Specific Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Specific Media

2.5

Sort:

Campaign Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Specific Media in July 2014.

Interview

I was referred to the company by someone who had worked there and was contacted within a few days of sending in my application. An HR person/recruiter asked me a few questions about why I was considering leaving my current position as well as my salary needs. He quickly called back to schedule an in-person interview. I interviewed with two department/territory managers and was given a math quiz. The interview itself was a little cold. The people who were interviewing weren't particularly friendly or open and I felt like the few questions they did ask didn't give me an opportunity to discuss how my current position, though in a different industry, actually overlapped quite well with the needs of their department. They also spent the majority of the time just talking about the position and the company rather than asking questions about my background. I just had the general impression that they were interviewing other candidates as a formality and already knew who they were going to pick. Given that so many people there went to the same universities, were in the same frats/sororities, and worked at the same agencies, it seems that offers are extended to those who are most connected. In the end, I didn't even get a phone call or e-mail saying they were going with someone else.

Interview Questions

• The one random question I was asked was if I have a need to hold a leadership position or am I fine with giving up control. Kind of a weird question given the position wasn't a leadership position and when I asked about promotion potential, they gave a vague answer.   Answer Question

Campaign Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Specific Media (Irvine, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

3 interviews and digital math test. they were 90 minutes each. They first send an email, then set up an onsite interview with 2 hiring managers they give you a skill test. Lastly you interview with the region manager

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Specific Media (Irvine, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

I interviewed twice, both times Specific Media was very accommodating to my current work schedule and understanding of the need of discrete communication when they called me during regular work hours. The interview process was great, I was greeted by the receptionist, offered a drink, and met with the friendly interviewers. Each time I met with two new people, mostly those I'd be working with.

The process was well organized, the only suggestion I would have is that for the NDA, they need to let us know that they need all that documentation well before the start date, unfortunately I was pulled out of training a few times to sort that out.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your weaknesses? ( yes I know this is a standard question but on the spot it was hard to answer.)

Also the marketing based math test, although I did quite well, it was like I was back in school getting a pop quiz. They did tell me at the beginning of the interview I would take it at the end of the interview however. It's pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Straight forward, discussed current/desired salary at the end of the second interview, however when it came time for the offer phone call the salary was non negotiable at that point.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Specific Media in January 2011.

Interview

Phone interview first, than one week later on site interview. It was 1:1 interview with 5 people. It was Java/PHP guys ask me C# question, so wan't too difficult to me.

Revenue Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Specific Media (Irvine, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Company dragged their feet when it came to setting up a second interview for me to meet the controller of the department I would be working with. They decided to not interview again. I emailed them asking why I was denied employment. They refused to communicate further with me.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Specific Media.

Interview

This was a very easy interview with 2 managers. I don't remember speaking with the director at the time. I was in and out in no time. They basically hired me on the spot. I really needed a job at the time, so that was helpful.

Interview Questions

Interview

By far the most difficult and emotionally challenging application/interview process I've ever gone through. I will be scarred for life. I got through an initial HR phone screening, 2 phone interviews, an online SQL test (far more difficult than the Oracle 1Z0-047 certification), and two in-person interviews. Between every step, silence from Specific Media where I was sure I wasn't going to get the job (and at the end, I was right about that). I'll have the rest of my life to ponder what I could have said or done differently. It probably would not have hurt to be 10 years younger. I also screwed up in asking for my fair market value, it would have been smarter to first research the salaries right here on GlassDoor, you can see that Specific Media is coming in on the low side for most positions and apparently retaining people with the outstanding atmosphere (which I got a good sense of when I was there, it really looks like a great place to work, except wow, they have everybody in open desks crowded in together, you would have to really like your coworkers).

Going in, be aware that once they rule you out for the job, you will never hear from Specific Media again. Total silence. No nice email with "we were impressed with your resume but found somebody else", no returned phone call, no returned email. I guess I can respect that.

Update: the situation got a little stranger when I applied (through Dice) for another job at Specific Media. I got a call within a minute from the Specific Media recruiter. I told him that I had been turned down for a previous job, and it turned out that the position I was applying for was a re-branded version of the exact same job I had applied for 2 months earlier. We agreed that I had the perfect background, he said he would check what had happened with my previous application and would get back to me that afternoon. Didn't happen, and I never heard from Specific Media again.

Interview Questions

• I'm going to be a little vague on the most difficult question, it was bizarre and off the wall and by far the most difficult question I've been asked in any interview ever. This will be the one where I have the rest of my life to ponder what else I could have said. It was a very specific question about a problem the department was having, a problem where there was an apparent culture clash, and a problem which I would be expected to fix. This was extremely funny, because I have some recent experience with this exact cultural difference manifested in the exact same way. Obviously I wasn't going to mention anything so politically incorrect in an interview. Instead, I came up with some good platitudes. I guess they weren't good enough.   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Specific Media in September 2010.

Interview

1:1 interview

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Specific Media (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Very easy, dont think the interviewers were prepared. When i asked what the best thing was with the company they answered "drinking beer on Fridays" . Show interest and you should be ok.

Accounting Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Specific Media in January 2012.

Interview

The corporate culture at Specific Media will attract young professionals and it has a start-up feel environment. Their office is contemporary and hip. Based on the interview and requirements for the role, to succeed the person needs to be able to adapt to change and be ready to be challenged since they are continually growing through numerous company acquisitions.

Interview Questions

• Describe the characteristics of a great manager and how would you rate yourself?   Answer Question