Steel Dynamics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steel Dynamics President Mark Millet
Mark Millet

1. "Awesome people with great culture."

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Columbia City, IN
    Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Columbia City, IN

I worked at Steel Dynamics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, wonderful trusting people, challenging but rewarding job. Excellent bonuses.

Cons

Travel time, mills in corn fields, difficult to advance or promote.

Advice to Management

Promote and motivate hard working people so they don't leave elsewhere. Don't use bonus system as a leverage, but rather offer higher salaries.

"Exhausting"

Former Employee - Maintenance in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Maintenance in New York, NY

I worked at Steel Dynamics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, quitting time, off time, time not spent within 20 miles of any SDI plant.

The GREATEST DAY at SDI, is that special day you finally break.. You can't wait to get there just to walk in, and say ADIOS Muchacho! I quit!

Cons

SIX YEARS of HELL for me.
    Everything about SDI is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE and sadly, life becomes unbearable.

I QUIT THIS COMPANY and took a PAY CUT just to get my LIFE BACK... It's a rough ride SDI. If you're a skilled worker with years of education and experience, it DOES NOT MATTER. The guys with nothing but a GED and lucky timing will tell you how to perform your duties... Right or Wrong.

SDI Management follows a corporate cookie cutter template for EVERY PLANT ACROSS THE COUNTRY whether it fits or NOT... the old square peg/round hole.

SDI is all about drinking the corporate Kool-Aide. The supervisors are all in "the good ole boys club" and are basically just there to tow the company line. They are the RATS for the plant manager while he's out golfing or drinking.

Supervisors are completely at a loss with how to work with & "supervise" skilled labor/maintenance personnel. They make the job much more difficult and dangerous by telling you how to do your job, even though they have '0' clue.

SDI operates 24/7/365 & you work a 12 hour, 4 on 4 off shift swinging between night and days every week. There are some guy's that like nights and some guy's that like days. DON'T MATTER! You work as part of a crew. There is no Democracy at SDI.

SDI runs a "bare bones operation" so there is NO help if someone is calls off sick or get injured. Someone from a different crew is forced to cover the person missing and has to now work 6-12 hour shifts. The same for vacation coverage. If you get 2 weeks vacation, you are required to cover 2 weeks vacation... So really ZERO time off.

Holidays are 1/2 pay if you are in maintenance, and you are still required to be there to "babysit the plant". They'd NEVER pay for a security guard.

You are only paid the 100% rate only if production is operating. When something breaks (and it's a lot) and you're killed labor you get 1/2 pay while operations sits on their backside.

So basically here's the structure of life at SDI:
     1) SDI = Your corporate overlords
     2) God (cause you'll pray hard for a new job)
     3) Family (See #1 - SDI comes first)

We were told if you don't like it, there's the door so many times, I finally used it. 3 guys I eorked with fir years, also quit.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
    Look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

1). Take a "How to be a DECENT Human Being course" and learn something about actually managing people.

2). Know your boundaries with the skilled trades. Your previous experience flipping burgers & spinning pizza dough, REALLY doesn't make you qualified to be called a "SUPERVISOR".

3). Unions were started because of companies like SDI...

3. "Electrical Engineer"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Pittsboro, IN
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Pittsboro, IN

I worked at Steel Dynamics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good pay and benefits, challenging, rewarding work

Cons

very high pressure to perform, must work quickly, communication is sometimes insufficient

Advice to Management

make sure everyone affected is receives the communication

4. "Poor management staff/ inconsistent behavior and discipline"

Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Steel Dynamics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, Indiana plant excellent management and a pleasure to work for.

Cons

Retained management staff retained from buyout of Severstal are very poor managers. From falseafieng documents, taking kick backs, to physically assaulting an employee (seen first hand) and firing the hourly employee to cover it up.

Advice to Management

Fire remaining Severstal management staff. They are running off some very good employees by fabrication of situations and employee performance.

5. "Summer Grounds Crew"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Steel Dynamics (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money for a college student.
    Word can be difficult but it is all doable.
    Working in teams makes the tasks easier to tackle.
    Friendly individuals in all buildings.
    Everyone is open to an questions you may have.

Cons

It is sometimes difficult for someone to take control of the group, so things can get a little unorganized.

6. "Clerk"

Former Employee - Clerk in Pittsboro, IN
    Former Employee - Clerk in Pittsboro, IN

Pros

Worked at Steel Dynamics on a temporary basis as a clerk. I was compensated fairly as a temporary employee. Mobility throughout the organization is strong. From what i understand it is not difficult to move to better, higher paying positions, or to other locations. Management is very accessible.

Cons

Many positions require less desirable shift work. The steel mill is a very dirty and dusty place. I might be concerned about air quality if I were working in the mill. Geese everywhere.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Environment is very laid back, casual dress code is a plus. I did not work here long, so it I did not gain much insight into the management of the company. It seemed that compensations was very fair and the company made an effort to show employees that they cared for their safety and wellbeing.

"Just a good pay check"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Butler, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Butler, IN

Pros

Pay and did I mention pay?

Cons

Poor moral.. Not many people give to craps about the mill anymore.. work our buts off to achive new tonage records year after year and what we get for a company with a billion in liquid cash? Some of the worst health care insurance in the county.

Advice to Management

Dont do a employee survey and then state that you think the outcome is scewed

8. "Product Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Butler, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Butler, IN

I worked at Steel Dynamics (More than 10 years)

Pros

senior management is incredibly engaged with workforce; salaries, benefits and bonuses are favorable; generally an excellent place to work; able to contribute to the overall success of the organization

Cons

Witnessed circumstances where some were "pigeon-holed" into positions

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Mill Worker in Butler, IN
    Current Employee - Mill Worker in Butler, IN

I have been working at Steel Dynamics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent salary and benifits, great co-workers

Cons

Difficult to obtain promotions. Must be in the "In Club" to move up. Innovation and going the extra mile not appreciated by management. Absolutely no cultural diversity.

Advice to Management

Management needs to get its finger on the pulse of the people in the mills and address the issued described in the employee survey. Company is rapidly slipping from great to mediocre.

10. "Nugget Mill Tech"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Duluth, MN
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Duluth, MN

I worked at Steel Dynamics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked in MN at the nugget plant. pay and benefits were good but unless you were on days the rotating 12s got old. Really enjoyed everyone that worked there it felt more like a family than just a bunch of people you were forced to suffer through shifts with.

Cons

12 hr shifts, production based pay, vacation coverage, and some of the supervisors constant micromanaging

Advice to Management

stop the micromanaging and let the people you promote do the job you gave them and take a persons skills, drive, and abilities into consideration for promotions instead of just considering how much of their lives they contribute to the company.