Sylvan Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1.9

Sort:

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sylvan (Baltimore, MD) in April 2011.

Interview

Good, recruiter was professional and approachable. Unfortunately that was the extent of the the likability of the company. Recruiter left shortly after I was hired, as did a majority of employees. Turnover was very high,m due to poor management at the time across all lines.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Quick relatively easy

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sylvan (Baltimore, MD) in May 2012.

Interview

There was 1 round of interviews. The interview was very relaxed, and comfortable, while very professional. If there is any place to have an interview this is it. The interviewers weren't intimidating, but very eager to learn about you and your credentials.

Interview Questions

• What have you done in previous positions that would lend to this position?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sylvan in December 2015.

Interview

Rapid! Call from Sylvan the same day I applied. After brief 10min phone conversation, request for in-person interview the next day. The interviewer was pleasant, casual, easy to talk to. The questions were oriented towards student behavior; no weirdo off the wall Q's like Wyzant nor dreaded "What are your greatest weaknesses" crap. You have to pay for fingerprinting and TB test out of pocket.

Interview Questions

• How has your experience led you to excel at this position? What traits would an ideal teacher have? How would you handle a frustrated/unmotivated student? Student that misbehaves?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sylvan (Kirkland, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

Called and an interview was set up the following week. Gave them my resume and they were impressed with my internships which were in STEM and had nothing to do with teaching. I brought along a sample of some work from university and they didn't even look at it. They said they wouldn't be able to understand it. They did not give me any kind of test to see if I actually knew calculus. I'm pretty sure they only brought me in to make sure I wasn't a creep. They hired me on the spot. Told me I would be teaching advanced math but I ended up teaching first grade through college. They also tried to get me to teach reading (which they weren't supposed to do since I am not a cetified teacher) and study skills but I said no way. Starting pay for teachers is normally $14 but they gave me $15(!!!) because of my advanced background in math. Woo.

Anonymous Employee in Pottstown, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan (Pottstown, PA) in September 2011.

Interview

Questions about experience in the industry, questions about why I wanted to work there, a tour of the facility, a meet and greet with the current staff, an outline of the schedule and the different programs offered. The initial interview was with the director, and then the owner asked a few questions.

Interview Questions

• How long have you been teaching   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sylvan.

Interview

Met with the director of the center. He asked how I would handle different situations and what types of learning/teaching I was most interested in.

Interview Questions

• If you had no more materials to teach a first grader, what would you have the student do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Flat rate.

Teacher Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan (Irvine, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Apply through a friend, got an interview,then got the job. interview was easy and asked very simple questions. Then took a test to see if i can be a teacher.

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to work at sylvan?   1 Answer

Teacher/Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sylvan (Baltimore, MD) in January 2014.

Interview

It was a quick hire. Sylvan is fast when needs staff, I was called to work after a week. My test was to help a high school student to solve a science problem.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I felt comfortable teaching kids or different ages   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Sylvan in December 2015.

Interview

Very simple and straightforward. They ask you a lot about your prior experience with education as well as ability to work with kids of all ages (age range elementary to high school).

Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sylvan (Austin, TX) in December 2017.

Interview

We had to pass subject quizzes and then had a brief face to face interview. I took quizzes on Algebra, Biology, middle school math, US history, and English. I passed middle school math, English, and US history.