Steel Dynamics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Steel Dynamics

2.3

Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia City, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Steel Dynamics (Columbia City, IN).

Interview

4 interview process

Interview Questions

• what can you offer that someone else cant   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Steel Dynamics (Fort Wayne, IN) in March 2016.

Interview

I was a simple two interview process. The HR specialist was present as was the Vice President of Safety and Human Resources. They were both very nice but also strait forward. It was a good learning experience

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Steel Dynamics (Fort Wayne, IN) in January 2015.

Interview

Panel interview with the audit team, conversational, they were all extremely nice and made me feel welcome. They all took turns asking me a question and didn't try to trip me up and confuse me. Like I said they were all very nice

Interview Questions

• What type of sports team would I fit in on Basketball, football, or baseball   1 Answer

Negotiation

easy

Accounting Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Steel Dynamics.

Interview

Pretty simple, got asked about my prior experiences. Asked about my resume and what I see my self doing in the future. Great company that truly cares about their employees.

Interview Questions

• What type of projects have you worked on in the past internship?   1 Answer

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Steel Dynamics (Fort Wayne, IN) in March 2018.

Interview

1 hour phone interview, 4 hour first round in-person interview, 6 hour 2nd round in-person interview. Multiple personality and math, english, and logic tests. No meal was provided during the 6 hour 2nd round interview despite it being scheduled from 12-6pm (its normal for firms to provide lunch during a long interview like this). Typical accounting position with a finance title to make it sound interesting. Salary level as explained to me by HR was below market and HR failed to mention that 20% of total comp quoted is actually in the form of vested comp which has a vesting cycle of anywhere of 2-6 years ( so your total cash compensation each year without any strings attached is only 80% of the number they tell you). They do not have a 1:1 401k match like every other Fortune 500 company (they will try to sell you on their own person of a 401K employer match but its not a good plan at all). Very typical accounting department staffed with introverts with subpar people-skills. Corporate office was drab and outdated, nothing close to other Fortune 250 companies. Diversity is a big issue, I interviewed with 10 people, only 1 was non-white ( I did not meet any female finance folks either). Its a solid company with good future prospects. I would recommend it but just know what your getting yourself into before signing up. Also, it was made clear to me that despite wanting to hire an MBA, they do not have any promotion schedule or future promotions in mind. You have to hunt around for an open position to get your promotion (it was made clear the position they were hiring for was a dead-end job). Very conversational interviews, nice people, typical kind midwestern folks. My interviews always ran long and behind schedule which wasnt very nice on their part since it showed a lack of care or value of my time. Interesting note, they ask for references and background check sign-off before entering the offer stage. This is not normal nor professional to have candidates disclose their references and legally sign-off on a background check before an offer is made (I have never been asked to do this before an official offer was made). Usually offers are given out contingent on passing a reference and background check and the info needed to run these checks are disclosed by the candidates after the offer is made. All in all, it was a decent experience but I would not rush to work there and I have worked at better places.

Environmental Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, MS

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Steel Dynamics (Columbus, MS).

Interview

The employers did not make me feel comfortable. I did not like the environment. The employers were difficult to talk to. I realized halfway through the interview it was not where I wanted to work.

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, MS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Steel Dynamics (Columbus, MS).

Interview

Laid back interview wanted to see my goals and my passion for engineering. Explained some of my design experience and hands on work. They were easy to talk to. Made me feel comfortable

Process Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Duluth, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Steel Dynamics (Duluth, MN) in August 2014.

Interview

On-line application process, followed by a phone call to confirm interest and to set up a written testing date. The exam consisted primarily of basic math, reading comprehension and spacial association. After passing the exam you would move to the interview phase which was three sessions with one interviewer in each session.

HRIS & Benefits Administrator Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Steel Dynamics.

Interview

Steel Dynamics has an extremely thorough hiring process which moves slowly. At times I waited two weeks between interviews to discover whether or not I was still under consideration. Paper applications are currently in use as the ATS. I visited the worksite four times during the interview process and completed 11 tests. Six were personality tests and five were skill assessments. The interview process was capped off with an interview with the HR & Safety VP as well as an Industrial and Organizational Psychologist. The people who work there seem to really enjoy their jobs but the interview process was unpleasant and frustrating.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Steel Dynamics (Fort Wayne, IN).

Interview

The interview process lasted almost two months and consisted of a phone interview, two onsite meeting with six different individuals as well as personality testing consisting of five lengthy tests along the lines of Myers Briggs and a general essay type question sheet.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about SDI? What are your weaknesses? Tell me about a time when a member of a team didn't do their part on a project, what did you do, how did you solve it? Tell me about a project you were involved in that you feel proud of your contribution? Tell me about a time when a boss criticized your work, what was the outcome? What is your desired salary? When can you start (possibly a question to see if you are loyal to your current employer)? Why do you want to work for SDI?   1 Answer