Scribe Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Scribe Media Interview Questions

Interviews at Scribe Media

3.5

Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Scribe Media in February 2017.

Interview

This entire process was a real waste of my time. First, I had to rewrite an excerpt of a book, which took quite a while because I was trying to do a good job.

Then, I was invited to suffer through a 45-minute personality assessment test where I informed BIAB of the nuances of my personality and my fitness for the position through the selection of 3D boxes.

By this point, I still was not deemed valuable enough for a real interview, so I had to record myself doing a one-way interview. I agree with the other poster who mentioned that this was a dehumanizing experience.

Next, the real interview. The auto-response email told me that as soon as I chose a time on the rep's calendar, I would be forwarded a link I would need for the interview. I never received the link. I emailed BIAB's rep several times, and never received a response. After suddenly getting the flu the day prior to the interview (and by this point, I still had not received the interview link or a response), I tried reaching out to the rep. numerous times. I didn't hear back. I canceled the initial time and rescheduled on her online calendar, emailed her once or twice to inform her of the new time and ask for a confirmation, and still didn't hear back. A few days later, when it was time for the interview, the BIAB rep. wasn't there. She finally showed up late and told me she was busy and wanted to do it another time. Okay.

Finally, the interview. It was bland and quick, and she seemed to be in a hurry to go. She told me I'd hear back within one week. Over a week had passed with no response. Because of all the horrible reviews left on here--and because of my experiences thus far with a disorganized rep who fails to communicate effectively--I assumed I would not hear anything. I wrote, stating that I would have appreciated a thank you email for all the time I had invested in this process. The BIAB rep. responded with a snarky email about how I shouldn't make assumptions and that she had not made her decision yet. Within a day or two, she responded that I didn't make it. Of course. My informed assumption is that she had already decided by the time I had written her, but was incensed that someone had dared to question her inability to keep on top of her work.

If this BIAB rep. and the interview process is representative of one's experience working at BIAB, then I am content that I don't have to work daily in a highly disorganized company with condescending colleagues.

Interview Questions

Scribe Media Response

Nov 29, 2017 – Co-Founder

This is why we love Glassdoor--we would never have known something like this happened without this feedback.

First off, if even half of what you say is true, then we owe you an apology. There... More

Department Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Scribe Media (Austin, TX) in February 2019.

Interview

First I filled out 3 open ended questions: describe my job history, why scribe, and whats something you've learned without it being for a job or school

then they sent me an invitation to answer 3 more questions, this time recorded.

2 days later, I got an email saying they had hired someone else and that I could apply for other jobs. When I emailed asking for tips they explained to me their process takes months and I was behind other applicants. That's fine- I would have appreciated them pulling down the job opening if ther email was true that they had thousands of applicants. I spent a lot of time on this application just to be told "sorry be quicker".

Scribe seems like a dream and I hope to work for them some day, for now though I will have to wish from my current job.

Interview Questions

• When looking at current processes what information do you look for? How do you identify problems and solutions?   Answer Question

Operations Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scribe Media.

Interview

It's a pretty neat funnel.

Step 1
    Fill out their application which can range from engaging function related questions to not so related questions. Wait 2 weeks.

Step 2
    If you made it to Round 2, there's another set of written questions. Some are pretty specific regarding the potential functions, and others are designed to focus more on showing thought process. Wait 2 weeks

Step 3
    One way video time. They'll send you another handful of questions, and you will record a one minute answer. This is pretty tough because some of the questions have complex and nuanced answers, and you get to decide what's important. Again, part of the funnel. It's more about thought process and communication. Wait 2 weeks

Step 4
    Skype Interview. It was pleasant enough. The questions asked by them were pretty standard at first, but became more specific. I asked some pretty pointed questions, and they were not afraid to answer. I never felt like there was a dodge during the skype interview. While the outcome is ultimately disappointing in my case, the interview was engaging. When one looks at the number of applicants per position, that's not an easy task.

Personal Opinion (take it for what it is):
    If you want to make a run at joining The Tribe, go for it. Show them your face. Show them your culture. See what happens.

In the end, I didn't get an offer for the Operations Coordinator, but was referred to apply for an upcoming marketing coordinator role. With years of running a marketing agency, I was pretty excited. Didn't even make it out of the first round hehe. Don't try to think about it too hard. Just go for it.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a problem you solved at work without being asked.   Answer Question
    • If a project manager asks you a question and you don't know the answer, how will you find the solution?   Answer Question
    • As you analyze current processes, what information do you look at? How do you identify problems and solutions?   Answer Question

Publisher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scribe Media in January 2017.

Interview

Applying at Book In A Box has seriously been one of the most exciting experiences I have ever encounteredI never sat down and waited. With each step of the process I felt “get out of your seat” challenged. So, if you are lucky enough to get a call back, throw out what you think you know.

The first step was to answer questions that are specific to what the job entails. It provides proof that you know what the hell you are doing and your skills are not bull. And, this was the easiest step.

