Southwest Gas Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Southwest Gas Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2017

Engineering Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Gas.

Interview

Applied online via their website for intern postings. Received a call to set up a phone interview a week or so later for that same week. Phone interview was with two supervisors of different departments that were looking for a computer science intern for the summer. Personality based interview. Not very technical; only asked what programming languages I know and my level of confidence with each. Got the call with the offer a week and a half later. Started the onboarding process with the temp agency two weeks after that.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through the logic you used when you had to analyze a difficult project.   Answer Question
    • What would you do in the situation where there was incorrect or missing data on documents?   Answer Question
    • What does 'exercise wise use of employer's time' mean?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Gas (Las Vegas, NV) in January 2017.

Interview

Basic personality questions. Nothing technical, other than to describe the work I have done with the technologies mentioned on my resume. They were very nice. Declined offer due to previous commitments.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Gas (New York, NY).

Interview

One of representative called and mailed me regarding to interview time and location, also some instruction of parking. On that day, it was an hour long interview. The result was notified via a phone call.

Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Gas (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

1. On-line job application
    2. 30 min phone interview with 2 interviewers. General questions about the company, "tell me about yourself", etc.
    3. Approximately 3 hr in person interview with panel of 3 interviewers (2 engineering + 1 HR) each taking turns asking questions and taking notes.
    4. 5 min presentation. Subject matter is provided before the interview giving you time to prepare.

Interview Questions

• Interviewers follow a set list of questions and take turns asking you while all interviewers take notes. Many situational type questions, some behavioral, and a few technical. Writing ability is tested as well. Inflexible in terms of scheduling interview dates. Unnecessarily challenging interview.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Gas.

Interview

The interview was very laid back. The hiring manager took me into a conference room and he was accompanied by two other managers from within the department. They asked the basic situational questions and asked about my personality. I got called in for a second interview a week later which turned out to be lunch with two workers from that department. The purpose of that was just to gauge my manners and to get to know me a little better, after lunch I went back to the conference room with the hiring manager and I asked him a few questions and was then told I would be notified within a week if an offer would be made. Since the moment I applied for the position till the offer was made, the process took about two months.

Interview Questions

• Do you like to check the weather?   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Southwest Gas.

Interview

I received an email after applying and was notified that I was selected for a phone interview. I did well on the phone interview and was invited to do an in person interview. The in person interview was in front on three managers. A presentation on the company was also given.

District Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Truckee, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Gas (Truckee, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Interview with two supervisors from neighboring districts. Informal and comfortable interview, they write down your answers and score them after the interview, hiring is based on answer scores. They ask situational and gas industry related questions for this position. They where mostly related to safety, finding and repairing leaks, emergency situations and customer service. I tried to use the STAR Approach from my experience in past interviews with other utilities, but it was not required.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had a disagreement with your supervisor, how did you handle it?
      What is flow and lock?
      If you responded to a reported gas leak what is the first thing you would do?
      What can you do without first clearing it with a supervisor?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Wage is pre set for this position, no negotiation. May be different for other positions.

Operations Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Southwest Gas.

Interview

After applying through an employee referral. I had a Phone call from HR to come take a computer (excel/word/typing speed) test, I then had a conference call with 2 managers where they asked what I knew about the company and about 10 easy questions about myself. I then had a face to face with 2 district managers, they had me do a presentation, and example memo to write. The interview in total took about 2.5 hours with tons of basic questions about the company and past experiences.

Interview Questions

• All about personality, what you know about the company, generic scenario questions.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Southwest Gas in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and they called me to set up testing the next week. Took the test on Friday, it now Tuesday and I'm so anxious!! The test was very easy, has to type at least 25wpm, data entry which were both timed. You had like 3 mins to complete those sections. Then you had spelling and has to get at least 70% and math at least 80% and then customer service scenarios where you had to pick the best answer, which was pretty much common sense. These weren't timed. Each tells you your score so you know if you passed or not. The lady who was giving the test was very nice and laid back and made you feel comfortable, maybe too comfortable because she wad obviously chewing her gum while talking to us which I thought was unprofessional. But that took the pressure off the situation for me. Still waiting for a callback.

Engineer II Interview

Interview

Online application, phone interview 45 min and then final interview 3 hrs . After that they don't think courtesy to write back. We are looking for job but that does not mean you can play with us. I feel like that is just mock interview . Most worse interview process ever.

Interview Questions

• All behavioral, technical and calculation Computer skills and final 5 min presentation.   Answer Question