Sonos Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 7, 2017

2.8

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sonos (Boston, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

This was one of the most enjoyable interview processes I have been through. On top of that, they were very quick to respond and move through each step. The total length of the process (from me submitting my application at sonos.com to me receiving a written job offer) was exactly 3 weeks.

2 days after I applied, I spoke with a technical recruiter, who worked with me throughout the hiring process. We discussed my background, why I was interested, and my salary expectations.

The next step (~1wk later) was a video interview with the hiring manager. This interview was technical, however I was not asked to write code; it was more of questions about programming, C++, and so on.

Another week later (well, 6 days) I had a second video interview with one of the engineers. This interview was technical and required live coding with a screen-share.

A week after that, I found myself on a plane to Boston for an onsite interview. The onsite interview was very rigorous. I had 7 one-on-one interviews, in addition to lunch with the hiring manager, which, while casual, was clearly part of the interview process as well. All of the interviewers asked technical questions, including some that required deeper knowledge of C++ than I had. I did not nail every question, but the interviewers were gracious and jumped directly into teaching mode when I did not know the answer. I actually learned a lot just on my interview day! Beyond technical questions, most interviewers also had me solve coding challenges, writing code on a whiteboard. A few had me use a laptop to write code, which was much more comfortable (but make sure you are syntactically correct). You should be prepared to discuss difficult/involved/impressive/innovative projects you have personally worked on, in as much detail as possible.

I flew back immediately after the interview and got some much-needed rest. The next day, I received an email from the hiring manager requesting some time to talk on the phone. We spoke on the phone and he let me know they were interested in offering me the job. The next day I had a written offer to look at, which I slept on. The day after that, I called back to clarify a few details, negotiate a slightly higher base pay, and finally accept the offer.

Throughout the entire process, everyone I interacted with was very kind, helpful, and transparent. On the other hand, this was also the most difficult on-site interview I have attended (and I interviewed at Amazon). However, what Sonos makes clear by their actions is that they are actually interested in getting to know you as a candidate and understand your capabilities and potential. They are not just trying to eliminate as many candidates as possible like any of the "top 5" tech companies. They actually want to determine if you are a fit for the company and the team.

Accounts Payable Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Sonos (Santa Barbara, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Very laid back and casual interview. Talked a bit about my previous experience and noted specifics on my resume. The company greatly emphasizes culture fit, especially enthusiasm towards music.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sonos.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter who works for the company (no outside agency). Had about a 30min discussion about open positions/projects within the company and end goals for said projects. Recruiter then sets up an hour long video chat with a Software Development Manager. Next, I am asked to complete a code challenge. The coding exercise is extremely open ended with no time limits and very vague instructions. It takes a couple of hours to complete. The team that grade the exercises seem to grade things that aren't related to the task. For example, the type of framework you use i.e., Spring, which should be irrelevant and not count towards the score. Even if you come up with a fully-functional and tested REST API for this task, the team will deduct points for things like the number of classes used, which is NEVER stated anywhere within the challenge guidelines. The entire exercise is poorly written and grading of this exercise is even worse. It appears as if they have a QA dept with very little development experience grade the code submissions. The feedback given reflects this. I wouldn't bother interviewing with this company.

Interview Questions

• Q. Code challenge was centered around rate-limiting   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Sonos (Santa Barbara, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out on LinkedIn in Santa Barbara and set 1 phone interview and didn't call me. I followed up and we rescheduled, she didn't call me the second time or follow up. She reached out to me first! Very unprofessional!

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sonos (Boston, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone call with HR, HR will talk about the company and your background. Then it will be a code test after call. After submit the code, there will be some follow up question.

Product Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sonos (Santa Barbara, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Full day interview, some via zoom with Boston office employees. Met with multiple levels on the team. 1 on 1 1 hour interviews. Everyone was very friendly.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sonos.

Interview

Started with applying online, then making a video, video interview, and then full day on-site. All travel and food expenses are reimbursed. The onsite day included 4 interviews and a lunch. Also had to make a 10 minute presentation about my passion. Interview questions were straightforward, the team seems to be big on culture fit and how you think through problems.

Voice Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sonos (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received an email for an introductory round. Went through the interview and it was pretty informal. They said to reply back in 2-3 days and have not heard back since 2 weeks. Pathetic process

Interview Questions

• A time when you wanted to find more data for a given issue, how did you handled it?   Answer Question

Embedded Security QA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sonos.

Interview

Had an interview on sonos zoom video conferencing. With my would be supervisior and a person on that team. They reached me through linkedin messenger and scheduled a video conference the next week.

Test Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Sonos (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Process started in November when I applied online and was emailed by a recruiter. They set up a phone screen that was canceled 5 minutes prior to when it was supposed to start and sent a follow-up email that they'd reschedule. I didn't hear back for 2 months, but they reached back out in late January. After two phone screens they booked a flight to Seattle for me to meet the team. I went through several rounds of interviews including a short white board coding question.

The team was all really great and they made the whole experience quite painless and enjoyable.

I signed an NDA and can't go into too much detail, but in the end it appeared like they were more looking for a hands on QA Lead and not a QA Manager.