Shmoop Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 15, 2017

2.4

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Shmoop (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

The worst interview process I have ever been a part of.

After applying for the position, a recruiter from LimeRecruits reached out to me.
    Did initial phone screening, spoke to CEO, and was told that I should be interviewing with a technical member of their team.

After two weeks of me reaching out to the recruiter from LimeRecruits, I was finally told that I would be invited in for an interview to meet the engineers. Horribly enough, not three days later, I got an email back saying that I was not going to be chosen to move forward.

1. Was never given a technical interview
    2. Calls with CEO and Recruiter were always late or rescheduled

Overall unorganized. Misleading recruiter. Thumbs down.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with JavaScript?   1 Answer

Content Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shmoop.

Interview

The interview was smooth. No unexpected questions. Job was offered, but the contract was unexpected.

Writer must agree to sue anyone that Shmoop believes violated the rights signed over to Shmoop. I would have been ok with Shmoop sueing, but not me. Probably an unlikely event, but the writer is contractually obligated to sue if Shmoop wants them to. Writer must "allow" Shmoop to represent them, but I did not see thst Shmoop was obligated to represent the writer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Was offered the position, then sent contract for review.

Video Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bridgman, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shmoop (Bridgman, MI) in December 2015.

Interview

After sending in my demo reel and application, I was given a test assignment: edit/animate a short video to one of several sound clips. After completing it (I wasn't given a specific deadline, but I tried to get it in a week or so), I sent it in alongside a series of questions. After waiting about a day or so, I was offered the job and accepted via online contract.

Interview Questions

• Would you prefer to work in-house or remote?   1 Answer

Test Prep Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shmoop (Provo, UT) in October 2015.

Interview

It was my first Skype interview and everything went smoothly. I felt comfortable and it started out pretty conversational. We talked about remote hours and learned about each other's needs.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Shmoop.

Interview

Interview process took about 3-4 weeks. the first was a phone interview with a recruiter then a phone interview with management. I came in for an in person interview and was offered a position a few weeks later. Very lengthy process and little communication in between.

Video Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Shmoop (Tallahassee, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

Sent them my resume and cover letter. Got a very fast reply asking if I would like to take a "animation test."(kind of their remote interview to their video editor.) They sent me the materials with a question sheet and asked me to email all things back within the following week. I finished the test early and sent it back. Then got their feedback the following Thursday said they were impressed by my work, but would not forward my application. I don't know what I did wrong.

Interview Questions

• What is your proficiency in the following programs: (1-10) FCP/Avid/Premiere:   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shmoop (Anaheim, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Called in to see if the position was still open after it had been on Indeed for more than 30 days. Was offered an in person interview with an Account Executive for the next week. Walked into their office and saw that it was an open and almost empty space with a few tables in the center where the sales representatives worked off their laptops. There was a small private office in the corner where I had my interview. I was not really asked many questions, just went over my resume. I was told that I was the only person interviewing for the job at the time since previous applicants did not work out. I got a call that day for another interview 2 days later with the VP of sales. During this interview, I was asked questions about my personality, how I would handle cold-calling, and basically told that they wanted to get a feel for how I worked. I was told that we would speak of compensation some time in the next week (you get hired as an independent contractor and depending on how you do, get hired as a W-2 employee within 6 months to 1 year, no benefits however), I was asked when I preferred my starting day to be, and was told that if my references check out, that we would move onto the next steps (it was implied that I would be hired and on my end I really thought I was going to be). Because I came in from out of town and was looking to move back into the area a few weeks later, I called the next week and asked if they had gotten a chance to contact my references. I was told that they had not had the chance to do so but to come in that Thursday ready to do a sales pitch. Thursday came, and 3 hours before my scheduled sales pitch, the VP of sales calls me to cancel because he wanted me to do a sales pitch with someone who is currently in meetings in Colorado and would not be able to make it. At this point, I asked what the timeline was and when I could possibly get an offer (because it had already been implied that I would have the job and they knew I wanted to secure it before I left) and I was told "after the sales pitch we will decide if we want to hire you"… then I was told that I would be contacted the next week after I left to do a Skype interview or meet with one of the Sales Representatives in my area to do the sales pitch. It has been two weeks since then, I have called twice to reschedule and my calls have not been returned. I am assuming I am no longer being considered. I really do not appreciate the implications that were made, or a cancelled interview that was never rescheduled. At this point, if the company decided to call me, I would not want to work for them because the experience speaks volumes of how the company is managed. I would not recommend them to any of the school districts that I am associated with.

Interview Questions

• If given just the name of a school district, what type of research would you do before making a cold call?   Answer Question

Standardized Test Prep Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Shmoop in March 2015.

Interview

Spoke briefly over email before completing an sample edit. Later had a Skype interview that seemed to be mostly a formality. Interview was largely about looking to see if what I was looking for and what the job was were in alignment (they weren't, though they sill offered me the position)

Author Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Shmoop in September 2014.

Interview

This company goes out of its way to appear "hip" and "fun," so after asking you to write a "witty" cover letter and resume, I was asked to provide a writing sample. I have two MAs and the topic they wanted me to write on was insanely broad: "religious studies." If you look over the site, you'll notice they have a lot on the Bible (much of which indicates the site caters to Christians, as several of the articles allude to it being true and superior), and zero on any other religion. When I asked them if they wanted me to write about the field or a certain religion or a religious event, they responded that any of that would be fine and gave me a two page, double spaced, limit.

So, after spending some time mulling over what could be written in a "fun" voice that would likely not detract from their "yay, Christianity!" motif, I composed a shortened version of a lesson. Three weeks later, I wrote them back, because they keep advertising open positions for my other degree, and they said they didn't have a spot for me. Complete waste of my time, for real.

Interview Questions

• The broadness of their requested writing sample and that they, at no point, indicate compensation.   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shmoop (Mountain View, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

I met with two editors and had what felt like an informal interview. They wanted to know about my past and the type of role I was interested in. I felt very comfortable throughout the interview, and it was very conversational. I left feeling confident about my chances, especially since my interviewers told me they were considering hiring for other positions and were not sure how they were going to handle hiring to meet their team's needs, as in there might be multiple positions at various levels. They also seemed unwilling to discuss compensation, simply stating that they were a startup -- a comment I took to mean that the salary would be low/not competitive. Late Sunday night a week and a half later, I got an email saying they had an unexpected number of highly qualified candidates and would not be hiring me.