role. Salary would be 120,000-130,000 with benefits and the final number of the salary being decided based on skill identified from the interviews.

Second round included a 30 minute phone call with the team manager who would be an engineer working on the team. The call included a question on how to set up an API. Overall the phone call was conversational and easy going.

The final round interview included meeting for 3 hours on-site with the product manager of the team, 2 engineers from another team, 2 engineers from another team, the team manager (from the second call), and the internal HR recruiter. The portion with the product manager was very conversational and a lot about the project for the role. The next portion with 2 engineers included a question about how to develop a web crawler to check the health of a website. The following portion included a question about how to develop a multi player game.

Overall the interview process was very fair. The HR recruiter met last with me and was focused on how feedback about the interview process. The recruiter also asked for feedback when informing the team was moving forward with another candidate. Finally the recruiter even offered to refer me to another company that Salsify trades candidates with. Very professional company that seems like it would be great to work for.

Interview Questions

• Develop an API to accommodate searching 3 columns in a UI.   Answer Question
    • Write pseudocode for a web crawler to check the health of a website.   Answer Question
    • Design an API for a multiplayer game along with an engineer product owner.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Salsify (Boston, MA) in April 2019.

Interview

I skipped the initial phone screen due to alumn referral and started with a call with the project manager, who told me about what their team did and asked about my interests. Soon after, I had a remote coding interview with two engineers.

Some weeks after (there was a little logistical work due to the original team filling its position and sending me to another hiring team), I was invited onsite for a series of in-person interviews. I funded my own ride to Boston since I live in-state.

Onsite, I spoke with engineers from the team and the new project manager. I was first asked to do a typical whiteboarding exercise. Then a member of the UI team did a pseudo-collaborative design question with me. The final engineer gave me a blended design and back end question. I then spoke with the project manager about what their team did and answered some behavioral questions. Finally, the recruiter wrapped things up and gave me a timeline. I very much enjoyed this interview process, as I could tell that when I came onsite, the team had prepared questions that catered to my interest in design.

Interview Questions

• So we have a webpage that has a bunch of urls on it. We can follow any url on that page and get to another webpage that also has urls on it. We'd like to build a comprehensive list of webpages that are somehow connected to that starting page. How would you do it?   Answer Question
    • Let's say we've got an interface and we want to put widgets on it in rows. How would you represent that on the back end?

How would you group them in columns?

How could you group them in clusters?

Let's say we go crazy and want to be able to do rows, columns, and clusters in any combination we want.

How could we do drag and drop widgets that can overlap?   Answer Question
    • Say you want to make a number pad API. Sometimes you want it to be a calculator, so you need to have a decimal point show up, and other times you want it to be a phone dial, so you need dashes and parentheses for formatting. But it's open source and you want users to also be able to customize however they want and add their own symbols if, say, they want to have monetary symbols. How would you do it? How can you distinguish between all these different types on the back end?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Salsify (Boston, MA) in March 2018.

Interview

I went in for a technical interview which was comprised of three 45-60 min sections, each with a different member of the Salsify team. The first section involved a conversation about what Salsify does; this was more to teach me about it and I was not expected to know much before hand. The second section was a whiteboard coding problem. The third section was a coding problem completed on a computer of their's.

Interview Questions

• In your path, do your interests lie more in the software and code or in entrepreneurship ?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Salsify.

Interview

Was contacted via email first, then brought in for a round of in-person interviews with the larger, senior marketing team. Things felt like they went well -- my potential supervisor mentioned bringing me back in to meet the CMO -- but I was given a canned response after trying to follow up with HR a week later about how the company picked other candidates. One person also asked those awful corporate interview questions. "What are 5 things you could do with a stapler?" The people here seemed great, but their interview process was a little strange. Oh well, things worked out for the best!

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Salsify (Boston, MA) in August 2017.

Interview

Long and Drawn out. Over several weeks, often met with same people or not with person initially prepped for. in climate of today, Company seems racist only interested in WASPs. Went through the final round, and not once was the process the way it was presented & unclear.

Salsify Response

Aug 21, 2017 – Director of Talent

I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience and particularly sad that you think Salsify is a place that does not care about diversity. We are very aware of the gap in diversity in tech and we

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Salsify (Boston, MA) in January 2019.

Interview

I was recruited directly via an engineering manager. I did a coding submission first, and about a couple days later was scheduled with an onsite interview - a 4 hour affair spanning multiple interview sessions. A couple interviewers asked me if I needed water or a bathroom break, which was nice, but I held my own. One part was more behavioral, the rest technical. Although the interview was tough, the technical questions really felt like collaborative problems where it was a constant back and forth conversation, adding additional requirements, etc. I really enjoyed thinking about the solutions, and there wasn't too much coding.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Salsify (Boston, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

2 Phone interviews. One onsite with 3 different people. One onsite that was a role play presentation of slide deck. I thought they did a good job and the CEO was involved.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Salsify (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

The first meeting was a casual meeting. I think they were trying to determine a good cultural fit. Rest of interview process provided opportunity to interface with a number of roles and leadership.

Interview Questions

• What is your strategy for sales and approaching a marketplace?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Salsify (Boston, MA) in January 2016.

Interview

Started with a phone screen by human resources, then face to face interview onsite with the hiring manager in Boston, then presentation to a team that was pretty stressful but the key to getting the gig.

Interview Questions

• Average deal size, sales cycle, quota, performance, key stakeholders, and some deal specifics.   Answer Question