Smithsonian Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 27, 2018

2.4

Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Smithsonian (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

Spoke to department head who needed assistance. Discussed work required and I made proposal on how I would handle it. Contract was offered to me within a few weeks after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Will I be able to accomplish work needed within a certain time frame?   1 Answer

Museum Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC).

Interview

Initial contact and interview were clear but informal. The person conducting the interview was detailed about the expectations of when, where, and who of the interview including the dress code (which was informal). A single in person interview was conducted with introductions (after the interview) to other members of the work unit.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked technical questions directly related to the mechanics of doing the actual job. Although potentially difficult, these are questions that a person interviewing for this position would be comfortable answering. In fact I found the interview easy and relatively low stress (if such a thing is possible).   Answer Question

Negotiation

Ha! There was no negotiation. I was contacted by the HR department with the job offer (position and starting salary being offered). The negotiation consisted of either accepting their offer or declining employment.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview was friendly and laid-back. They calmed my nerves. The employees clearly love their job and it showed. It went so well and, luckily, I got the position. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity, really.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian in March 2016.

Interview

It was an informal interview over the phone with two employees at NMAH. Very friendly and generally wanted to get to know you. The entire interview took around 30 minutes. I heard back within 2 weeks of the interview offering me the internship.

Interview Questions

• The overall questions weren't difficult to answer. They asked me about me resume, classes I was taking, and my digitization and research experience.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian.

Interview

I applied online through SOLAA. Two months after submitting the application, I received a phone call and was asked if I was still interested in the position. A few days later, I was offered the internship and I accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone interview, which was all that was required for the job. Different departments might have different hiring, but it's pretty easy for an intern.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

There were two rounds of interviews. The first was a very general conversation so they could get to know my background, the second was more specific behavioral and technical questions related to the role. Once they reached out about the first round interview, it was just a few weeks until I had received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you collaborated on a team, and describe how your contribution to the team improved the end results.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Phone call interview lasted for less than 30 minutes. The interviewer only asked one question, then introduced Smithsonian and the position to me. The whole process was easy and casual.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC).

Interview

This was fairly simple. So long as you had the appropriate qualifications and a work ethic it seemed that they could accept you. The questions were very much along the lines of where you want to go in life. The interview was over the phone and was not stressful at all. As for after the acceptance there was a simple background check and everything else was fairly straight forward.

Interview Questions

• I wouldn't say that there was anything truly unexpected.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Smithsonian in March 2009.

Interview

interviewed by supervisor.