The Washington Post Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in August 2019.

Interview

Not too lengthy and very informative. Did the basic steps for most interviews, phone then face to face. Asked a lot about the interest in the Washington Post as well as previous experience.000

Interview Questions

• What first drew you to work for a place like the Washington Post?   1 Answer

Human Resources Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Washington Post.

Interview

I applied online. And I couldn't believe it and was jumping for joy when I got an email from the recruiter reaching out asking when we could connect. I gave her some times, and she confirmed. Six hours before the interview, she writes me saying 'can we do tomorrow instead of today?' I say fine. The next day, 30 minutes before the scheduled interview..., another email apologizing saying can I do a week from now instead. I say fine, but ask for a different time than she proposes. We go back and forth and virtually she is just too busy for anything other than what she is proposing, so we schedule for another week away. The day of the interview, silence on my email and phone. I ping her on email, no response. Finally about 10 minutes into the interview she calls. It feels rushed, we end at the scheduled time, and we go over a series of general questions. She tells me on the phone to give her my availability via email after we hang up for yet another chat with her...which will be more of a 'deep dive' into my experience. I immediately follow up with my experience via email. 6 days go by, nothing. I ping her. Nothing. Another 2 days go by. I ping again as I had carved out the times I had proposed, and needed to know if I had to keep them available. She responds she's just been too busy and she'll reach out when she can. About 2 weeks go by. I ping. She responds immediately to let me know she'll be in touch shortly. Nothing for 15 more days. I'm unemployed, dying to work for a brand name Company and one with otherwise great Glassdoor reviews, and desperately check in again. She responds within 10 minutes to let me know interviews are still happening...and she'll have an update in a few days. At this point I've given up. I've never been lead on for so long. Two months of emails and only one 20 minute phone interview!! I am so incredibly disappointed as I was just so happy to even get an interview and then all of this happened. I expected better. People work here! People complete the interview process! How come I couldn't? And why would you tell me I'm moving forward and just keep up the ghosting? It was incredibly unprofessional, and I expected more from The Washington Post. I cannot believe this job is still posted to this day, 3 months later. I really would have loved to have been considered, and instead I just got jerked around.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Washington Post.

Interview

I did a recruiter screen, a take-home coding interview, an in-person technical interview with the development team, and then a behavioral interview with the management team.

The phone screen was to make sure I had the skills listed on the job description. The coding interview was a take-home that required me to build a REST API application in 48 hours. The technical interview was to talk through my approach to the coding interview and ask me about the technologies I knew and could bring to the team, and the behavioral interview was team fit and motivations.

I actually enjoyed the process, Fair, challenging, but really quick. The recruiter screen really was the toughest part.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a project that you knew was a success and tell us how you figured that out   Answer Question

Application

Interview

I applied online and received a call within days. 2 interviews. One with HR the 2nd with the hiring managers. I received an offer after about 2 weeks. They did my background check and I which was quick and I started right away. Training took about a week and was very thorough.

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Washington Post.

Interview

HR contacted me after I submitted my resume. It was quite simple. Then I got another round with hiring manager for 45 minutes. They asked about the projects I've done before and told me the role and the team.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Washington Post.

Interview

Fairly normal interview albeit interviewers were young and seemed inexperienced. Totally ghosted afterward. It has been months since the in-person interview and I've sent multiple emails requesting closure to which the recruiter Rich T has not responded. Getting rejected is bad enough, but for a company to not even give the dignity of feedback after a job applicant spends a half day on an interview is inexcusable. I cancelled my WaPo subscription.

Full Stack Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Washington Post (New York, NY) in March 2019.

Interview

Very long but necessary to know the team members that you are going to work with.
    Total 4 rounds.
    First round (phone) was with HR to get to know why you are applying.
    Second round (phone) was with the Director of Engineering and go over the technical skills mention in the resume
    Third round (video call) for 2 hours with the Director of Product and senior engineers to go over how well you fit in the team
    Fourth and final round: Take home exercise and it will take you roughly 7-8 hours to finish it. No time limit but had to submit it with in a week.

Digital Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Washington Post.

Interview

I received HR call and then was given a task to complete. It was an analysis of some simulation to perform. Also, I was asked to create a presentation and present it to the Manager

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC).

Interview

Given an employee referral, I was contacted by a recruiter through email to set up a brief phone interview/screen. A day later I connected with an alternate recruiter (he was 20+ mins late to call and seemed disinterested for the entirety of the 5-8 mins we spoke) by phone. Thereafter, I was called in for an interview at the WaPo headquarters in DC with the executive I would be supporting. The conversation started with my sharing of my background and professional experience (connecting the dots how both related to the job duties)—and progressed towards a series of behavioral questions. The executive was passionate, curious and pleasant. The interview didn’t feel stellar but I walked out feeling good regardless. More than being disappointed that I was not selected to move unto the next stage of the hiring process (since in all honesty the cold and disengaging interactions with the WaPo recruiters up to that point had turned me off of the organization), I was saddened that no one had the decency to be in touch letting me know that an alternate candidate had been selected. After making time to meet onsite with their team, it would’ve been common courtesy to send an email. Disappointed since I had previously heard that the culture at WaPo had exceedingly deteriorated after being acquired by Amazon—but was I hoping that my experience would prove different. Disheartening but glad I didn’t end up there since the hiring process is often reflective of company culture.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenging time at work and how you were able to rise to the occasion and succeed.   Answer Question

Product Owner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Washington Post (Washington, DC) in December 2018.

Interview

Product Owner interview for Arc team.

30-minute phone interview with hiring manager

4-hour onsite interview, which covered: - 2 hrs of behavioral questions with HR, hiring manager, and product owners on team. - 1 hr presentation (and you're given an hour to prepare for it).

Arc team has a start up vibe. Everyone was so chill and friendly. Interview felt like a conversation. Considering the pleasant demeanor and kindness of everyone, I was shocked that going on a month now since my onsite, I never received follow up. I would've hoped that the 4 hours I took out of a work day would have warranted that bit of thoughtfulness. Clearly, I didn't get the job, but at least telling me and some feedback on where I did wrong would've made the process a positive one. I doubt I'd want to apply to The Post again after this experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenge you faced either at work or personally. How did you overcome it?   Answer Question