Scottish American Insurance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Scottish American Insurance

2.0

Underwriting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tustin, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Scottish American Insurance (Tustin, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Met with the Commercial Lines Producer at the Tustin location. I walked in and was greeted and escorted to the conference room. The interview lasted about 30-45 minutes. She was very detailed about the position I was applying for and informing me of the every day job duties. I appreciated the fact that I was able to ask any question about the company and it's day to day operations. She mentioned they are "non-traditional" environment where they allow their employees to grow as they desire. Overall my interview experience went very well.

Interview Questions

• She asked me if I was able to work independently.   1 Answer

Underwriting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scottish American Insurance (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The process was very smooth. Very good communication between the lady who interviewed me. She was always prompt in responses and always very friendly. Definitely seemed to get to know me more than traditional interview.

Interview Questions

• What are some of my interests and hobbies?   1 Answer

Assistant Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Scottish American Insurance (Westlake Village, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

I was initially recruited by a prior co-worker who wanted to discuss an opening at Scottish American for an Assistant Underwriter. After telling me about the company and what they stand for, I decided to go on an interview for the job. After I set up my appointment, I was personally called by the owner (he calls himself the Chief Gopher) to discuss what the company was about, and who I was and why I was interested. I have to admit, coming from a big company, I found it very refreshing to speak to an owner. The interview itself was professional and formal.

Interview Questions

• One big question they have is one of work ethic. It was very clear up front that there are NO managers/management. While this offers great freedom, they wanted to make sure that I understood that meant I needed to be a self-starter.   Answer Question

Sales/Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Scottish American Insurance (Dallas, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

My interview took place on the golf course. Over the course of nine holes of golf, little did I know that I was essentially interviewing for my next job at the time. It was standard golf course talk but they were getting to know exactly the type of person I was as well as my work ethic. Weeks later I was contacted and invited to a company social event and was introduced to other members of the organization who were all equally inviting and friendly. Within a week, I was made an offer and I accepted solely based on the relationships I had built in the previous weeks.

Interview Questions

• Do you enjoy the work that you are currently doing?   1 Answer

Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scottish American Insurance (Brooklyn, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

After submitting your resume you get a phone call and then a Google Hangout interview. I applied out of state so I could not do an in person interview. Other people here did have to go through the in person interview.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you were offended?   1 Answer

Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tustin, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Scottish American Insurance (Tustin, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

The job was posted in LinkedIn. The communication prior was very professional. However, once arriving to the interview it was very odd. I opened the door and walked right into a 'bullpen' area without reception, although threre was a ping pong table. Feeling so awkward and asking a room of 20 people where I was supposed to be I was assured I was in the right place. The interview was horrible. The CFO was disconnected and completly distracted. He spent more time picking at the sore on his arm than listening to the questions I was answering. He abruptly ended his interview and passed me on to a girl who looked like she should have been at the gym. She said she had been sick so she did not feel like dressing up.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing difficult asked, the whole interview was a waste of time.   1 Answer

Mail Room Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Staten Island, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Scottish American Insurance (Staten Island, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

I was nervous at first, but after sitting down with them, it was less intense. I thought it would be scary like those offices in Manhattan where they ask you questions like "why should I hire you?" or "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" But it was nothing like that. They were very friendly and the interview felt like a conversation instead. They were also very flexible and understanding about my working hours which was a great relief.

Interview Questions

• Where'd you go to school? What Major? How's your commute here? Do you drive? Etc.   Answer Question

Underwrter Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scottish American Insurance (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

Not professional, organized, or planned out very well. They try and hide that its a start-up. The office is the size of a baseball dugout. It's all one room, no desks, no cubicles, just computers along the edges with stools. When I walked in I noticed everyone was standing despite having stools. There were two small dogs that ran up to me. I was amused at first and thought its cool until one dog kept jumping on me during the interview. It appeared to me a bit of a scam. I'm just being honest. Whenever I see lack of furniture and it looks like they can just throw everything they own into a box and run out - it usually means BEWARE. Sorry but I wanted to share this in case anyone else goes. They advertise "underwriting assistant" but then just tell you that its a sales job. I left thinking if they can't afford to buy desks then how can I even expect them to pay me. During the entire interview everyone had a look on their face like, "I hope he believes us." Yes, its that bad!

Insurance Underwriter Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Scottish American Insurance (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

I interviewed first with them via skype and a second interview in the office. The interview was in their brooklyn office, two very calm and adorable dogs greeted me when I came to the office. I was interviewed by two people. They put me at ease and were extremely friendly. It felt like they were trying to get to know me and not just asking your standard interview questions. They were very informative to me about what they were all about and what they were looking for.