Surya Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Surya Interview Questions

Interviews at Surya

2.6

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Surya.

Interview

I applied through a craigslist ad. I was contacted almost immediately by a current analyst with no notice for a phone interview. It was short and the only questions he asked me was how would I rate myself in excel knowledge on a 1-10. I was then asked to drive almost two hours to come in for a in-person interview. I was interviewed by the analyst that called me and a VP of the company. Both were dressed very casually. The analyst wore ripped jeans and a dirty T-shirt, he was also very unorganized and unprepared. Neither of them asked me any question beside if I had any question for them. The only purpose and reason for the interview was to give me an excel test and evaluate me based on that.

For the excel test I was given some data and asked to draw any information I could from it in a specific amount of time. With such a broad request I asked for more info and his response was "thats the test". I after some time he returned with the VP to evaluate my results. The only thing they said about it was that I over looked a minor formatting detail which was irrelevant to my knowledge of how to use excel.

Those were the facts of the interview, now for my opinion. ALL OF THE REVIEWS ARE TRUE! The office looks like a mix of a sweat shop and someones unfinished basement. All of the works look unhappy, and the work environment in general seems unpleasant and extremely cramped. The parking situation is ridiculous even though the office is in the middle of nowhere. People work at high school lunch tables with dividers in between them. The interviewers were HORRIBLE at interviewing and very unprofessional. After seeing the office and interview process I had no desire to work there, so I didn't mind that they never contacted me even though they promised to follow up in a week at the most.

Interview Questions

• The only thing unexpected was that they were more concerned with my secretarial excel skills instead of my analytical excel skills.   Answer Question

Jul 13, 2015 – Director, Human Resources

I appreciate your feedback. Surya has improved the interviewing processes substantially since your comments in 2014.

Anonymous Employee in Cartersville, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Surya (Cartersville, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

First let me start by saying everyone was really nice and the place just gives you good vibes.

There was a 3 interview process. The first interview was a phone screen with the person who would be my direct supervisor. He mostly just went over my resume and asked about me. It was mainly a screen to get to a face to face interview. I got to ask him questions as well. We scheduled the next interview right then for 3 days later.

The best interview was on their office face to face with the same guy. In their lobby you sign in and wait for your interviewer to come get you. Our face to face interview was more in depth. These questions were more situational and required essay type answers. He also asked the standard what are your strength and weakness type questions. He told me what he was looking for in the position and described a day in the life. I asked him a few questions and he told me what the next phase would be if I moved on. I was contacted by email before the end of the work day to set up my final interview. The last interview was for 4 days later.

The final interview was with another department manager followed by a peer interview. This interview lasted nearly 2 hrs due to me meeting with a few people. The other department manager had a list of questions from my hiring manager and he encouraged me to ask him questions which I did. For him I mostly just asked about company culture since he was not in the department I'd be in. He had a good outlook on the company and told me some of the challenges. After we were done my department manager brought in two current account managers to ask me questions and give me an inside look at the position. I asked about his management style and what they really thought of the company. Both of them were upbeat and seemed to love the company
     This third interview was crucial for me because it actually sold me on the company once I talked to other employees. They asked me things about how I was on a team and if I minded hard work.

After this interview the department manager contacted me by phone before the close of businless that day to offer me the position. He gave me his cell number for any questions I might have told me the salary and start date. I accepted. He then explained I could expect to a formal offer letter in a day or two that I would need to sign and return.

The interview process was great in my opinion. I was never confused about the next step. Everyone I came in contact with was happy and seemed to enjoy working there. I researched the company and turned up a lot of good things from that as well. I was asked a few tough questions but nothing crazy. There were no silly personality quizzes or hoops to jump through. I'm excited to join their team!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calhoun, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Surya (Calhoun, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

This is my first review of any potential employer. It was so outrageously disrespectful that I feel obligated to share my experience. If I can help just one person avoid making the career mistake of a lifetime, then I have done my service.

I sent a very brief email to the president on Thursday. I included my resume, stated my sincere interest in the company, and described my background and that I am taking classes online to finish my degree. He replied immediately and we setup a meeting for 10:30am the next Monday.

I arrived at 10:20AM. He didn't arrive until 11:00AM. He brought me back to his office where he feigned surprise that I was taking online classes. He asked if I knew I was applying for a full time job and explained that I cannot dedicate myself to a full-time job and taking two courses online in the evenings. He said I was over qualified for the position. The interview was over about 40 seconds after it began. I think I said a total of 3 sentences during the entire meeting.

