Simon & Schuster Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Simon & Schuster Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online through career website, heard back in a week or two. Set up an in-person interview at the Rockefeller office for the following week. Interviewer very friendly. Since it was an internship interview I felt like a lot of the questions were more general and geared towards me as a person and how knowledgable I was about the company & imprints.

Interview Questions

• Which imprint are you interested in?   1 Answer

Tax Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster.

Interview

controller & tax manager, background from prior employment, regarding tax work, familiarity with various tax software and systems, met with both controller and tax manager but none of frontline employees, may have been critical in determining the environment of the office

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I was called in for an interview, but unfortunately did not hear back for two weeks afterward. At that point, I emailed my interviewer for an update and she informed me that they were not able to offer me a position at that time. S&S seems like a great place to work, but it's very hard to get your foot in the door. I think a lot of interns are hired from employee referrals.

Editorial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

I went to their main nye office for a short interview of about 30 minutes. I did most of the talking, as she asked very open-ended questions: Why publishing? What department was I interested in? What are my favorite books? What did I do in my previous experience? Where do I want to end up? What have I enjoyed in my classes? After, I picked out a few books from their selection that I got to take for the road!

Publicity Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I was recruited via email and asked to apply to a Publicity Assistant position with S&S. I scheduled an interview for the following week at their midtown offices and found the entire process to be very straightforward. I met with three several people over the course of an hour: HR, the Publicity Director, and the Executive Director.

Interview Questions

• If you could tell me something about you that's not on your resume, what would it be?   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster (Parsippany, NJ) in February 2016.

Interview

After talking over the phone with an HR manager, I was invited to an interview. Here I met with an AP manager and the person in charge of accounting services. The interview went well and was brought in for a second round. Here I got to meet the controller and was asked technical questions in a mini case study like scenario. The same day I was called with an offer, which I certainly accepted as it's an industry I was really interested in. Overall I liked my interview experience at S&S.

Interview Questions

• What can you do with excel?   1 Answer

Finance Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster.

Interview

Interviewed with the hr person and 3 hiring managers in succession. After those interviews I received a call that I would have a final interview at another location. This final interview was several hours long. I didn't think that the final interview went well, but I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• What are the balance sheet and income statement items.   Answer Question
    • How does a company account for returns allowance?   Answer Question
    • Why are you leaving your current position? other typical hr interview questions.   Answer Question

Declined because pay was low, not impressed with the facilities that I would be working at.

Digital Assets Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Very young hiring manager, completely awkward. Not very confident about asking her questions and seemed almost confused about the questions she was asking. Seemed as if she wasn't prepared to conduct an interview, nor was she clear (in her own mind) about what she was looking for in a potential candidate. 2 out of 3 interviews I've had for S&S followed the same trend except the the previous interview was for a different position and the hiring manager was socially awkward and asked questions like "How have you helped people outside of the work place?"

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by HR and then we scheduled an interview with the in-house HR person. The whole process was painless and conducted quite professional. I was surprised at how light-hearted and easygoing the interview was, which put me as ease.

Sales Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Simon & Schuster.

Interview

Excellent. I was originally went in to intwerview for another position and was called by HR to interview for this one. HR and the interviewer were both wonderful- extremely kind and took the pressure off. Interview felt more like a friendly conversation than a Q&A. Some questions that were asked: why publishing? what do you like to read and/or listen to? etc.

Interview Questions

• How would you marker a horror/scary book? What would be your business plan and sales   1 Answer