Smithsonian Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Smithsonian Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2017

2.5

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian.

Interview

I applied online through SOLAA. Two months after submitting the application, I received a phone call and was asked if I was still interested in the position. A few days later, I was offered the internship and I accepted.

Advancement Service Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

I received an email for a phone interview which went well. Afterwards I was invited for an in person interview which was very laid back and only lasted about 35 minutes. No real difficult questions, just a get to know you conversation. I did not hear back for 2 weeks and I emailed the secretary who stated they were still in the hiring process. I never heard back from them after that email.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian in March 2016.

Interview

It was an informal interview over the phone with two employees at NMAH. Very friendly and generally wanted to get to know you. The entire interview took around 30 minutes. I heard back within 2 weeks of the interview offering me the internship.

Interview Questions

• The overall questions weren't difficult to answer. They asked me about me resume, classes I was taking, and my digitization and research experience.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC).

Interview

There was a 30 minute phone interview followed by a panel interview and then one where I gave a presentation. So two separate in-person interviews and then there was a final Skype interview with the management team. So four interviews in total before receiving an offer for the position. Then they needed to do background checks. So it was a lengthy process.

Interview Questions

• What makes you qualified for this job?   2 Answers

Program Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Smithsonian in October 2015.

Interview

Contacted me via email for a 10 to 15 minute phone interview to tell me more about the job, ask about my experiences and screen me. Started out with simple chatting where she got to know me a little and it progressed to questions more typical of a normal interview that specifically related to the job. Very friendly interviewer made it relatively low stress.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience writing scientific/technical papers? What was the hardest thing about working in (last job)? Do you have experience with cross cultural encounters? Have you ever been in charge of planning an event?   1 Answer

Digital Media and Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

Incredibly fast! I applied the day of the deadline, got a call the next day and on the same day as my call I got the internship! I think it has to do with the department at SI that was hiring me, as I heard it can oftentimes be a much slower process. They emailed me the next day, we set up a phone call for the following day, and I heard back I got the internship within 3 hours of my interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Smithsonian? How do your past internships mesh with the requirements of this job? Can you come in for full days?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Smithsonian.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone interview because I was not in DC at the time. I was interviewed by two of the coordinators who were very friendly. I cannot remember how long it took me to hear back (for interview or their decision) but I emailed them asking when I would hear back since I was offered another internship else where. One of the interviewers said I would hear soon and I received the call the next day.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Smithsonian.

Interview

I submitted an application through SOLAA, which is the Smithsonian's online application management site. The application asked for two recs, a resume, and a cover letter. I got an email about a week later scheduling a phone interview; we then had a phone interview. The interview was pretty easy, got the offer essentially on the spot.

Training Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Honestly, the interview questions did not reflect the work that I currently do. It is not the interviewers' faults. They were not L&D people. They represented possible stakeholders. But, to be honest, I have not interacted with any of them on a meaningful level since my interview.

OFEO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Smithsonian (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

For the applications for the various Smithsonian internship programs, I wrote essays highlighting why I was a goo fit for the programs that they were offering. They want the experience to benefit me and them in the long run. For the interview there was a five person panel which though intimidating gave me a good idea of the people and environment there.

Interview Questions

• What do you want this internship to do for you? What do you hope to learn from this internship? Have you handled artwork and artifacts before? What would you add to the Smithsonian through this internship?   Answer Question