SoundHound Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 30, 2017

3.3

Director of Mobile Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SoundHound (San Jose, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Spoke with the VP and had a very good discussion. However, the recruiter came back and stated that they wanted a day to day coder. Which, is strange for a director who is managing both products and people.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SoundHound (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me via Linkedin. We scheduled a 30 minutes meeting to introduce the company and the opportunities. Then I am scheduled to have an interview with a senior engineer.

Interview Questions

• 1. Sorting a list of words such anagrams are grouped together.
      Input: ['abc','test','vac', 'bac', 'london', 'cba', 'cav', 'lon', 'pst']
      Output: ['abc', 'bac', 'cba', 'vac', 'cav', 'london', 'test', 'lon', 'pst']

2. Design Twitter algorithm to retrieve top 10 new feeds   Answer Question

Data Quality Language Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SoundHound.

Interview

A phone interview. The questions were mainly about my educational and employment background. I was asked if I had any certificate for translation. I sent an email two weeks after the interview, but there was no response.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SoundHound (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews before onsite, both are not really tough coding questions but need some math thinking. For onsite interview I met 4 people except the recruiter, 2 before lunch and 2 after lunch. The last one is more about team fitting and the others are coding, shell scripting or math questions. I feel I did well in general so I was surprised (disappointed) that I didn't get an offer. But the interviewers are really nice and the recruiter has been very helpful along the process.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SoundHound (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen and then onsite interviews with 3 managers each of whom did a skills based interview. Do of the managers were keenly interested in the outcome of the skills, while the 3rd interviewer did a more informal interview and was looking for more soft skill answers to questions. They all did a good job of assessing my skills in their own way and I would say that their interviews were comprehensive.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SoundHound (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

Phone screen, then onsite. They asked to present the projects you worked on to the audience (panel of 8 persons) for 40 minutes, then 5 1:1 interviews with PMs and designer. All of the asked mostly about previous experience and asked questions about SoundHound.

Important: after an on-site interview, there were no feedback or follow-up with "Yes" or "No" answer. Recruiter will likely ditch you if you are not a fit. They read messages but never answers.

Interview Questions

• Improve SoundHound app for Android   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SoundHound in September 2016.

Interview

After getting through an online screen which involved answering simple Java questions, the recruiter scheduled a phone screen.

The interviewer didn't seem to have a good grasp of the practical implications of problem he asked. It seemed like of of those interviewers who are looking for a particular answer in their mind and cannot grasp/discuss others.

Interview Questions

• What are your suggestions for Hound app.?
      A question related to combinatorial math (like knapsack problem).   Answer Question

Senior Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SoundHound in July 2016.

Interview

I was reached out by a recruiter. I don't work in the ML/NLP space. So that aspect was new to me. The interviewer wanted to find out how much I knew about the company. They do have a voice-recognition app that is analogous to Siri, Google Now etc and a music recognition app that is similar to Shazam. I had only seen a demo on youtube and didn't try out their apps. I work at a startup and getting time for things is a little hard. I was honest about it. But the interviewer seemed to suggest that that was a bad excuse and gave me a hard time for it. I can only imagine what it would be like to work for him. Granted, I didn't start SoundHound and couldn't share the same passion as the folks who work there do but I didn't expect to admonished for that. Also, I felt like there were some loaded questions like "You went to a couple of places X and Y, how good do you think you are in Data Structures and Algorithms? You don't have any experience in ML/NLP, how do you think you can contribute to SoundHound?". It seemed like the interviewer hadn't take the time to look at my resume because not a single question related to my background was asked to me. I would try to stay away from this place.

Interview Questions

• Nothing particularly very difficult. An open-ended design question followed by a coding question. I felt like I could have give a better answer for the design problem but compared to the rest of the interview that wasn't the worst part.   Answer Question

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SoundHound (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

15-20 minute phone interview with recruiter which was very pleasant and covered the process as well as company background, 30-45 minutes of technical questions plus some scripting with one of the other Engineers/SysAdmins (which is what I'll refer to them as it's really what they are) then a full day of on-site interviews with the VP of Ops then a few members of the operations team, the Project Manager and finally the CTO. The technically side of the interview was good, the rest was slightly concerning. Running 1000+ machines with what I would consider a bare bones operations staff (5 people) had me a little concerned (but a little excited, hey how often do you get to build out a brand new config management from the ground up?) but other than that nice people, neat environment. Frankly not all that broken up that I didn't get an offer (fairly certain they did not like my salary requirements lol), lots of other fish in the sea.

Interview Questions

• Write a script to enumerate a string of characters, all variants moving forwards only with no repeating characters   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The programmer interviewers asked very obscure questions about features that most programmers rarely use or consider, apparently with the intention of eliminating me rather than assessing my practical skills. They also asked some insulting questions I shall not repeat.

The founder I spoke with seemed quite desperate to hire-- I can see why. His current employees are undermining the hiring process and probably the company.

Interview Questions

• Here are some obscure facts that no one knows or ever uses... do you know them?   Answer Question