The Washington Post Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Human Resources Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen with HR. Following that I had a in person interview with the hiring manager. For the final interview, I met with the HM and the team.

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in March 2010.

Interview

Behavioral questions. One with HR and then a second interview with the VP and Counsel.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to collaborate with someone. How did it make you feel?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in November 2011.

Interview

Interaction with the company was fairly slow; I applied in early October and got a response after a weeks week followed by an invitation for an onsite about a month later(with no communication in between). I chose to interview during the holiday season because the company seemed rushed and the whole process seemed poorly assembled. The interviewers seemed ill prepared and it felt like the process was done on the spot. I'm a little salty that it felt like a thrown together interview when I was willing to travel there during the holiday season. After everything the final response was a generic one that resembled one I've received from other companies who chose not to pursue me at all(no phone interview or anything); I guess gone are the days of professionalism, courtesy, and respect. Good luck to other candidates but I wouldn't apply here again.

Interview Questions

• How would you count the appearances numbers of in a list   1 Answer
    • Something about after you've aggregated all the data, per member, in a dataset how would you prevent one member in a dataset with a lot of records from dominating the clustering algorithm vs members with only a few records.   1 Answer

Advertising Coordinator Interview

Application

I interviewed at The Washington Post in June 2013.

Interview

I was made aware of this position through a friend. I emailed my resume to the recruiter and heard nothing. I then sent it through the website and heard back the next day.

I had a phone interview, which the recruiter was late for. I was invited in to meet with her face to face. Lots of behavioral questions. The recruiter didn't get back to me, rather I had to follow up constantly. I emailed and phoned multiple times. I was told I would be contacted in a certain amount of time, no matter what the decision was. Several months later, no one has called.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you dealt with a difficult coworker.   Answer Question

Advertising Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Washington Post in December 2015.

Interview

Interview processed started with a simple phone interview, was offered an in-person interview, however HR failed to answer simple questions so the process ended. Was asked simple questions like why the Post? And where I see myself in a few years. It almost seemed like I asked more questions than HR.

Advertising Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied on company website. Had phone screen with recruiter and then set up in-person interview. Interviewers were 15 minutes late with no forewarning. In-person interview was panel style. Interviewers asked questions from a booklet. They didn't seem prepared. After in-person interview I never heard back from anyone in the company even after following up a few times.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you did not demonstrate a technical skill well?   Answer Question

Web Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC).

Interview

A few days after applying, I received an email to set up an phone screening. At the end of the screening (basic interview questions about your background), I was invited to come into the office for an interview and analytical exercise. I was told the process would take about two hours.

The interview itself was purely behavioral based (i.e. tell me about a time you worked on your own, etc). Very difficult. Then I was given an hour and a half to complete the analytics exercise. Basically they just asked me to look at a set of data and draw whatever conclusions I could from it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to be proactive and what was the result?   Answer Question

Web Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in September 2012.

Interview

I first had a telephone interview asking about questions on my resume. Then I was asked to interview with HR and then had a simulation using excel. I was brought in to have another interview with a consultant and finally saw the manager of whom I would be working with.

Interview Questions

• The interview used questions that often resulted from Situation Action and Result and the only difficulty would be varying examples (Ie name your biggest success in a work experience)   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Washington Post in February 2014.

Interview

Met for an initial phone screening. Screening went very well. No difficult questions. Interviewer touched on a lot of taboo topics, including family and personal life, but it didn't feel prejudiced in any way. No overly difficult questions. More of a conversation than and interview. Set up a skills test, which covered topics not stated in the job description.

Interview Questions

• What are your salary expectations   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC).

Interview

During the on-campus intern recruiting, the interviewer select interviewees after screening resumes. The interview questions were mostly behavioral. The interviewer was nice buy highly selective.

IT Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Washington Post.

Interview

Email, phone, phone, in person. The HR recruiter missed the first call, I followed up and we rescheduled. The recruiter seem to be unprepared or just didn't want to be there, like if they were doing me a favor instead of looking for a good fit for the company. After that, I had a phone interview with the hiring manager and was called in for an in person interview. I accepted a different offer. The HR employee left me with a bad impression in general.