The Washington Post Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 27, 2017

3.1

Social Media Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at The Washington Post (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online, and had one employee referral. One in-person interview, one over the phone and one writing test. Total 3 "rounds" of steps in the interview process. About a month long process. It would have been longer, including writing a “report” on analyzing social and audience data, if I progressed further into the interviewing process. Overall, a fine interview process.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle social in a breaking news situation?   Answer Question

Human Resources Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen with HR. Following that I had a in person interview with the hiring manager. For the final interview, I met with the HM and the team.

Human Resources Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

From the moment I saw the posting, applied, got my first follow up email, first phone screen, single 4 hour interview and finally offer, it took three weeks!

Interview Questions

• Behavior Based interview and an Assessment test that's directly tied to the Job.   1 Answer

Senior Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview that was somewhat technical. I felt like things went well and got good feedback. I was told by my recruiter that they then wanted to bring me in for an in person interview, and a day later received a call from their recruitment staff which told me to be ready for an in person interview in two days and my recruiter would get back to me with the details. Then nothing. I made time for the agreed upon time while waiting for the details ... big mistake on my part. Then I get an email saying the in person has been canceled.

I get not moving forward with a candidate but do not schedule an interview and then cancel completely that is wholly unprofessional. I guess considering all that I am glad I am not working there but still a painfully unprofessional experience.

Interview Questions

• They asked about what are some of the difficulties I ran into implementing Angular at an enterprise level.   Answer Question

Full Stack Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 5 interviews lasting for 6 weeks. First interview was a phone screen with the HR. Second interview was a technical phone interview with one of the Senior Engineers of the team. After these interviews, I was called for a 3 face-to-face interviews. The first interview was with the HR. Second interview was technical with the Hiring Manager. Third interview was with one of the Senior Engineers. The company got back with a response the very next day.

Interview Questions

• Technical Interview:
      Phone: Difference between id and class, Explain Threads, Client side vs Server Side rendering
      Face-to-Face: Design an LRU (Least Recenty Used) Cache, Given an array [[1,2,3], [4,5,6],[7,8,9], rotate it to obtain the following result [[7,4,1], [8,5,2], [9,6,3]].   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Washington Post in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by HR about two weeks later. We set up a phone interview for which the recruiter did not show up. He called me an hour later asking to reschedule. We rescheduled and set up an in person. The recruiter gave me an incorrect contact for security and they wouldn't let me up, and he didn't answer his phone or emails. Finally he got the messages and my interviewer came down to get me. The in person was great, they ask a series of questions that you have to respond to in a specific way (situation, solution, result).

I went on to a second interview which was over skype. The recruiter failed to tell me when it was and scheduled it without my knowledge, I would have missed it had I not followed up. The interview went as well as a skype interview can go, with the same questions from my first interview. I followed up with everyone and never heard back. I have friends who have also interviewed with the Post and had a similar experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you showed leadership

Tell me about a time when you had to work with a difficult person   Answer Question

Advertising Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied on company website. Had phone screen with recruiter and then set up in-person interview. Interviewers were 15 minutes late with no forewarning. In-person interview was panel style. Interviewers asked questions from a booklet. They didn't seem prepared. After in-person interview I never heard back from anyone in the company even after following up a few times.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you did not demonstrate a technical skill well?   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Washington Post (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied on a Thursday, received an email the following Monday evening and had a phone interview later that week. I then had in-person interview with 4 managers the following week, and it lasted two hours and the process that followed took almost two months until I started.

Infosec Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Washington Post in February 2016.

Interview

Confusing at best. The actual interview process went well, however there was a last minute change on their end from the position being remote OK to being on site only. Instead of being up front and honest about it with me they continued on with the interviews knowing that I couldn't possible land the job.

Interview Questions

• Implement a PasswordGenerator   1 Answer
    • How would you implement a cache based system for pulling in weather information?   1 Answer
    • Implement a mixed array sorting algorithm that sorts alpha and numeric values based on where they are in a list. For example, given the list of "10","2", "write", "1", "test", "11" the output should be "1", "2", "test", "10", "write", "11". Meaning each position of the output list should contain data of the input type.   Answer Question

Advertising Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Washington Post in December 2015.

Interview

Interview processed started with a simple phone interview, was offered an in-person interview, however HR failed to answer simple questions so the process ended. Was asked simple questions like why the Post? And where I see myself in a few years. It almost seemed like I asked more questions than HR.