Sonos Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sonos (Boston, MA).

Interview

The interview process was certainly tough however, extremely enjoyable. Process started with an application for a position that Sonos was no longer filling however, I was reached out to by Jenn informing me that she would love to chat about the position it turned into. From there was a video interview via Zoom with my now supervisor which led to an on-site interview from 10A-4P. This seems like a long day however, the atmosphere and the team made the day breeze by without it even feeling like an interview. Sonos is very big on culture and celebrates diversity which is something that is absolutely paramount to me in a business.

Overall, the process took about 3 weeks from initial contact, phone screen, video interview, on-site, reference check to offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sonos.

Interview

They had an info session at my school. After applying online i got contacted to make a 3 minute video showing why I wanted to work there. This is ridiculous and stupid. I don't know why software engineers need to be good at making videos. So anyway, they rejected me months after I submitted my video, when they promised to get back to me in a few weeks. Awful experience. I'm almost certain they didn't even look at my resume. HR probably just viewed the video and rejected me solely based on that. I know for a fact I was much more qualified than others that made it to the next step.

Interview Questions

• Create a 3 minute video showing what is unique about you and why you want to work at sonos.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Sonos (Cambridge, MA) in May 2013.

Interview

It started with a phone call from a recruiter where there weren't any technical questions asked, just talked about my background. Next was a phone call with a manager and again this wasn't much of a phone screen rather than just a discussion on my background. Finally I went in for a full day interview with a mix of technical interviews and non-technical. Also some of the interviews were remote over skype.

Interview Questions

• They asked to write a function in C that could count and return how many 1's are in an int.
      They asked to reverse a string in C (in place).
      They asked some question about boxes (not the optimal box packing problem though) where I simply need to iterate and use modulo.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sonos.

Interview

First call was a very simple and pleasant personality screening. At the end we set up my second phone interview and that was that.
        I received my call on time from one of their software leads, and we discussed my background in computer science and prior work that I had listed on my resume. He wanted to know how I designed one of my projects during prior employment; it was unfortunate that I hadn't re-familiarized myself before the interview with how I solved problems in the implementation of what I had mentioned on that resume.
        After that, he asked if I was familiar with garbage collection, and he had me explain how I would go about implementing a garbage collection system.
        On the two implementation questions we wound up going into (my prior work and garbage collection), I didn't answer either perfectly, either forgetting or not knowing some important details of the implementations. But, it appeared to be good enough: I have since received another call expressing their interest and set up a future time to discuss more/move ahead in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about implementation a garbage collection system (while constructing, for example, a compiler)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sonos (Santa Barbara, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

1. Short answer questions about passions and why Sonos
    2. Make a video demonstrating good fit with company
    3. Video interview with employee, asking about resume and qualifications
    4. On-Site interview day: 5x45minute interviews:
      i. whiteboard coding
      ii. personality x3
      iii. you give presentation

Interview Questions

• How would you schedule to speakers to play at the exact same time?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sonos.

Interview

Applied online, was emailed a day or two later asking me to complete an 3 minute video describing myself. I completed it and received an email saying that they would contact me a few days later about the next step. About a month later I received an email from them asking if I could complete the video challenge and again I emailed them my video and received an email that they would contact me a few days later about the next step. A month after that I received an email that they were no longer considering me for the position. Their interview process seems sloppy at best.

Interview Questions

• To create a video describing myself and why I'd be a fit for Sonos.   Answer Question

Mar 2, 2016 – Talent Brand Leader

We are sorry to hear you didn’t have a positive experience applying to our program. We try to ensure we respond to all applications in a a timely fashion but clearly we missed the mark and apologize... More

Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sonos (Santa Barbara, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

First round was with the HR recruiter. Second round was with the hiring manager over skype. Third round was on campus face to face with 6 interviewers. The interview was mainly experience based, interviewers mostly talked about the projects I already did in my previous jobs. Some basic questions on OOP Design, programming language, design pattern, web service design. Not too much into the technical depth though.

Interview Questions

• Pick a project from your resume and describe details about it.   1 Answer

Mar 4, 2016 – Talent Brand Leader

Thanks for sharing your feedback and WELCOME to the band!

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sonos (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

Asked for algorithms including mathematical and logic types. Team fitting is a BIG part which is great since I value that a lot as well! One-on-one follow ups, lots of them. Sonos really value the opinion of all the members of the family. Be prepared; however, none of them shall find you surprised.

Compared with the standard Google or Microsoft interviews, they seem to respect your knowledge and actually have confident employee to interview you based on your talent sets.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve [describe physical problem here] using constrains as [describe hardware here].   Answer Question

Mar 4, 2016 – Talent Brand Leader

Thank you for sharing your feedback and WELCOME to the band!

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Sonos (Boston, MA) in December 2015.

Interview

The emphasis is more on the cultural fit, the first round with a video elevator speech itself determines that. A couple of One-on-One video chats helps to determine if this is a perfect fit. The final round is all-in technical, you have a potential indeed if you reach here. Design and approach are under the microscope now. Technical questions throw a good challenge and assesses the ability to think beyond the problem's scope.

Interview Questions

• Tree traversals with back references keeping in mind all the escape conditions for recursion.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sonos in October 2018.

Interview

The interviewer wants me to write some basic methods in a system they already built. And asked me some technical questions. The process was really good. The interviewer likes to communicate with you and you can discuss what you want.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sonos.

Interview

After applying I completed a phone interview via Zoom (so there was video and audio). The interviewer was really nice and asked one technical question and one behavioral question.