The Oregonian Interview Questions | Glassdoor

The Oregonian Interview Questions

2.8

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at The Oregonian (Portland, OR) in August 2016.

Interview

It's no surprise that the majority of reviews of working at the Oregonian on this site are negative. The same can be said for the interview process.

For starters, the interviewer didn't confirm our meeting until the morning of. I had been under the impression that I would be having a 1:1 interview, but upon sitting down in the interviewer's office, I was face to face with a panel of 3 people. Thanks for the heads up...

Although frustrated and surprised by the lack of professionalism displayed thus far, I kept my cool and prepared myself for the team's questions. What I thought would be a conversational session turned out to be the group taking turns reading stale questions off a piece of paper and writing down my responses. I felt like I was being subjected to an interrogation rather than an interview where the company was interested in what I could bring to the table. It came off as just plain disingenuous and robotic. The interviewer even cracked a few jokes about how this was a "grill session."

The way the Oregonian conducts interviews is a textbook example of how a company should not go about the process. Do you really think you're going to get an accurate representation of a candidate's personality and skills by making them feel extremely uncomfortable? The print industry is dying, and if the Oregonian hopes to regain some of its former glory and enter the digital age, they need to seriously go about updating their culture and hiring process. Give people a reason to want to work (or stay working) for your company!

Delivery Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Oregonian (Portland, OR) in August 2015.

Interview

It was a quick one. More of just come in and try it for a night type of interview. You go in. They set you up with a route, put inserts into the paper, bag them, and then head out with an abbreviated route so you can get the feel of it. The next day you do the same thing. Depending on how you did your first night they give you more papers to deliver.

Interview Questions

• Do I want to be a long term employee?   1 Answer

Media Strategist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Oregonian.

Interview

Phone Interview at first through recruiter. Recruiter did not seem to know what the position was for. First interview seems to be very direct. Second interview, rushed (30 minutes?). Offer acceptance from recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Lots of behavioural questions. Be prepared for questions like, tell me about the time when you accomplished something great with XYZ company? What is the difference between SEO and SEM. Are you familiar with Google Analytics? and a lot of What would you do if's...   Answer Question

Digital Sales Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Oregonian (Portland, OR) in May 2015.

Interview

Face to face Q & A in their office and detailed role playing session for 30 minutes ... Nice people and a great facility but now i am not sure of the longevity of the company itself.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach this job ?   1 Answer

Digital Media Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at The Oregonian (Portland, OR) in April 2015.

Interview

The employer didn't even know what position I was interviewing for when I arrived. He was unprepared, and didn't know his own human capital requirements. It was extremely corporate and boring for an ad agency? The building was impressive but the man interviewing me had minimal educational background and got where he is only by being a "yes" man. I was not offered a position as I had no interest in working for that company after hearing the role.

Media Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Oregonian (Portland, OR) in September 2009.

Interview

4 Interviews.
    1) One with HR manager QA
    2) Come to the office and talk to sales manager (QA interview
    3) A full presentation on an ad campaign for a fake business
    4) Talke to the Director (if you made it this far, most likely you got the job :)

Interview Questions

• They ask hypthetical advertising questions as if you are already a sales rep and the interviewer is an advertiser   1 Answer