Southwest Research Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Southwest Research Institute Interview Questions

Updated May 25, 2017

2.8

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Research Institute.

Interview

I was introduced to everyone in team (6 people) and had about 30 minutes to speak with each of them. It was more to see if I was a good fit for the team after they had established I was qualified for the position

Interview Questions

• Where do I want to end up in 5 years? What was my favorite course? They asked me about my senior thesis   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Research Institute (San Antonio, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later I got an email offering an in person interview. They flew me to San Antonio. Payed for hotel and car rental. Asked me to give a half hour presentation. It went well. I presented to different engineers. They asked a lot of questions while I was presenting. Overall it was a wonderful experience. They said I was still in college technically not an engineer yet. But for now I will have to just wait.

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Research Institute (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Applied online to a couple of postings, received notice a couple of weeks later that they wanted to bring me on-site. One division was unavailable to speak with me on the date that I was going to be on-site, so I set up a phone call with them.

HR was extremely friendly and helpful in getting travel and lodging set up, and coordinating everything else. Interviewed with several divisions, each consisting of several one-on-one or panel interviews. One division required a 30 minute presentation on a technical topic of my choice. Within a week I was notified I had offers from the divisions.

Nice people and interesting work, but ultimately decided to go for another offer.

Interview Questions

• What aspects of engineering do you hate the most?   1 Answer
    • How would you profile the processor utilization of a process on an embedded system?   1 Answer
    • Lots of behavioral questions, questions regarding career advancement.   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about working in multi-disciplinary teams?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Research Institute (San Antonio, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I interviewed on my campus with someone from HR, then was invited down to San Antonio for an on-site, day-long interview with the group I applied to. I met with directors in the morning who wanted to hear about my interests. I gave a 20-30 minute presentation about a topic of my choice (past internship experience & senior design project), then had a series of mostly 2:1 interviews with people in the group. There was no real structure to it and each set of interviewers kind of did whatever they wanted, including taking me on a campus tour.

Interview Questions

Decided San Antonio wasn't my cup of tea.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Southwest Research Institute (San Antonio, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

I interviewed with 12 people, it was a very intense process. I also gave a 30 minute presentation on my Master's degree. Each person interviewed with me for 30 minutes each. The process lasted an entire day.

Student Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Blacksburg, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Research Institute (Blacksburg, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

Met an HR rep at a campus recruiting event, submitted a resume, and was called later that day to set up an in-person interview. The in-person interview was with the same representative, who was not an engineer by profession but was well versed in many technical areas. The interview questions were pretty standard, inquiring mostly about background and prior work experience. The interviewer was very easy to talk to and wrote down a lot of what I said. There were no technical questions. The whole interview only lasted 30 minutes. I was contacted over the phone about 3 weeks later to set up a phone interview with the manager of a project. The phone interview was basically the same, although it went a bit deeper into the details of previous work experience. Again, no test or technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the project you worked on at your last internship. What was your role?   Answer Question
    • (Phone Interview): What inspired you to begin working in this area of engineering?   Answer Question

Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Southwest Research Institute (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

when one interviews (only after an extensive test pass) you will most like be interviewed either with a panel or multiple people usually off the cuff type interview, but usually very casual, low key ,to the point to discuss actual workplace type duties

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Research Institute (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

Applied using the campus career center and was selected for an on campus interview a couple weeks later. Had a 1:1 interview with someone in HR. Discussed my background and current work, also talked about the specifics of some of the different groups at SwRI and what they do/who they hire/etc. Was told to go online and apply to a specific position. Haven't heard anything back.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous industry experience, and what made you decide to come to grad school.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a project you worked on where you encountered a difficult team member--explain the situation, what you did, what happened, etc.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Research Institute (San Antonio, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Received an initial phone call after applying on-line. After the initial phone call, a more in-depth phone interview was set up. The phone call was about thirty minutes and they asked me a couple of questions and talked a little about the company and the work they do. After the phone interview, I was invited to a series of interviews on campus. The on-campus interviews took about four hours. I had to give a twenty minute presentation and meet with about four people individually, and one group interview where five employees interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• Basic knowledge of Java. Abstract class vs interface, instance method vs class method, etc.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Southwest Research Institute.

Interview

First interview of the phone, followed by a technical presentation to pears and 1:1 interview. During the technical presentation a large group of pears will ask technical question in detail.

Interview Questions

• How do you fill about writing proposals   1 Answer