I cannot believe I have been so excited about this company. It was on my short list of companies in the area for which I really wanted to build my career. I'm really glad I found out what the company is like now rather than 6-months into a new position.

I had actually read the reviews on Glassdoor a couple of days before the interview. So, I was prepared for an "interesting" interview and even debated on cancelling. If you have an interview with them, you may want to go just for the sheer entertainment value. Think twice about accepting an offer though.

Jul 13, 2015 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to respond; Surya values the feedback. We are revising our interviewing process, with the expectation of eliminating the chance of someone having the experience you... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calhoun, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Surya (Calhoun, GA) in January 2014.

Interview

Emailed resume. Got call/email from Executive Admin for face to face interview.
    Spent 2 1/2 hrs meeting with 4 different employees
    I was not impressed with the expectation that you are expected to work late, expected. You are expected to travel cheaply, stay in cheap motels with strangers. At trade shows, you are expected to work 10 days straight for 12 hrs a day standing on your feet. Being a 100 million dollar company you must still help set up and tear down the 30,000 sq ft showroom. They can afford to hire a company to do that so you can focus on the customers and sales.
    Now do not get me wrong I am not afraid of hard work but I expect to be compensated for it as well as offer some additional incentives.
    You are expected to work in an open yet possibly crammed work space. Everyone on top of each other. No privacy whatsoever.
    There are very few perks if any that I saw. Maybe getting to wear jeans to work. Not sure the salary is up to par either. They have too many employees in two small warehouses. Parking is a major issue. It will be 2 years before they either move to Adairsville or Cartersville. Calhoun is not the best city to live or work in IMHO. There is nothing there unless you have a family. Managers can be expected to be away from home for weeks at a time. You might not want to have a family or be single.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or unexpected questions. I was more that qualified to answer them and more than qualified to do the job. Over qualified I suspect and when I answered the formidable salary question, giving a range from $52,000 and up I saw the color drain from his face.   1 Answer

Accounts Payable Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Surya (White, GA) in September 2016.

Interview

Began With an introductory call and went well and explained work situation and times available to work and was told that it would be fine that they were going to check with the manager and if it was possible they would call me for an interview. An hour later I received a call to schedule an interview and when arrived I told them the same thing that i told them over the phone and was told that they were looking for something else. Made me drive to the office which is in the middle of no where to tell me that they were looking for someone with more availability

Interview Questions

• If i had experience in Excel with pivot charts, t-tables, ect.   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Surya.

Interview

Very confusing and long, you must be interviewed approved by everyone from direct manager all the way through the President/Owner of the company.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a family to rush home to?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't any.

Graphic Design Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Surya.

Interview

Interviewer was pleasant and courteous. Very friendly. She asked me about my work experience and responsibilities at my current job and about my salary requirements. Ultimately, my past and current job experience did not really end up matching what they were looking for in a new hire. The interview lasted maybe 15-20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really difficult or unexpected. Was actually pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Jul 13, 2015 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for the feedback. Surya is not right for everyone, and through the interview process, we work hard to ensure a good fit for both the candidate and for Surya.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calhoun, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Surya (Calhoun, GA) in January 2012.

Interview

Phone interview, then paid my way to Calhoun, GA, for an in person interview. Offered job on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They gave me exactly what I asked for.

Jul 13, 2015 – Director, Human Resources

I appreciate your feedback. Surya has improved the interviewing processes substantially since your comments in 2012.

Prefer Not to Say Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Surya.

Interview

Submitted resume online, a phone interview quickly followed, there was also a couple of in person interviews and some testing of skills pertinent to the position. It was a rather fast process, this company seems to know what they want and what they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• I was challenged on why I wanted to join Surya. My interviewer wasn't satisfied with a stock diplomatic answer, so I was really pushed to express myself honestly.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I was asked my requirements in the interview and that was the offer I was given.

Jul 13, 2015 – Director, Human Resources

I appreciate your feedback. Surya has improved the interviewing processes substantially since your comments in 2013.

Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Surya (Dallas, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Had to interview in person with area manager then did three additional interviews with upper management. The interviews were pretty basic questions relating to sales experience. The upper management interviews took a long while to complete due to there schedules.

Interview Questions

• How would you plan your day to maximize your time?   1 Answer

Oct 9, 2015 – Human Resources

Thanks for your response. It sounds like that process took way too long; we're trying to improve our interviewing, without giving up our need to carefully screen for the kind of team members we want... More