Software Engineering Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 11, 2017

3.1

User Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cranberry, PA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Cranberry, PA) in May 2017.

Interview

The first interview was a exploratory phone call. Then a second phone call which lasted approx 45minutes with one of the hiring managers. From there followed an in person interview which was back to back interviews of multiple people from different areas of the company.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a disagreement with a co-worker or handle when a manager ask you to do something you do not agree with?   Answer Question

Senior Security Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2017.

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me directly and asked if there were any available positions that I felt match my experience; I replied with three. I interviewed on the phone with the hiring Technical Manager (~30 minutes) for one position and he referred me to another division where I might be a better fit. I interviewed on the phone with the next hiring Technical Manager (~30 minutes) who then referred me for an onsite interview. I then spoke with the recruiter who ensured me that the interview was set. A few days before the interview, I was a bit worried as I had not yet received a flight itinerary when she called and said we would have to reschedule. We set a new date, on a Tuesday, and on the Friday before I called the recruiter again to advise that I still had not yet received the itinerary. The day before the interview I received the flight itinerary. I flew to the site for an all morning interview which started with my 30-minute presentation and questions. I then had 3 groups interview me separately for ~30 minutes each and finished a one-on-one with who would be my second line supervisor. I left the site and returned home only to find out the recruiter who scheduled the flights had my return to a different airport than my original departure.

At one point, one of the interviewers asked: "You do realize this is a technical position?" I noted that the position description did include "Technical knowledge" but at no point was I told this was a highly "technical" position. In fact, the hiring Technical Manager advised the entire position description was inaccurate and he was more interested in finding someone with a unique set of real-world skills and experiences in the field as most of the team was purely academic with no actual field experience.

I post this review as I have a colleague who had a *very* similar experience of being told mid-interview the position is far more "technical" than what was advertised or advised. He and I now wonder if the entire interview was merely a low-cost way to get the 30-minute presentation from an expert in a field with little to no interest in hiring the candidate unless they fit a pre-determined, unknown set of skills.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2017.

Interview

Informal lunch meeting, primarily to ensure that I was a culture fit. The entire team of available staff members treated me to a meal at a nice local restaurant and gave me a run-down of the different projects I could choose to help with if given an offer.

Information Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2016.

Interview

Phone screen, followed by phone interview, then onsite.

The phone screen was very basic. Asked about past projects and why I was interested in the position. The phone interview was very similar to the phone screen but more in-depth and technical. The final onsite interview involved giving a presentation to a group about a past work or research project. Followed by three more technical '2 on 1' interviews.

Interview Questions

• Final interview question: Describe and diagram, on a white board, an HTTP request to "www.google.com" with as much detail as possible.   Answer Question

Cyber Security Engineer - Exercise Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied for this position online through the SEI website. After several months, I was contacted by a recruiter at SEI who I spoke with a few times to discuss the organization and my background. The recruiter set up a phone screen with a hiring manager. After talking to the hiring manager, I was put in contact with a team lead for a technical phone screen. I was then invited to travel to Pittsburgh for an in-person interview. I was asked to prepare a 30 minute presentation of a technical nature to present to the team on site. After giving my presentation and answering questions, I interviewed with three panels, and was also taken out to lunch by members of the team.

Interview Questions

• Describe your technical background.
      What additional technical training would you like to pursue, if given the opportunity?   Answer Question

Exercise Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

Shared my career aspirations with the local recruiter who helped see where there might be a good fit. Meet and greet with leadership and team personnel provided a good opportunity to ask questions. They always made themselves available if I was uncertain about anything. HR personnel went above and beyond to help.

Interview Questions

• Describe in as detailed manner as possible, the entire sequence of events that takes place when you navigate to a webpage? Assume the machine was just turned on.   Answer Question

Business Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process consisted of interview with the manager.

At first he introduced himself and the company.

The first question was : Tell me about yourself

After that he digged me on my course work at Carnegie Mellon University. He asked me my experience working on Time Series Analysis. He also asked me about my experience and projects on Data Mining (Linear Regression etc)

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about your self
      2) What courses have you taken in your graduate work at CMU?
      3) What is exponential smoothing ?When do you use it?
      4) Explain Linear Regression ?
      5) What are you expecting out of the internship   1 Answer

Staff Employee Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute.

Interview

Upon initially being contacted by SEI, a phone screen was conducted. Following the phone screening were three interviews (one over the phone and two in-person). The entire process lasted about two months although HR was helpful throughout and consistent in keeping in touch. Overall a pleasant experience although it requires some patience.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Consisted of 3 stages. Phone screen followed by technical phone interview followed by a technical face to face. The initial screen consisted of a few questions about yourself and where your interests lie. The first technical interview was more of a discussion, where both the interviewee and interviewer describe some previous projects in detail. The last phase consisted of meeting 3 people in 30 to 60 min sections, followed a white board session. Each section consisted of questions regarding previous projects and explaining them in detail. The white board session consisted of me writing code to solve different problems in any language of my choice.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to write a chunk of code to find the Nth fibonacci sequence.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute.

Interview

Phone screening is all.