The Washington Post Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Human Resources Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen with HR. Following that I had a in person interview with the hiring manager. For the final interview, I met with the HM and the team.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Washington Post in May 2018.

Interview

Sr. Developer role working strictly on front end code. Role was for React.js development. I have a plethora or react development and thought, pft, piece of cake. I get there for my final interview and their "challenge" was a "do this menial thing...in codepen." Yea... codepen. No react developer worth their salt is going to fumble around in codepen for the sake of your challenge. The task was ridiculously easy, but they provided a 12" macbook and a CODEPEN to complete it in. A third of the time I spent struggling to work on a 12" screen on someones personal macbook with inverted scroll, the other third spent battling codepen, and the last third conducting the challenge in vanilla JS because a react base solution in codepen is impossible and frankly, not smart. The kicker? The interviewer blatantly admitted they didn't even know what react was let alone worked in it.

Anyways, after I successfully drove through that disaster, I asked them what their biggest challenge was, to of which they answered "we are severely understaffed and work life balance has taken a hit from it." You think they'd be desperate for devs. Nope. Didn't macgyver a react solution into a codepen for them which was the dealbreaker. Bad buy Jeff Bezos...

Interview Questions

• When was a time you were most dissatisfied in your career?   1 Answer

Customer Care Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC).

Interview

My resume was sent to the company and an interview was scheduled. I went in a met with two women and they asked me a series of questions. I got a call a few days later saying I was selected for the job.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

IT Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Washington Post.

Interview

Email, phone, phone, in person. The HR recruiter missed the first call, I followed up and we rescheduled. The recruiter seem to be unprepared or just didn't want to be there, like if they were doing me a favor instead of looking for a good fit for the company. After that, I had a phone interview with the hiring manager and was called in for an in person interview. I accepted a different offer. The HR employee left me with a bad impression in general.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interview with hiring manager then move on to the next level of management. Questions center around projects you have worked on or results you have achieved. For focused on action and results.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked in a group setting and contributed to the outcome?   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online through an employee referral, and heard back from the recruiter that same day to set up an initial phone call. After speaking with the recruiter, we set up a technical phone screen for the following week, in which I spoke with the Software Development Managers from two different teams with similar job openings. The phone interview was a combination of questions about JavaScript and JS frameworks/libraries, general application troubleshooting, and higher-level software development architecture. There was also time to ask the interviewers questions. We set up an in-person interview for the next day, but be ready to drop whatever plans/work you have because they only gave me one-day notice for the in-person interview. The in-person interview consisted of three parts: general interview with the recruiter; technical interview with a developer in which I had to apply my knowledge on software development architecture; and a combination general/technical interview with two managers in which I had to apply my knowledge of JavaScript and general problem solving, followed by questions about how I would respond to different situations. I received my offer later that day!

Interview Questions

• They thoroughly tested me on my knowledge of ES2015 and JavaScript best practices.   Answer Question

Video Editor/Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in July 2017.

Interview

I had four separate 15-30 minute interviews. Some were 1-on-1 interviews, others were 3-on-1 interviews with the big dogs/higher ups. The entire process was a few hours. I had a tour of the space and met my potential co-workers.

Social Media Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at The Washington Post (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online, and had one employee referral. One in-person interview, one over the phone and one writing test. Total 3 "rounds" of steps in the interview process. About a month long process. It would have been longer, including writing a “report” on analyzing social and audience data, if I progressed further into the interviewing process. Overall, a fine interview process.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle social in a breaking news situation?   Answer Question

Utility Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Springfield, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was average. The hiring process wasn't so bad. They did a background check and the results took a few days to come back. Then I had to do a urinalysis drug test at a clinic around the corner. That process took about an hour. Then I had to go back to the Post to do a hearing test.

Human Resources Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

From the moment I saw the posting, applied, got my first follow up email, first phone screen, single 4 hour interview and finally offer, it took three weeks!

Interview Questions

• Behavior Based interview and an Assessment test that's directly tied to the Job.   1 Answer