ShipStation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ShipStation (Austin, TX) in April 2018.

Interview

Weird. No HR and they take you out for lunch...not sure why. Why would I want to eat something and talk in front of a potential employer? What so they think? That they buy me food so I'd be more into working there.
    Couple of guys asking questions.
    Felt like a bro-coding environment.

Interview Questions

• Recent experience and describing current job   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ShipStation (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

phone screen followed by in-person technical interview with a few developers and meeting with the manager.

Phone screen was standard with some canned technical questions. In person interview asked many of the same (identical) technical questions again. Most of the interview was whiteboarding stuff like fizzbuzz and finding palindromes from strings.

Everyone was friendly and their office was pretty nice, but it felt like the on site interview was a pop quiz. They didn't seem to care about much on my resume once I passed the phone screen - many questions were duplicated from the phone screening, it seemed like they just ask everyone the same thing.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ShipStation (Austin, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

Interview process was super easy, applied and got a call to schedule an interview the next day. Had my interview that week, and they offered me the job by phone call an hour afterwards.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ShipStation in March 2018.

Interview

Phone Interview seemed to go very well - Hiring Manager said she would like to have me come onto their campus for a second interview and meet the team I'd be working with, but never called me back and ignored all my calls and emails trying to follow up. Very unprofessional.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ShipStation (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

There was a phone screen with a higher up of the development team. The phone screen was pretty dry and I felt like I was just a number so I should have been suspicious then. He later set me up for on site interview but only emailed me a day/time with no other info. I had to email back and ask what the address of where I was going to interview was(sure I can look up company address online but you never know). This was followed by an on site interview in which two developers came into the room together and asked me more about my technical background. They hardly asked any questions of my previous experience and were more about getting on to asking the technical questions so I had to volunteer it along the way. I was asked about four SQL and db related questions even after I had just mentioned this is an area I have very limited experience with. They had a laptop hooked up to the screen and I could see them scrolling through a sheet of many questions they had prepared, many of them, non-db like but they chose all the db questions anyway. The higher up came in at the end and just sat there somewhat aloof and just said something to the effect of 'Well that's it. If you have anything else let me know otherwise were done'. I didn't hear back from them and so I finally emailed about a week later to which I was told he thought someone had already gotten back with me and that I did not have enough .NET experience. This was extremely clear from my resume showing I hadn't worked with .NET for over three years and had only months of experience of web development in .NET. It was also obvious I did not have too much experience with any relational db work. If somehow they missed that from my resume, the first phone screen could have cleared this up and would have saved us both time.
    A few other things I noticed while I was there, the building is very loud as soon as you walk in. You can tell they have a lot of people crammed in there and are in dire need of a bigger office. I asked about the parking situation and they did admit they have to fight for parking with the companies next door. When I asked about work flexibility such as the ability to do some of the work from home I was basically told you have to be in office.

Interview Questions

• One simple db question such as explain different types of joins and the rest more complex db such as illustrate on whiteboard the tables you would need given a problem   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ShipStation.

Interview

Received an email about a week after replying asking me to answer two questions. One of them was how to assemble a PB&J. The day after I finished the questionnaire I received a follow-up email asking to schedule a phone interview in the next day or two. I reply with times, followed-up the next day when I didn't hear and then followed-up again after the two days. I never heard anything back from the company. Easily the worst hiring experience I have ever had with a company. Unfortunate considering I like their product.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ShipStation.

Interview

after i applied online, i received an email asking me to answer a question, with due date of 3 days. i was out of state so this was terrible timing, but i responded with a thorough answer. over a week had passed and i didn't hear back so i emailed them inquiring. they replied that they were still reviewing all the answers. at that point i proceeded to ask when i should expect to hear back. i was honest and said i have some pending offers so having a time frame would really help me out. he simply responded that there is no time frame he could provide.

i've never had an interview process where i was told they do not know when they will get back to me. and on top of that, i was rushed to provide an answer within 3 days so i thought i would be given the same courtesy. as any unemployed person can sympathize, you want to start working as quickly as possible. this doesnt feel like an employer who cares about its employees. i feel like there is a lack of professionalism and compassion here, or "dry" (as other reviewers have put it).

Interview Questions

• Testing hypotheses can be accomplished in several ways such as building models, conducting "what-if" analysis or conducting experiments. Tell me about any experiences you have had in conducting "what-if" analyses.   Answer Question

Customer Support Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ShipStation.

Interview

Fun interview and got the job. Cant really be upset about that. Not sure how new process goes though. It could be different at this point due to changes in office

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ShipStation (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Quick, non personable. They were very interested if I ever applied with their competitors. Had to do a survey that took 3 hours at an offsite location then 3 phone interviews and finally an in person.

QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ShipStation (Austin, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online and I had someone get back to me to set up a phone interview. The day of the phone interview I waited for the call but I never got one. I emailed the recruiter but no reply for 2 days. Finally, she sets up another phone interview and it goes very well. I seem to fit the needs for the role and she said she would follow up in a week to see if there would be another interview.

3 weeks go by without a word. I tried reaching out through email, by calling the phone number she called me on, and through their Facebook page. After giving up that I would ever hear back, she then emails me back to set up a 2-hour interview with her, managers over the department, the QA team, and the Project Manager. They also gave me a QA homework assignment to go over and bring with me to the interview.

The interview lasts about an hour and 30 minutes. Only the recruiter and two other QA Analysts show up for the interview. I could tell they were very unprepared for the interview. The majority of the time, they talked about unrelated topics. They came up with questions on the fly. They did not take notes of my answers to the questions. I figured that was a good sign. Maybe, they were not considering anyone else for the position and would not need to compare my answers.

Eventually, someone asks me about the test plan I prepared the day before. I go over the test plan with them and one reply was "That's nice. I should really look at that software. It's been a long time." They didn't have any feedback about the assignment I prepared.

After the interview was over, I was told I would hear back by the end of the week about whether I got the job and they would set up a lunch for me to meet the entire QA team. If I did not hear back I was to "bug [the recruiter]" until she replied to me.

I email the recruiter at the end of the week hopeful I got the job. She did email me back thanking me for participating in the "phone interview process." She also went on to say that my qualifications and experience are not a mutual fit for the QA role.

I have had many job interviews and this one is the worst I've ever experienced. I don't understand how people can be so terrible to drag me through a process when they clearly did not want me.

Interview Questions

• Only asked about my background and what I was doing at my current job.   Answer Question