The Black Tux Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Black Tux Interview Questions

Interviews at The Black Tux

2.5

Business Development Interview

Interview

Things were initially very amicable and felt promising. I applied online and was contacted for a phone interview shortly afterward. During that interview, the recruiter expressed a higher-than-usual level of interest with my qualifications and compatibility with the culture, promising a phone interview with the hiring manager for early the following week. I was supposed to hear back within the next few days about scheduling, but was not contacted. I sent a follow-up email that went ignored well into the following week, and noticed later that the job was removed from their website.

My second email, where I politely asked where we stood in the process, was answered - wherein they explained in a protracted, nearly step-by-step fashion that they hired someone else because they had been interviewing them for a while. I mean - yes, that’s generally how hiring works, but it was an inappropriate level of detail that I really couldn't do anything with.

Regardless, given that this recruiter seemed as eager as she had about our compatibility, I tried to continue the conversation with them about another open position, but never heard back at all.

Had I not gone so far out of my way to extract an answer, it seems like they would have been content to just ghost out on this. I’m not sure how this can be justified as professionalism, but as big as they are now, it’s hard to fall back on the “we're a startup” excuse.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at The Black Tux (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview was at the office, and lasted about 30 minutes. Very conversational, easy going, and talked a lot about the brand and ideas. I was showed the layout of office and various departments which was nice.

Interview Questions

• Asked about background, what I like to do, experience in marketing. Very friendly and intentional.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was reasonable.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Black Tux (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

Applied online, received email to connect.
    1 phone interview - about 45 min of conversation.
    1 In-person interview in their shop. Spoke with two people; someone in marketing and the CEO.

Interview Questions

• What did you do in your previous role? What type of analytics software did you use?   1 Answer

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Black Tux (Santa Monica, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

Pretty simple interview process. I applied & it took about 2 weeks before they reached back out to me. I got an email asking to schedule a phone interview with their HR department. After that they asked me to schedule another phone interview with their Assistant Controller. Lastly they let me know there is going to be an in person interview to meet the whole team.

Junior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Black Tux (Santa Monica, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

I applied through Glassdoor, and got an email from HR for a phone interview which happened within in the same week. Quickly after that, i talked to the controller on the phone. Next round was on site with everyone from the accounting team, except for the CFO whom i had a video conference with shortly after meeting everyone from the accounting team. everyone was very welcoming, friendly and interested in asking me questions regarding to my past experiences. there were a few technical questions regarding to accounting but they seemed not to difficult. everybody was on time which i liked a lot

Interview Questions

• explain the effect on cash flow, balance sheet, and income statement when a piece of equipment is purchased.   Answer Question

Junior Accountant Interview

Application

Interview

Had a positive interview process with The Black Tux. I had phone interview with member of the department I was applying for. Within a day they contacted me to bring me in for an in house interview to take place the next week. I interviewed with members of the department 1:1 each time and also the VP of Talent Acquisition via Skype at the end. This took about 2.5 hours, which they give you a heads up about before the interview. Everyone there was super friendly so it puts you at ease. For the most part I felt the questions were to guage my personality and work style. There were a few technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you missed a deadline and how you handled it?   Answer Question
    • How do enter the purchase of manufacturing equipment and how does it affect each financial statement throughout the process?   Answer Question

Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Black Tux.

Interview

had a short phone screening then was given several dates in the next two weeks for an onsite interview. there was a slight mistake with one of the dates so i replied for clarification and never heard back. professional company until that happened

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Black Tux (Santa Monica, CA) in July 2019.

Interview

I had one initial phone screen with a recruiter and two phone interviews with the hiring manager and the Director of Product Management. The in person interview was about five hours long, and I met with the hiring manager, a recruiter, five other executives and had lunch with two members of the team. There was SQL test that took about half an hour. No offer received unfortunately but the process was quick and the team was very good at keeping me updated.

Customer Care Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Black Tux (Santa Monica, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online through their website. i was called about 1-2 weeks later by their Customer Care Manager. After the phone call she asked me to come to the office for an in-person interview. I interviewed with her and one other senior employee at the same time. Then I met with the head of operations who is also part of the customer care department. Very casual, they really are looking to make sure you are a good fit with their company culture. I got an email that same day with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience. Describe a time you had to go against your ethics when dealing with a customer?   Answer Question

Creative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Black Tux (Santa Monica, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

I was referred by a co-worker of mine from a prior job (The Black Tux highly values referrals) and immediately scheduled a video interview with the hiring manager via Google Hangouts. About two weeks later, the hiring manager followed up and gave me a creative assignment to complete within a 5-7 day turnaround. Roughly two weeks after submitting my assignment, the company arranged for me to come in for an onsite interview with 7 different employees (some 1:1, some with two people), including one of the cofounders, the hiring manager and other relevant team members. A little over a month later, I received an offer. Other than the 2-3 month timeline from application to offer letter, the interview process was thorough and showed me how The Black Tux makes an effort to recruit the absolute best people, even as a startup. I've been working here a little over a month now and couldn't be happier. If you're looking to grow with a company that is quickly growing, The Black Tux could be the place for you. They invest in their people as much as they invest in their customers (and if you know The Black Tux, you know the customer care team is top-notch!).