Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 6, 2017

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) (San Jose, CA).

Interview

3 people on site , one technical lead, the technical manager, the technical director. Interview on Saturday afternoon on site, the lead is nice, other people are rude. They ask me about my experience and resume , nothing related to job description, and algorithm and language syntax.

Interview Questions

• write code about breadth first search and depth first search in any language   1 Answer

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) (San Jose, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I was emailed to setup a phone interview but I did not know if he was going to ask me questions or just invite me in. He called me and asked me questions... for the life of me, I could not understand what he was saying. Afterwards, he sent me an insulting email saying they wanted someone with, "more computer knowledge". Excuse me, but how did you conclude how much I know about computers from you interview masked by a thick accent? The grammer in his rejection email was so bad, I wasn't even sure whether or not he was telling me I got the job at first. IMO, not working here is likely a blessing. I can fully understand why their hiring process generates a majority of employees from a single nationality... I imagine if you speak Chinese you won't have trouble understanding them on the phone because you don't have to communicate in English.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you would fix a server?   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) (San Jose, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

It was a phone interview. Firstly, he asked me something on my resume, and then ask me some questions on computer architecture. After all, he asked me if I have time to the in-person interview. But I did not get any response later.

Production Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

There were four interviewees comes one by time to interview me. The total procedure lasted 3 hours. The first interviewee talked with me a lot about my resume. Most questions were about the resume, I explained in detail. The second one asked me some easy professional knowledge. which were basic in electrical engineering. The third one talked some his experience, easy chatting. The last one also asked me professional knowledge, and gave me several problem let me explain. Then it was over. I felt very comfortable during the interview, the four managers are kind and nice. I think they want to find a person who may not that professional, but have to be nice working with. After 3 weeks, they said they couldn't give me offer because they could not sponsor H1B Visa application. I pointed out my visa status on phone interview, and in the whole process of on-site interview, at that time they didn't mind it. But at the end, they refused me for the reason of visa status. Waste a lot of time.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell one thing that make you feel a great deal of achievement? You may choose not to answer this question   1 Answer

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) (San Jose, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Called me as I was walking on the street without scheduling an phone interview beforehand. Was told that they would get back to me to schedule an onsite interview but never heard back.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) (San Jose, CA).

Interview

1. You need to fill a big form about your background. It took me 15 mins to finish it.
    2. In my case, it was not 1 on 1.
    3. I didn't think the managers knew what type of candidates they were looking for. They told me that I didn't have the background they required and I was not a good fit for the position. However, I still got the chance for the 2nd interview.
    4. The atmosphere was fine. They were friendly. However, they were kinda not flexible. They wanted to hear the specific and exact one-word or two-word answers and couldn't accept my answers explained with several sentences.
    5. The managers need to be trained by HR. I was asked "how did you get your green card?", which was not an appropriate question at interview.
    6. The interview was interrupted and ended by another meeting booked at the next time slot even though I felt the interview was not really finished. (At least I still had some questions wanna ask).

Interview Questions

• "When ....... (a situation) happens, what can you do to solve it? Let me give you a hint. The answer has 2 words!"   Answer Question
    • How did you get your green card? Through a relative?   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) (San Jose, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Onsite interview with 4 people. PM, Product Leader and VP.
    All of them would ask you to introduce yourself first.
    Then, they will test whether you have a good understanding towards the job.

Interview Questions

• Please explain your understanding towards the job descriptions.   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Applied through one of the job boards and received phone interview invitation within 2 days. It was a conference call between 2 recruiters and myself. They went through my resume completely, and mainly they concentrated on projects.

Interview Questions

• Additionally they asked few questions like: what I know about SuperMicro, Server systems etc.,   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) (San Jose, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

1st round went very well, the typical process of describing projects and initiatives on my resume and how they relate to the position. I was called back for a 2nd interview, and this became one of the more depressing and disparaging interviews I have experienced. After a few questions about my resume the interviewer began insuating that I could not have done what I had claimed to do. He started on a narrative of what a not so great place SuperMicro was to work, that they needed to change their culture and this position was set up to challenge their current culture and thus I probably would not be happy here. All while interspersed with continuing to tell me that I did not do what I had claimed on my resume. After 60 minutes of trying to stay positive (for which I was castigated for being positive) a senior level executive came in and asked me what I thought of the company and why I wanted to work there, pretty standard questions. This executive then asked me why i was special, and after I answered proceeded to ask me again why I was special, and followed up those 2 questions by informing me he already had a marketing department so why did he need me? Maybe there was some strategic process behind all of this, or maybe there was some 'gotcha' phrase I was supposed to use to pass? Although I doubt it because as I asked about their company direction as it relates to this position and did not receive a coherent response. I sent multiple followup emails and never heard back.

Buyer/Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Checked in for an interview and they require you to fill out some on boarding paperwork, took about 15 mins. Once my interviewer got me, we went to the meeting room he book but it was still occupied, 5-10 mins of awkwardness as we just stood in the hallway waiting for room to open.. asked me general questions and got another person to come in. She asked me questions that were unfair, one of them was that their suppliers don't speak much English so how would I be able to communicate with them on the phone.. the job posting did not say any other languages were required so this was very unjust. She then went on to get the department manager to interview me next but came back saying she "had to jump into an urgent meeting with the CEO" and that she will email me to set up another time to continue. I knew at that point it was a lie and I wasn't going to hear back from them. Don't waste your time with this place.