Software Engineering Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Software Engineering Institute Interview Questions

3.1

Information Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2016.

Interview

Phone screen, followed by phone interview, then onsite.

The phone screen was very basic. Asked about past projects and why I was interested in the position. The phone interview was very similar to the phone screen but more in-depth and technical. The final onsite interview involved giving a presentation to a group about a past work or research project. Followed by three more technical '2 on 1' interviews.

Interview Questions

• Final interview question: Describe and diagram, on a white board, an HTTP request to "www.google.com" with as much detail as possible.   Answer Question

Cyber Security Engineer - Exercise Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied for this position online through the SEI website. After several months, I was contacted by a recruiter at SEI who I spoke with a few times to discuss the organization and my background. The recruiter set up a phone screen with a hiring manager. After talking to the hiring manager, I was put in contact with a team lead for a technical phone screen. I was then invited to travel to Pittsburgh for an in-person interview. I was asked to prepare a 30 minute presentation of a technical nature to present to the team on site. After giving my presentation and answering questions, I interviewed with three panels, and was also taken out to lunch by members of the team.

Interview Questions

• Describe your technical background.
      What additional technical training would you like to pursue, if given the opportunity?
      Answer Question

Exercise Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

Shared my career aspirations with the local recruiter who helped see where there might be a good fit. Meet and greet with leadership and team personnel provided a good opportunity to ask questions. They always made themselves available if I was uncertain about anything. HR personnel went above and beyond to help.

Interview Questions

• Describe in as detailed manner as possible, the entire sequence of events that takes place when you navigate to a webpage? Assume the machine was just turned on.   Answer Question

Business Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process consisted of interview with the manager.

At first he introduced himself and the company.

The first question was : Tell me about yourself

After that he digged me on my course work at Carnegie Mellon University. He asked me my experience working on Time Series Analysis. He also asked me about my experience and projects on Data Mining (Linear Regression etc)

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about your self
      2) What courses have you taken in your graduate work at CMU?
      3) What is exponential smoothing ?When do you use it?
      4) Explain Linear Regression ?
      5) What are you expecting out of the internship
      1 Answer

Staff Employee Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute.

Interview

Upon initially being contacted by SEI, a phone screen was conducted. Following the phone screening were three interviews (one over the phone and two in-person). The entire process lasted about two months although HR was helpful throughout and consistent in keeping in touch. Overall a pleasant experience although it requires some patience.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Consisted of 3 stages. Phone screen followed by technical phone interview followed by a technical face to face. The initial screen consisted of a few questions about yourself and where your interests lie. The first technical interview was more of a discussion, where both the interviewee and interviewer describe some previous projects in detail. The last phase consisted of meeting 3 people in 30 to 60 min sections, followed a white board session. Each section consisted of questions regarding previous projects and explaining them in detail. The white board session consisted of me writing code to solve different problems in any language of my choice.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to write a chunk of code to find the Nth fibonacci sequence.   Answer Question

Grad Student Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute.

Interview

Phone screening is all.

Software Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

I initially contacted a specific individual about a project of theirs. In about a week and a few emails, I was contacted for a phone interview. The questions were focused on the coding challenges I'd faced, and specifics of how I'd overcome them. They also asked about specific knowledge/experience I may have. I was invited perhaps a day later for an on-site interview. I was given very little specifics of how I would be interviewed. I went through three interviews in about the space of an hour. The interviews were all technical-- very few behavioral questions were asked. I was asked to do a bit of whiteboard coding unrelated to the position; typical problem solving sort of question.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to write a solution to a simple string operation problem on the whiteboard. I had forgotten some of the string API, which may have hampered my ability to solve the problem without some assistance (which was provided). The difficult part was that, after the solution had been written, I was asked to optimize it as much as I could.   Answer Question

Programming Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2012.

Interview

Began the application process by sending a resume. I was paired with a manager who then basically used my resume to determine whether or not I was a fit for any of their projects. After this, I was interviewed by the leaders of those respective projects and then informed of the decision.

Interview Questions

• The SEI works on real world problems that school didn't necessarily prepare me for. The most difficult thing about working there was learning really quickly about foreign concepts.   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Software Engineering Institute (Pittsburgh, PA) in December 2011.

Interview

An SEI internship opening was posted on my university's job board. I submitted my resume (no cover letter was requested) and was emailed the following day to schedule an interview. I interviewed with two people in a row. The entire process took about an hour. The building was very quiet and seemed very stiff and serious.

Interview Questions

• How would you make very technical, dense language relatable to the average person?   Answer Question