I was lucky enough to make it to the second round. You see, I've applied four times before. So this shocking and awesome! This step involved recording a video of yourself answering more specific questions and job scenarios. I believe they wanted to take a look at how you handle yourself when communicating to others and your overall demeanor. Proof you're not an just trying to be impressive.This was extremely frustrating to me. I spent hours trying to perfect my makeup, hair, lighting, facial expressions, etc. But I LOVED it!

Thank god I made it to the next round! I had the pleasure of interviewing with BIAB's Director of People, Meghan. This was another first for me. Skype interview. What? Again, hair...makeup, lighting. It was a very pleasant interview. It was a conversation with a good friend, really. We discussed my background, how I handled past scenarios in the workplace, and I had the opportunity to ask questions. My hair, makeup, lighting obsession dissolved quickly.

Again, I was lucky enough to go to the final three rounds which involved a phone call from President & CEO, JT (I strongly recommend reading his book, a great story); and Skype interviews with a tribe member, Dan (great guy) who currently holds the Publisher position AND Tucker Max himself! I admit I was nervous, particularly with Tucker. These were not easy feats. You really have to be on your game. We discussed their cultural doc (PLEASE READ), my motivation to apply, and more "who are you" and "why should we hire you questions."

I did not get an offer. But, I am impressed with the process and their tenacity to hire the best people to join their tribe. It's far from an interrogation that most of us experience at traditional interviews. It was difficult for me to deprogram from that and try to shine a light on who I really am. These people are normal professionals who are passionate about BIAB. If you met them at a house party or on a first date, you'd talk for hours! So my advice to myself and others is to leave your egos at the door, research, research, research and somehow be yourself. Break away from what you think they might want to hear. I look forward to the next round.

Interview Questions

• Lastly, hustle is a crucial trait we're looking for with this role, and we want to hear about your goals, how we can help you reach them, and how you can help us reach ours. Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Scribe Media (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Wacky. I applied on-line and made it through the first step where you had to write an email to an author client about a delay in his or her manuscript. The second step was an on-line personality/IQ test (Berke) that was fun in some respects. There were several parts where you had to type--writing a story, etc. and it was impossible to go back and edit what you'd written. Ridiculous, and a waste of time. So was the lego spatial test. None of these seemed to have any true relationship to how you'd perform as a publishing. Hey, it's their company and they can winnow their candidates in any way they want, but the whole experience was pretty bizarre. It would have been nice to know if they'd actually looked at my resume and seen my background and experience.

Interview Questions

• Something about how you'd react if you circled around Saturn in a space station.
      WHATEVER!   Answer Question

Publisher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scribe Media in September 2016.

Interview

You get a link to respond to an email stating some bad news. Then you have to take a huge test. Looks like an IQ test. I wasn't sure what all that had to do with being an editor.

Publisher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scribe Media in September 2016.

Interview

You're first asked to provide a sample email to be sent to an author whose manuscript delivery will be delayed 2 weeks, then there's a personality assessment of approx. 1 hr.

Interview Questions

• Q. The lego block comparison challenge left a lot to be desired. To think that I might not be selected because of this is disheartening.   Answer Question

Publisher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scribe Media.

Interview

I applied through their website, and after 2 weeks I received an email saying I was selected for an interview, which turned out to be a one-way interview where I answered 4 or 5 general and timed questions. I made it through that, then 2 weeks later did a Skype interview with HR. The HR rep (who I could SEE, exhibited zero interest in my questions, my answers, etc.) but gave me a snotty answer when I asked how my qualifications compared with other candidates' skills. "You're speaking to me, aren't you?" I had doubts about joining this company after reading things about it online. If you want to be shocked, just read about the behavior of its co-founder, Tucker Max, who sounds like a real doozy. Yes, he's the guy who referred to his own baby in an interview as "something I made from my sperm." Classy.

Interview Questions

• What article/story do you have the most regrets about and why   Answer Question

Scribe Media Response

Nov 29, 2017 – Co-Founder

First things first - thanks so much for your honesty. We value your honest feedback, and see it as an opportunity to look at our hiring process and possibly improve it.

Here’s some context that... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barry, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scribe Media (Barry, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

After the application process, which required answering additional questions, I was offered the opportunity to move to the next round. This round required recording yourself answering questions. I was then moved on to a phone interview, but they filled the position before my phone interview time.

Interview Questions

• One of the application questions asked if you were unable to deliver in the timeframe required how would you communicate that to your client in an email.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scribe Media (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

After making it through a few rounds, BIAB wrote to me and said they had filled their positions, but sent an incredibly thoughtful note about how, with my permission, I'd be on their interview list when the position opens next year, and they'd stand by their interest in me as a candidate. They treated me with respect, they communicated with me each step of the process, and thanked me for the time I'd invested in developing a relationship with them. It made me feel like an actual human being, not a coin in the job market slot machine lottery. Thanks everyone!