Simon & Schuster Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.4

Sort:

Contracts Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Got an email the same day I applied. Had to schedule the interview twice because the employer's schedule changed within the hour of my reply. Met with department heads for about an hour and then was on my way.

Staff Accountant Interview

Interview

Position was found through a recruiter. Met with three individuals - supervisor, hiring manager and HR. They asked basic questions about work history and why I was searching for a new employment opportunity. Provided an opportunity for me to ask questions about the job and the opportunity. Overall the process was pretty straighforward and typical.

Interview Questions

• The hiring manager noted my employer at the time and asked me if I knew a particular person at the company. The question itself wasn't as alarming as the fact that co-workers learned of my interview through the hiring manager sharing with that individual.   Answer Question

Did not feel the opportunity was a good fit for me after learning more about the position.

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster (Parsippany, NJ) in February 2016.

Interview

After talking over the phone with an HR manager, I was invited to an interview. Here I met with an AP manager and the person in charge of accounting services. The interview went well and was brought in for a second round. Here I got to meet the controller and was asked technical questions in a mini case study like scenario. The same day I was called with an offer, which I certainly accepted as it's an industry I was really interested in. Overall I liked my interview experience at S&S.

Interview Questions

• What can you do with excel?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied some time in January through my University's career website. I was emailed in April by the head of recruiting for interns about setting up an interview. I interviewed the following week, the whole process took about 40 minutes. I was able to take any books home from a bookshelf at the end. Overall it was a great experience, very friendly interviewer and the questions were typical and not too complex to answer.

Interview Questions

• What imprint could you see yourself working for and why?
      Why publishing?
      Describe a time when you overcame adversity   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for an interview a week later. I know that no job is guaranteed, but I was told that I was the "perfect" candidate with a "perfect" resume and cover letter. I was told that I was a great fit, and when an employee asked the interviewer if she was going to hire me, they enthusiastically said "I hope so!" I was also introduced to the head of HR, and we had a nice chat for a few minutes.

Now, I'm not one to assume, but I had such a good feeling about this interview after all of the interviewer's comments. I was told I would get a mid-May update, and then a definitive answer by the beginning of June. If I was to be rejected for the internship, I would still get an email. June came and went. Needless to say, it's now September and I still haven't heard back! Obviously, I didn't get the internship.

Final words: Simon & Schuster, don't get your candidate's hopes up, tell them you will contact them (even if it's a rejection), and then disappear. It was honestly heartbreaking to get all excited and then get total radio silence. I will not be applying here in the future.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online through career website, heard back in a week or two. Set up an in-person interview at the Rockefeller office for the following week. Interviewer very friendly. Since it was an internship interview I felt like a lot of the questions were more general and geared towards me as a person and how knowledgable I was about the company & imprints.

Interview Questions

• Which imprint are you interested in?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I was called in for an interview, but unfortunately did not hear back for two weeks afterward. At that point, I emailed my interviewer for an update and she informed me that they were not able to offer me a position at that time. S&S seems like a great place to work, but it's very hard to get your foot in the door. I think a lot of interns are hired from employee referrals.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by HR and then we scheduled an interview with the in-house HR person. The whole process was painless and conducted quite professional. I was surprised at how light-hearted and easygoing the interview was, which put me as ease.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I sent my resume and cover letter online and heard back very quickly from the hiring manager (within a few days). The interview was mostly standard questions, such as the types of books I like to read and discussing my responsibilities from my college leadership positions.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online and heard back a week later. We discussed two possible imprints where I would fit in best and I chose the one that they suggested, as they based it on my experience and interests. We watched a short video about the imprint too so that I would know more about it. I felt that they were very helpful and nurturing in making sure that not only I was a good fit for them, but that they were a good fit for me too.

Interview Questions

• They asked me what kinds of books I like to read and what my pursuits were within the publishing industry. They also asked me about my former degree, which was not English or publishing related, and wanted to know why I had initially chosen it. It was a very casual interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't much negotiation, it is a paid internship.