Southwestern Advantage Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 16, 2017

2.4

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Southwestern Advantage (Lubbock, TX).

Interview

3 day, 3 interview process. Waste of 2 hours each day, didn't really disclose what the job was until the 3rd day. Being in college, in search of a first internship, I thought this was a good opportunity..it wasn't. It's door-to-door selling of textbooks throughout the whole summer. Unless you want bad hours and a really low base pay, do not take this job.

Salesperson Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Southwestern Advantage (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

When I was in college, I was invited to attend a "select" group interview for a "summer internship." Well, I printed my resume and put on nice clothes and went to attend this special meeting. When I got there, I seated myself in a group of 20-25 other students my age and listened to a truly incredible spiel. The Southwestern representatives waxed poetic about how much money their workers made, but never actually told us what we'd be doing if we passed their "rigorous application process."

I started to get suspicious after the first time they said "If you think you're not up to this, this is your chance to leave. Please go if you feel you're not good enough for this internship." This is a CLASSICAL psychology trick that gets people to say "Well, I am good enough for anything! I won't leave like those other weak people. I'll show them!" I realized this at the second round of "You should leave now if you think you can't handle this." Reading the reviews from past workers, I am glad - I've dodged a bullet!

Interview Questions

• How well can you hold up under 60+ hour work weeks and high-pressure sales environments?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Southwestern Advantage in February 2017.

Interview

They're honest about how hard it is. But they still try to sell it up to be better then it is. They make the job seem more selective then it is.

Interview Questions

I decided it wasn't for me and opted instead to stay at home for the summer working with a local company.

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Southwestern Advantage (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was conducted by a young guy that was the definition of a door to door sales man. He made it seem like the job was amazing and was easy to do. The program is over the summer and it's mostly geared towards college kids. They take you to Tennessee to do training and then they put you to work from 8 am to 10pm going door to door selling learning equipment. This isn't something they state on their job description. I feel weird about it and I ultimately said no to the opportunity. Maybe there is lots of people that would be able to do this, but it's not for me.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Southwestern Advantage in April 2016.

Interview

The interviewer was nice enough. He talked about how great the internship was. He basically just asked me about myself and then asked about a followup interview. Originally I accepted the followup interview. However, after some online research I realized that it was really more a door to door salesman type of thing so I declined going to the followup interview.

Independent Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Southwestern Advantage (Oklahoma City, OK) in April 2016.

Interview

3 interviews. They dig really deep into the WHY of doing such a difficult job. Each interview is designed to get tougher and tougher which means that students get weeded out as the questions get deeper and deeper. This is good because kids who don't really want to do this SHOULDN'T do it.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do this over all your other summer options?   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Southwestern Advantage (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2016.

Interview

there are three interviews and all of them were in person for me. they pretty much explain what they do in each interviews but every interview is more in depth and more specific. they ask you about what your interests are and why would you want to work for the company

Salesperson Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Southwestern Advantage.

Interview

It was three interviews focused on how you can lead. Each interview becomes a little more challenging. The more interviews you go through the more important the person is who is interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Demonstrate your leadership   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Duluth, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Southwestern Advantage (Duluth, MN) in September 2015.

Interview

Very high pressure interview pressure. They find your emotional weaknesses and exploit them, giving you no time to respond into a high pressure yes or no.

They mend your will and emotions to get what they want, cheap labor. You get brainwashed into believing that door-to-door selling is not THAT bad. Ha. Don't fall for it.

Intern Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Southwestern Advantage in May 2015.

Interview

Very easy going, want to get to know you on a personal level and why you want to do something like door to door sales and lasted about five sessions