Software Engineering Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Software Engineering Institute

1. Featured Interview

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Multiple interviews with various different department managers. Clearly assessing your compatibility with the SEI. Presentation to selected technical personnel. Lunch with a same level MTS who shares their experience with the SEI.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect to accomplish while at the SEI   1 Answer

Contracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview process was short with a panel interview. The panel was knowledgeable and friendly as well as professional. I had to return for a second interview. I was picked up from the airport and returned to the airport without having to schedule travel. I was treated to lunch. The process was pleasant.

Software Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

I initially contacted a specific individual about a project of theirs. In about a week and a few emails, I was contacted for a phone interview. The questions were focused on the coding challenges I'd faced, and specifics of how I'd overcome them. They also asked about specific knowledge/experience I may have. I was invited perhaps a day later for an on-site interview. I was given very little specifics of how I would be interviewed. I went through three interviews in about the space of an hour. The interviews were all technical-- very few behavioral questions were asked. I was asked to do a bit of whiteboard coding unrelated to the position; typical problem solving sort of question.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to write a solution to a simple string operation problem on the whiteboard. I had forgotten some of the string API, which may have hampered my ability to solve the problem without some assistance (which was provided). The difficult part was that, after the solution had been written, I was asked to optimize it as much as I could.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2018.

Interview

The in-person interview process began with a presentation on a relevant topic, followed by Q&A. The presentation was a great experience (I've never done this type of interview before) and the questions that the attending staff asked were on-topic. Everyone seemed to be engaged, which was great! After a short break, the remainder of the morning was filled with a series of panel interviews asking technical questions. All in all, it was challenging and rewarding.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would tailor a software process for a specific team.   Answer Question

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2018.

Interview

Applied online and got a call about a month later from an HR rep to schedule an interview. Had 3 people interviewing me - 2 in person and 1 participating over Skype. Very behavioral interview with a few basic technical questions. I didn't know answers to one of the technical questions but was assured by the interviewers that it was just to see my base knowledge and that they were just looking for someone excited to learn. Got a call about an hour after with an offer.

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in December 2011.

Interview

An SEI internship opening was posted on my university's job board. I submitted my resume (no cover letter was requested) and was emailed the following day to schedule an interview. I interviewed with two people in a row. The entire process took about an hour. The building was very quiet and seemed very stiff and serious.

Interview Questions

• How would you make very technical, dense language relatable to the average person?   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone screen, then an in-person interview that was one-on-one, then a skills review, then a presentation for a group/panel of four individuals. The organizational culture seemed to have a good vibe and the people I met seemed very nice.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what projects you worked on recently?   1 Answer

Information Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2016.

Interview

Phone screen, followed by phone interview, then onsite.

The phone screen was very basic. Asked about past projects and why I was interested in the position. The phone interview was very similar to the phone screen but more in-depth and technical. The final onsite interview involved giving a presentation to a group about a past work or research project. Followed by three more technical '2 on 1' interviews.

Interview Questions

• Final interview question: Describe and diagram, on a white board, an HTTP request to "www.google.com" with as much detail as possible.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Consisted of 3 stages. Phone screen followed by technical phone interview followed by a technical face to face. The initial screen consisted of a few questions about yourself and where your interests lie. The first technical interview was more of a discussion, where both the interviewee and interviewer describe some previous projects in detail. The last phase consisted of meeting 3 people in 30 to 60 min sections, followed a white board session. Each section consisted of questions regarding previous projects and explaining them in detail. The white board session consisted of me writing code to solve different problems in any language of my choice.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to write a chunk of code to find the Nth fibonacci sequence.   Answer Question

Senior Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2011.

Interview

Filled out an application online. Got a 15-minute screening call from HR. Attended a half-day interview, with about 10 different people in pairs and individually, plus lunch. Then there was a specific skills test. Attended another 2-hour interview with 4 different people individually. Due to the nature of the work, there is a background check as well as a references check before the organization makes an offer. The whole process from screening call to offer took about 3 months.

Interview Questions

• Pretty much the standard questions: describe a challenge that you overcame; what's your biggest weakness... Nothing oddball like you hear about these days (how many ridges does a quarter have?).   Answer Question

Programming Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2012.

Interview

Began the application process by sending a resume. I was paired with a manager who then basically used my resume to determine whether or not I was a fit for any of their projects. After this, I was interviewed by the leaders of those respective projects and then informed of the decision.

Interview Questions

• The SEI works on real world problems that school didn't necessarily prepare me for. The most difficult thing about working there was learning really quickly about foreign concepts.   Answer Question