Sinclair Broadcast Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.3

1. Featured Interview

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sinclair Broadcast Group (Hunt Valley, MD) in November 2015.

Interview

IT was a conversation, very informal I learned about the company and what they wanted and talk about myself and what I could bring to the table. The whole process took about a week total

Marketing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Interview

I applied in January and had a sit down interview with a Sales Manager about 3 weeks later. After answering follow up questions and doing industry research I came back in about 2 months later for a follow up. I'm not sure if it was the time gap but this interview was with the same manager and the first half was rehashing all the get to you know you preliminary questions. After this I expected either a yes or a no but I was contacted again to come in and meet 3 more managers. The whole process was frustrating and drawn out and they continually didn't meet dates in which they said they would contact me by. For a commission only position with no base pay, they really are taking no risk in taking people on.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in sales?   1 Answer

Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sinclair Broadcast Group.

Interview

Applied online, got a call from an internal recruiter, discussed my background. Got an email saying to come in for an interview to the Hunt Valley office.

When I came in I met with someone in HR (not who I talked to on the phone). I was then brought down to see the hiring manager. The hiring manager knew NOTHING about me. Not a single fact including my name. It was clear he had never seen my resume and had no interest in talking to me.

The hiring manager asked me a basic question, and turned to his laptop to answer emails. He said he was taking notes. He was on Outlook replying to emails. This went on for 30 minutes. He didn't ask a single follow up question because he didn't listen to my response.

Once 30 minutes passed he walked me to the elevator. The second the door opened he abruptly cut me off mid sentence, said "Thanks for coming in," and walked away.

Emailed the recruiter and hiring manger as a courtesy. Received no answer from either of them. Despite it being obvious they had no interest in me other than to fulfill their internal quota for number of candidates to interview, they could have at least said they weren't interested.

The most insulting interview of my life. A total disrespect for people's personal time. I used a vacation day to be part of Sinclair's quota process despite them having zero interest in me being a real candidate.

Digital Content Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sinclair Broadcast Group (Syracuse, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I interviewed for two Sinclair stations in July - one in Syracuse, NY and one in Mishawaka, IN. In Syracuse - 3 interviews (1 with dept. head, 1 with assistant news director, 1 with assistant news director and news director). Everyone was nice here and it was refreshing to see at least 2 women in positions of authority (this industry treats women pretty bad so I've noticed). However, the offer was just ridiculously low with no room for negotiation. As Sinclair is buying an entirely different news company (Tribune), it seems, uh, strange they don't provide enough support to local stations to, ya know, pay their employees a fair wage. Look, it's NEW YORK...15 dollars per hour is a MINIMUM any respectable employer gives to their employees - and that's unskilled labor. This indicates financial mismanagement and/or greed at both the corporate and local level.

It gets worse though. I drove hours out of my way for a live interview in Mishawaka where I was met by a truly incompetent dept. head who "forgot to tell me the wage was a measly 12/hr." He mentioned he felt bad, but come on, really? How did someone like this get hired anywhere, let alone as a dept. head? If you saw this person, you'd get it.

If John Oliver's segment didn't scare you away - my stories should. Don't expect to make much more than 32,000 (NOT for entry level positions). Sinclair is bad news. Avoid applying at all costs.

I ended up getting a position with a private company with nearly double the salary I was offered at Sinclair stations. You can and should look elsewhere. Sinclair doesn't value its employees. Always remember your worth!

Interview Questions

• What is an important news story right now?   1 Answer

News Producer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Sinclair Broadcast Group in June 2017.

Interview

The interview process was really quick. I received a call one day, had a virtual interview a few days later, and received an offer that same week. The interview was Very professional. The News Director wanted to know about me and my experience. As well as answered any and all questions I had.

Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sinclair Broadcast Group (Columbus, OH) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online, Sinclair puts their job postings on pretty much every site, as well as their own. Which is easy to apply for and navigate. Very streamlined

Once my application was sent, it took 6 days to receive an e-mail. Basic questions about scheduling limitations, as well as questions about the resume, and elaborating on duties with past experience.

From that point, an e-mail with actual days/times, and salary was sent. Following that was a phone-interview, which was basically the same questions asked in the e-mail.

Finally, an in-person interview was set. That was another 3 days.

Upon arriving for the interview, a tour was given, meeting with different people from producers, news team, control room, etc.
    Then a Q&A in an office. Very laid back, yet professional and just a generally fun experience. You learn a lot about the company culture, and how that specific station functions.

This is an amazing first step in the door for those wanting to get into broadcasting, but for a person out of college and living away from home, the wage was too little to live off on.

Interview Questions

• What do you excel in, and what would you like to learn more about?   Answer Question

Social Media Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sinclair Broadcast Group (Baltimore, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

Emailed, scheduled phone interview.
    The interviewer was clearly not very knowledgable on the actual social media industry. I think he was really convinced that telling people how to run a Twitter account was journalism rather than a marketing solution...

Interview Questions

• What do you think the future of social media is?   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sinclair Broadcast Group (San Antonio, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview consisted of me meeting with the main sales manager, then a digital sales manager, the director of sales, and so on. Each gave insight on what they do and how long they had been with the company. They expressed what they were looking for in an account executive, and asked me some typical interview questions.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest strength?   1 Answer

Local Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sinclair Broadcast Group (Las Vegas, NV) in September 2016.

Interview

Interviewer was very friendly and went down a long list of the standard interview questions. At the end of interview salary was discussed and was disappointingly low which the interviewer was aware of and seemed to agree. I inquired about the possibility of future increase in pay and/or potential for growth once established in the company but the response was not hopeful. Very nice people, just very low pay.

Interview Questions

• How would your co-workers describe you?
      How would you describe your last boss?
      Describe a situation in which you had to deal with a difficult client, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sinclair Broadcast Group (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

For a contract role, I was brought in for a 1-1 interview. Lead who interviewed me didn't have any relevant questions for the Android role. It's like he didn't know how to interview.

Digital News Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sinclair Broadcast Group (Arlington, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position online and received a call 3 days later. I went in for an in-person interview the following week, and it was very easy and went really well. I was told they were looking to fill the position right away and to expect everything to happen very quickly. I was given a writing test that evening, and was told that if they were unsure of my abilities they would let me do another one. I did the test and never heard back. I wrote the manager an email a week later and he never responded. A couple of weeks after that, I actually called the manager, left a voicemail, and he never called me back. Hint: If they didn't want to hire me, it sure would have been nice to get a rejection email, considering I contacted them two times to get an update.

Interview Questions

• What types of news stories are you the most interested in?   Answer Question